Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times

Advertisements

We will be discussing the above mentioned book, here, on this thread... in February. Everyone is welcome to join!

The topic of the book is a young girl that disappears and the search for her...you can read more about the book here:

Amazon.com: The Year of Fog (Bantam Discovery): Michelle Richmond: Books

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Hope everyone is able to get a copy from the library or a bookstore. I received mine and have started reading...

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Ok, I finally finished mine tonight. I have to say I sometimes had to push myself to keep reading. For some reason this book was really depressing to me. I liked the story, just wish the book had been about 1/3 shorter. The story seemed to drag a bit.... JMHO. Having said that, the last chapters were a very fast read for me. I didn't know going into this how the story would end and I was pleased with the ending. A storybook "happy" ending would have been too far-fetched.

It was interesting to see how the two adult main characters dealt with the disappearance of Emma in such different way. I found myself wondering how I would deal with this, if it had happened to me....

This is one of my favorite parts in the book'

I did not understand then that I was at the beginning of something, that each choice leads to some other choice, and another, so that a single, seemingly meaningless decision reverberates through an entire life.

This really resonated with me....

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-17-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM

15 posts, read 30,974 times
Hope, this book would be going to be an interesting reading.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
I did not understand then that I was at the beginning of something, that each choice leads to some other choice, and another, so that a single, seemingly meaningless decision reverberates through an entire life.

This really resonated with me....
Was this quote from the beginning? If not, there was something similar. And at first I didn't like it...thought "oh, THAT'S her gimick", but then the "circle" theme grew on me. It is so true.

okay, MY story!

I lost my daughter once, at the beach.

I was at a beach in SC w/my brother and sister, D and 12 month old S. I had my kids in the water, and as we came out, I asked D if she was hungry, she said "no". D stopped at a broken palm my brother was climbing and I kept going up to the blanket. It was approx 30 ft. At the blanket my sister and I looked inside the cooler and picked some things out. I decided that I was going to give D a sandwich anyhow.

I go back towards the tree (and the water), and don't see her. Look around. Weird, there isn't anywhere the view is blocked, unless she had gone passed me. I walk back to my sister to ask if she thought that was possible?? Then I realized I needed to find her NOW. This was within 3-4 minutes. I start yelling her name, yelling at my brother to get down from the tree, and I have to decide which way I'm going to go....there aren't many (any?) people in the water where we were, and after going a few feet in, I decide I don't think that's it....

I run to my sister, hurl my baby at her and tell her to find a ranger. Finally someone down from us says they saw a little girl go "that" way....little, she was FOUR! I start running down the beach...at first I don't even see her, finally I do see her...in silhouette, she was so far. She is walking away from me, can't hear me...AND, there is a man. I was too far to tell if he was with her or walking a short distance from her. By now I am running as fast as I can, screaming her name over and over....

I'm gaining ground, and can see the man more clearly, so I'm screaming "MAN IN THE BLUE SHORTS STOP MY DAUGHTER", it takes many many times before he hears/responds.

My D finally turns around, and is heading towards me. By the time I reach her, I am so hysterical, screaming and crying...I couldn't really get an answer from her as to if she was "with" him or not... her story has changed over the years, I think I missed the opportunity for her to convey what she thought happened, as opposed to what I thought.

Later, we drove the car parralel to the beach...it was almost a HALF MILE that she had walked/wandered!!! I still can't believe she could get so far in that short time.

whoof..., now I can't comment on the book.

But you can see where I am coming from, when I share my thoughts!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM

Yes, I would think you have a TOTALLY different perspective! That must have been horrifying, thankfully your story has a happy ending! It is one of those things that you can not really imagine unless it happens to you, I think.

The part I quoted was at the end of chapter 80. It resonated with me, because I have made choices in life, that seemed not so important at the time, but once you made them they take you on a totally different path, only in hindsight can I see this.

How did you feel about the characters? Did you feel more sympathetic to Jake or Abby?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
I.m still on the fence. When I first started it after I reached the part when Emma vanished wasn't quite sure I could finish it...to long worded...dragged on & on
I knew from the start Lisbeth was somehow involved and became very disappointed in Jake for not seeing this...

Chick lit for sure

Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
This book was an interesting story surrounded by way too much psychological analysis of memory, etc. I finished it but I didnt find it to be a great read.

And like the poster above, I knew that somehow Lisbeth was involved.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
This book was an interesting story surrounded by way too much psychological analysis of memory, etc. I finished it but I didnt find it to be a great read.

And like the poster above, I knew that somehow Lisbeth was involved.
That was soooooooooo transparent don't you think?
At first I thought she had her but than when she popped up..I thought well maybe not but she's still involved I knew she must of had a connection to the surfer couple in the van.
To add insult to injury where in the hell did someone like Lisbeth come up with 10 Grand to pay off Teddy & Jane..unless I missed something in to many boring details

Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 AM

maybe drug dealing? I was wondering the same thing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books