Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM

559 posts, read 650,999 times

Advertisements

I usually get obsessed with a book, and can't put it down, and finish within a day or two, or sometimes I will procrastinate, and take a few weeks/a month. Rarely a happy medium...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4eyes View Post
I usually get obsessed with a book, and can't put it down, and finish within a day or two, or sometimes I will procrastinate, and take a few weeks/a month. Rarely a happy medium...
I'm the same way -- I can blow through a book in a day (or even two in a day), or take forever to finish it. Lately, though, while I've been buying books at my usual rate, I haven't been reading them -- we moved two months ago and getting the house in shape (and dealing with a sick dog) and listing books and DVDs I'll never read or watch again on Amazon (then mailing them out) has been taking up a lot of my time. At night, I just can't settle my mine enough to read, so I just watch TV.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa4eyes View Post
I'm the same.

I have been known to read a book in a couple of hours or to leave one for months and go back to it . If I don't want to keep turning the pages though , it's usually a bad sign and I have finally taught myself that unless I enjoy it the book has to go ...

It has taken me years but now I can be quite savage . I used to feel I had to read through everything I started and then realised life was too shorts. I think I used to see it as a challenge, now it's bye-bye unless it keeps my interest going. I tried to read "Ulysses" by Joyce over and over again , feeling like a failure for hating that miserable book but now it's out of my house and someone else can "enjoy" it !

Usually a book takes me 4 or 5 hours unless I am utterly entranced by it. If I don't have to do anything else of course .

Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Depends how much time I have to read and how long the book is. I read books that are only 300-some pages and some that exceed 900. Sometimes, I only have time to read for 20 mins before bed, other times I have all day. On average, it usually takes about a few days to a week - the all time fastest was in one day - longest was probably a few months.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I have books that I choose for myself and then books I have to read for a book discussion group that were chosen by the group. If I don't finish the books I chose for myself in three or less days, I'll probably abandon them. The book group books I sometimes force myself to read and only handle a few pages at a time because there are points in them I want to research and refute and that's something I feel I have to do immediately and not wait until I finish the book.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
I read a couple of books per week average, except if I have no time because of college or if I have a book "not-so-good" and I read other texts between

Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I am like that, too, either I read it within a couple of days, or else it takes forever . If a book doesn't grip me in the beginning, sometimes I never finish it at all.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-22-2010, 01:34 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
It depends on the book! The author's style, the type of story, and of course if I am very busy or not... There's no rule for me, it can take me a couple of days (if I just love the book and have nothing else to do!), or take several weeks...

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
I think the fastest I've ever read a single book was when I got my copy of the seventh volume in the Harry Potter series. Had my son take me to Borders 9 am on the day it came out and I was finished reading it before dinner! But, as someone else said, it depends largely on the book - whether, like the HP, I've been waiting for it; whether it captures my attention right away; and if it's something I'm reading because I want to or because someone told me I should. I've read some books that I just zip right through and some that I'll spend a week or longer reading.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
I usually finish in two days. I read mostly paperbacks with about 400 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books