Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM

172 posts, read 1,063,101 times

Advertisements

We have tons of books to sell!

After preparing to sell half of them to Powell's, I discovered Blue Rectangle. They offered me $174.33 for only 16 books! Is this too good to be true?

I Googled them but cannot find any reputable articles or reviews on them.

Has anyone had an experience selling books to these guys? Good or bad, please share.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Well, I hope someone knows. That sounds great. What exactly is Blue Rectangle and Powells? Thanks

Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Well, I hope someone knows. That sounds great. What exactly is Blue Rectangle and Powells? Thanks
Powell's is huge. One of their 5 stores takes up an entire city block in Portland! I've never actually been there but heard great things about it. They have offered us almost $300 for 100 or so used books. All you do is create an account, enter ISBNs, and if you accept their offer you can print free Media Mail postage from home. Ship it off and they pay via store credit or less if you want it deposited to your Papyal account. Google Powell's if you're interested.

I don't know that much about Blue Rectangle, except that they supposedly buy used books as well. Trying to find out if they are reputable.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Thanks. I'll try to find some info on Blue Rectangle. I never knew that you could mail books for free!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,544 times
Blue Rectangle as of June 1st 2009 has a rating of "D-" on the BBB

Powells has an "A"

To me the risk of being ripped off, or having ANY hassle of any kind trying to sell books completely deters me from dealing with someone.

I've never sold anything to Blue Rectangle, but i'm trying to figure out how they sell this "massive" inventory they have, their california storefront wouldn't be big enough ya know?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
I think it would attract more people to do something like that if they sent us pay pal first, then let us print the mailer and mail it. I really hate the idea of mailing off some of my books and then not getting anything back. That would worry me.

Ever watch those Cash4Gold commercials? All these paid actors putting their precious gold in the bag and sending it in and all happy to get their checks. They never show the amounts though. I heard very bad things about that company, and who in their right mind would trust someone like that? Better to go to your local jeweler or pawn shop. You will get more.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farismitri View Post
Blue Rectangle as of June 1st 2009 has a rating of "D-" on the BBB

Powells has an "A"

To me the risk of being ripped off, or having ANY hassle of any kind trying to sell books completely deters me from dealing with someone.

I've never sold anything to Blue Rectangle, but i'm trying to figure out how they sell this "massive" inventory they have, their california storefront wouldn't be big enough ya know?
Funny. We ended up having a great experience with Blue Rectangle. They paid us around $120 for 7 books. Powell's however claims to have lost one of our boxes and we are out $150!!

As far as Blue Rectangle goes, they sell on eBay--that's how they deal with their inventory.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,917 times
Better Business ratings are a joke. All it takes is a couple nut jobs to lower your rating even if the complaints are resolved. Blue Rectangle and Powell's are both reputable book sellers and I have dealt with both. I live near Blue Rectangle's "brick n' mortar" shop in Alameda, CA and can tell you it is a popular place for books, music, and vids. Besides e-bay Blue Rectangle sells through Amazon and of course at their store front. You will not "get ripped off".

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,917 times
Forgot to mention that per the question by "ferismitri" about how they deal with their inventory; I asked and Blue Rectangle has a warehouse at a seperate local from their store front and that issue has little to nothing to do with any sales on ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books