Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM

5,650 posts, read 6,210,090 times

Advertisements

I also prefer books but once a month I travel across state and a large art of it has nothing by way of radio that I like. So for a while I listened to audio books, and I really enjoyed it. I still do, but decided I couldn't justify the expense. They cost a lot. Now I just listen to music CDs, which can be enjoyed again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
So for a while I listened to audio books, and I really enjoyed it. I still do, but decided I couldn't justify the expense.
Try the public library. I don't exactly live in metropolis, and our library has a pretty decent collection. And most libraries these days have inter-library loan systems as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
When audio books first came out I thought that'd be just great!

But, it wasn't for me. I find that end up missing things, but mostly, just find that after a while I begin drifting and losing focus. If driving, I find that it just becomes background noise that I'm not particularly paying attention to...I'll suddenly realize I wasn't listening, have lost track of what's going on and have to back it up.

I just don't even bother any more and haven't for years and years.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 AM

270 posts, read 487,987 times
I've tried 2 different audio books and so far don't like them much. The first had too much forced acting (the story itself was kinda bad so that didn't help) and the one I just recently tried to listen to is set in Italy so the reader is using a fake Italian accent. So annoying!!! But I got it from the library so at least it's free I might try out another one or two from the library but I definitely think it's an acquired taste...

Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
Not since the end of each chapter was announced with 'BING'.
I prefer to shut everything out and escape with a good book.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

356 posts, read 916,665 times
When I pick out an audio book for myself, I avoid books that I really want to read. If a book is on my to-be-read short list or is from a favorite author, I won't waste the newness of the story by listening

But, I think audio books are great for some people and purposes. I used to listen to audio books on car trips and sometimes when commuting by car and appreciated them for these purposes. (I currently have young children so it is hard to use them on car trips now and I commute by bus currently and get to actually read). My mom listens to them before bed and finds that they help her to fall asleep. My Grandfather hardly read but use to listen to audio books.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,755 times
I have a few audio books downloaded from itunes, to listen on my ipod when I'm out running. I find it's a great way of combining two activities into one!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
I downloaded "The Lost Symbol" audio book. Only into chapter 3 but so far its pretty good. Good thing to do while at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books