U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

191 posts, read 512,353 times

Advertisements

Do you have a wireless reading device? If so, which one? What are the pros/cons? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 AM

9,547 posts, read 14,986,155 times
I have the Kindle app on my iPhone. When I was looking into whether buying the Kindle device would be worth it - only half of my to-read list was available on Kindle in the US and only half of that was available on Kindle in the UK (and I'm in the UK). Hundreds of dollars on a device to read 1/4 of my to-read list? No thanks! I'm holding out for the Apple Tablet in hopes Apple do it properly and get all publishers/authors on board like they did with iTunes Music Store. They've delayed the announcement of it long enough so I'm hoping it's because they were working on getting a better book supply than Kindle.

As for the iPhone Kindle app, it's great! The only downsides are the screen is pretty small and it doesn't support magazines or newspapers like the Kindle device does. But it's free so I can't really complain. The up side is that it's on your phone so you always have it with you and it's much smaller than a dedicated e-reader device. If you already have the iPhone or iPod Touch, it's a great way to read Kindle books without spending the money on a device. The iPhone naturally has a lit screen too, whereas one of the downsides I saw to the Kindle device is that it's not backlit. I haven't looked into suppliers for the Sony device but on Kindle, I love that you can get a free sample of every book so you can read the first chapter or two for free and see if you like it before buying it.

Sorry, I can really comment on the devices themselves but like I say, the book supply for them is pretty weak at the moment so I don't see the point in spending that kind of money on them yet.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,021,831 times
Another question...Many books I read have maps and color photos in them.. Does Kindle show pictures and color? I probably will never get one.. just curious.. nothing like the 'feel' of a 'real' book

Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,562,431 times
I have a Kindle 1 and my husband has a Kindle 2. We carry them everywhere we go and read all the time. We also both have the Kindle app on our iPhones, but don't use it as often as we do our Kindles.

Trudy Rose: The Kindle does not have color photographs...black and white only. I still buy cookbooks and anything that would contain photos, but I read so many novels that the Kindle is perfect for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM

9,547 posts, read 14,986,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Another question...Many books I read have maps and color photos in them.. Does Kindle show pictures and color? I probably will never get one.. just curious.. nothing like the 'feel' of a 'real' book
It shows pictures but not in color. There's been speculation of a color screen in the future but I have a strong feeling Amazon plan to quit the market when the Apple Tablet comes out. The iPhone is in color but I haven't read any books with pictures in them on the app so I don't know if they'd show in color or not.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,021,831 times
Well.. that does it for me And I have no desire for an Apple Tablet or Ipod...I can't even figure out a cell phone!!! Thanks PA2UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or