Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times

Advertisements

Well this is my first foray into the books section of CD. So hi

I am a long-standing fan of science fiction, and throughout my life have found that, unlike many other genres, people seem to either love it or hate it.

The very first sci-fi book I read was John Christopher's "The White Mountains" - part of the "Tripod" trilogy. I was hooked. I moved on to Herbert, Clarke, Le guin, Poul Andersen, Asimov, Greg Bear and many others.

Was there a particular author or book that sparked the initial flame in your love affair with science fiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Goodness, I can't even remember. I suppose it was watching Star Trek that got me interested, but I think the first Sci-Fi book I read was I Robot by Asimov and the related books to that. Then I went off into a Sci-Fantasy tangent and read a lot of dragons/elves/magicians type novels (Anne McCaffrey, etc) but recently I've been drawn back to the more technical sci-fiction and am loving David Weber, Karl Schroeder and SL Viehl.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
I got interested in the genre because of Saturday afternoon movie matinées and the comic books I had loved growing up. I started reading my own book selections in high school after consuming the required reading list volumes. I had friends with similar tastes, one of whom must have lent me an SF book. The one that stands out in my memory is The Long Afternoon of Earth by Brian Aldiss. Not only is the story so incredible but his use of language is magnificent. He not only tells a story but delights your soul with his wonderfully crafted words

The Long Afternoon of Earth - Brian Aldiss

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I got interested in the genre because of Saturday afternoon movie matinées and the comic books I had loved growing up. I started reading my own book selections in high school after consuming the required reading list volumes. I had friends with similar tastes, one of whom must have lent me an SF book. The one that stands out in my memory is The Long Afternoon of Earth by Brian Aldiss. Not only is the story so incredible but his use of language is magnificent. He not only tells a story but delights your soul with his wonderfully crafted words

The Long Afternoon of Earth - Brian Aldiss
ooooo - just read the info on that link - definitely will check that one out!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Goodness, I can't even remember. I suppose it was watching Star Trek that got me interested, but I think the first Sci-Fi book I read was I Robot by Asimov and the related books to that. Then I went off into a Sci-Fantasy tangent and read a lot of dragons/elves/magicians type novels (Anne McCaffrey, etc) but recently I've been drawn back to the more technical sci-fiction and am loving David Weber, Karl Schroeder and SL Viehl.
I've always been more of a "hard" science fiction fan rather than a fan of the dragons/elves and fantasy tangent, with the exception of Tolkien and Laura Resnick (In Legend Born). That one made such a huge impact on me and I waited with bated breath for a LONG time until The White Dragon finally emerged to continue the story! I will definitely check out the above mentioned ones - I have gotten off science fiction for a while now but recently had the urge again and am on the hunt for some fresh stuff!

I love Star Trek as well (and the vast majority of sci-fi movies, regardless of how badly they may suck LOL).

Just heading out to see The Book of Eli tonight in fact

Old 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM

78 posts, read 330,422 times
T also started with the saturday sci fi tv. Some of the earliest books I remember are the EE Doc Smith series. Have not found many good recent true sci fi. Usually into post destruction.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I love Star Trek as well (and the vast majority of sci-fi movies, regardless of how badly they may suck LOL).

Just heading out to see The Book of Eli tonight in fact
ME TOO!!! I always go see them and never read the reviews. I even liked Terminator Salvation but I missed Pandorum. Book of Eli is Sunday for me.

David Weber's stuff is great altho mostly military-related stuff. SL Viehl has a strong female protagonist but sometimes her endings are a little too convenient. I just started Karl Schroeder and he definitely has an unusual imagination. I liked Hyperion a lot but I couldn't get to grips with Ilium or Olympos by Dan Simmons at all.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsci teacher View Post
T also started with the saturday sci fi tv. Some of the earliest books I remember are the EE Doc Smith series. Have not found many good recent true sci fi. Usually into post destruction.
Well if you are into films as well then The Book of Eli is post destruction
Just got back from it - I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
I became interested after reading Tales of Ten Worlds, an Arthur C Clarke anthology. Still my favorite, some amazing stories in there. I also preferred the more 'scienc-y' sci-fi, rather than fantasy. I'd also class Farenheit 451 as an inspiration, as well as Do Androids Really Dream of Electric Sheep? (how can you not love a title like that, especially at 15 years old?), which of course, was made into Blade Runner.

On a less literary level, the novel of Battlestar Galactica provided me with many happy hours of reliving the movie. That would be the original 1979 movie, which spawned the TV series. (Which I dont think was shown here in the colonies).

Old 01-15-2010, 05:32 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well this is my first foray into the books section of CD. So hi

I am a long-standing fan of science fiction, and throughout my life have found that, unlike many other genres, people seem to either love it or hate it.

The very first sci-fi book I read was John Christopher's "The White Mountains" - part of the "Tripod" trilogy. I was hooked. I moved on to Herbert, Clarke, Le guin, Poul Andersen, Asimov, Greg Bear and many others.

Was there a particular author or book that sparked the initial flame in your love affair with science fiction?
Used to watch Ray Bradbury stories on tv as a teen, which got me started on sci-fi. Read Azimov, Clark & Herbert. Have also read a few from "unknown" authors, names of which I no longer remember. Since the mid- seventies, I've been more into the horror genre and, starting about a decade ago, I got heavily into political and murder mystery novels. At this point I'd have to say I'll sit and read just about any well-written book in so many genres that my bookshelves resemble the shelves in a library! I still have copies of some Azimov, some Herbert all mixed in with my Stephen Kings, Clive Barkers, Tom Clancys. Dean Koontzs and James Pattersons as well as the Harry Potters, Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Currently reading mostly true crime books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books