Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

I highly recommend Jodi Picoult. The two books I've read by her are both about young girls and their mothers ("Keeping Faith" and "My Sister's Keeper")---they are wonderfully insightful and exraordinarily good writing. They both explore very controversial social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
I just read "The Mysterious Private Thompson", a true story about a young lady who lived as a man (a very good traveling salesman) before joining a Michigan regiment to fight in the Civil War. I think it's a good read for anyone but especially for teenagers.

Amazingly there were between 250 and 500 women who served in uniform in the Civil War, generally when found out they were sent home to their parents. This lady, Sarah Emma Edmonds, revealed herself to at least one, and probably more fellow soldiers.

She was so well respected that years after the war she petitioned to have her status (she was listed as a deserter) changed and for a pension based on her injuries (a horse fell on her while she was delivering mail to her regiment). Amazingly the petition for the pension went through Congress without any difficulty but the one changing her status took longer so she was actually receiving a pension while still listed as a deserter.

She is the only femal soldier of that era to have her service acknowledged and to receive a pension.

Good read.

golfgod

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Definitely Little House books.

McGurk mysteries.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
I will add a little known but terrific book for pre-teen and young teen girls. . . Wisechild by Monica Furlong. This is an entertaining "page turner" that deals with real life situations of dysfunctional families, not looking like a "superstar'", etc. At it's worst it is well written and entertaining, at it's best it is inspirational and instructive.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

51 posts, read 87,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I just read "The Mysterious Private Thompson", a true story about a young lady who lived as a man (a very good traveling salesman) before joining a Michigan regiment to fight in the Civil War. I think it's a good read for anyone but especially for teenagers.

Amazingly there were between 250 and 500 women who served in uniform in the Civil War, generally when found out they were sent home to their parents. This lady, Sarah Emma Edmonds, revealed herself to at least one, and probably more fellow soldiers.

She was so well respected that years after the war she petitioned to have her status (she was listed as a deserter) changed and for a pension based on her injuries (a horse fell on her while she was delivering mail to her regiment). Amazingly the petition for the pension went through Congress without any difficulty but the one changing her status took longer so she was actually receiving a pension while still listed as a deserter.

She is the only femal soldier of that era to have her service acknowledged and to receive a pension.

Though I have never read it, one of my daughter's favorite books of all time is A Little Princess.

Good read.

golfgod
A Soldier's Secret is along the same vein. Deborah Sampson posed as a man to fight in the Revolutionary War. It is a quick read about an extraordinary woman who went to great lengths to hide her gender. (including removing a musket ball from her own leg) It is believed that General John Patterson was aware of the truth, but did not reveal her secret, and she was granted an honorable discharge from the Army.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM

70 posts, read 265,128 times
For younger girls, the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary are a great! Those were some of my childhood favs!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
I read a few books in a series by this author called Cynthia Voight. One is called Dicey's Song.. There are a few books in what they call The Tillerman Series.

Google her or go to where they sell books online. Very interesting books. I'd recommend them.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,378 times
A beautiful series that both my son and daughter loves and I really enjoyed too was the trilogy :Dragon Keeper by Calore Wilkinson.

I can also recommend for pre-teens the series : The Companions Quartet. by Julia Golding. Four very good books

and my daughter is really enjoying the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books