Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The adventures of boy wizard Harry Potter can stay in Gwinnett County school libraries, despite a mother's objections, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Laura Mallory, who argued the popular fiction series is an attempt to indoctrinate children in witchcraft, said she still wants the best-selling books removed and may take her case to federal court.

"I maybe need a whole new case from the ground up," said Mallory, who was not represented by an attorney at the hearing.

Ga. judge: Keep Potter books in school - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
I don't think she has a case. I've read every HP book so far and saw all the movies and while some HP-magic relates to practices of believers in the religious form of witchcraft, I see no effort on the part of the books to promote witchcraft as a religion.

In the HP books, witchcraft is treated as a practiced art and science indepdendent of religion. There are no deities, no praying, no promulgation of faith or dogma.

While there is talk of the soul, the books state that there is no knowledge of what happens to the soul at death unless it is magically kept in this world via what is regarded (in the books) as an evil form of magic. Otherwise, the books state that the dead cannot be brought back to life. That is the only subject that I imagine might have religious overtones, but it's a stretch.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Psychosis can take many forms...

Old 05-29-2007, 07:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Some folks need to get a life. HP books have so many redeeming values: love friendship and loyalty are demonstrated as the most valuable, and the obverse values are demonstrated to be counterproductive at best. Politically correct folks have attempted to ban Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, etc. They have even tried to ben Fahrenheit 451 (gasp). I think the last was because it cut a little close to their home values as arbiters of human thought. JMO, of course as always. But seriously... this woman is nuts.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
They have even tried to ben Fahrenheit 451 (gasp). I think the last was because it cut a little close to their home values as arbiters of human thought.
Nothing so lofty.

Attempts to ban Fahrenheit 451 stem from its use of profanity, "taking God's name in vain," and objectionable references to The Bible.

Quote:
"It's just all kinds of filth," said Alton Verm, adding that he had not read Fahrenheit 451 [emphasis mine]. "The words don't need to be brought out in class. I want to get the book taken out of the class."

He looked through the book and found the following things wrong with the book: discussion of being drunk, smoking cigarettes, violence, "dirty talk," references to the Bible and using God's name in vain. He said the book's material goes against their religions beliefs. The Verms go to Grand Parkway Church in Porter.

"We went them to go after God," said Glen Jalowy Jr., Grand Parkway Church youth minister. "We encourage them that what you put in your mind and heart is what comes out." -The Courier of Montgomery County (broken link)

Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 PM

I stand corrected. Obviously Harry Potter is dangerous!

- The Onion

Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM

45 posts, read 263,752 times
I found this tidbit amusing.

Pensacola News Journal

Emphasis added:

Quote:
“They don’t want the Easter Bunny’s power,” Mallory said. “The children in our generation want Harry’s power, and they’re getting it.”

Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
“They don’t want the Easter Bunny’s power,” Mallory said. “The children in our generation want Harry’s power, and they’re getting it.
Where? Where? Hell, if I could get that beat-up O-Cedar in my utility closet to fly I'd have the best commute in the world. I don't want a lot of power, just enough to make my broom fly. Broom flying is a first year course anyway. Should be easy!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I stand corrected. Obviously Harry Potter is dangerous!

- The Onion
LOL... I don't know, those kids look awfully dangerous!! As a librarian, of course I find the objections to Harry Potter ludicrous, considering it's made reading "cool" again - often for kids who wouldn't have been caught dead picking up a book before HP. When I see kids lined up at bookstores & libraries, having book parties, and dressing up to emulate a literary character, I don't really care what the plot is about!

P.S. I love "The Onion"... one of the musicians always brings copies to my orchestra rehearsals, and we can't contain our laughter flipping through it (much to the annoyance of our conductor, even though he loves it too - LOL).

Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Nothing so lofty.

Attempts to ban Fahrenheit 451 stem from its use of profanity, "taking God's name in vain," and objectionable references to The Bible.
Ah yes... for every book, there is somebody who will object to it, right? We actually celebrate "Banned Books Week" through the American Library Association, and proudly display all the books that people have attempted to ban over the last year. I'm sure Harry Potter will be among our 2007 display!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books