Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

580 posts, read 964,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What do you think?
Writers Store: Wreck This Journal: to Create Is to Destroy - Keri Smith
A book that's meant to be destroyed? Tearing up a book, any book, it's just so wrong.
But then again, for a frustrated writer.... so very tempting LOL.

My daughter got this book for herself. I'm curious to see if she can actually bring herself to tear it up, since she's been taught to respect books the same way I do.
I think it's an interesting concept. Normally I would like to see a book kept for as long as possible but if the instructions say to wreck it then so be it. Other than all of the stuff inside dedicated to the destruction of the book and the pages therein there is't anything really useful or entertaining in there. Besides that, people would doodle and do things to other books if they are bored enough so why not have a special place for them to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
I've never run across this book in almost 20 years of bookselling lol. But...when you're a bookseller, you have the unhappy painful duty of stripping paperbacks and magazines on a monthly basis for returns to the publishers. So it seems wasteful to me, to create a book specifically for destruction. I remember my first time stripping a book, thinking there had to be someone somewhere, who would want this book!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
My daughter got this "book" as a gift. It is really just a novelty/project sort of thing. We had a lot of fun with it over the holidays as it sat around and everyone took a stab at it - literally in some cases.

On one page you were to add white things to the page. She plucked some of her Dad's abundant supply of white hairs and taped them to the page.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On the contrary, I think about half the books in the world ought to be burned for fuel or mulched for agriculture. I arrived at this conclusion after helping my stepdaughter move four times, every time moving the same six boxes of books, none of them having been opened between moves.

In the average library, I bet 80% of the books will never, ever be opened again until the end of time. Books on overstock tables might get sold, but the buyer (or gift recipient) will probably page through it for a minute or two, then never open it again. Think how many tons and tons of books there are explaining how to do things on computers that don't even exist anymore, or other technical or how-to books for obsolete processes. There are entire skyscrapers packed tight with books that will never again be opened. JFK was shot from one. Used book stores are full of books that will never be sold or read.

Magazines get shredded, newspapers get turned into insulation and egg cartons. What make books more sacred? Maybe books ought to be printed with temporary ink that starts to fade after a few years, and in a decade, the pages are plain white. To be used for personal journals, or scratch paper, or scrabble score pads.
you advocate the burning of books, that books should be temporary, how about history books jtur88?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
you advocate the burning of books, that books should be temporary, how about history books jtur88?
I didn't advocate burning ALL books, nor that ALL books should be temporary.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
I've never seen this book. I've seen similar ones, though. I was given one as a young teen, but gave it away.
I think the concept is okay for those who really are intimidated by a blank page.

Me? I buy those school notebooks when they go on sale just before school starts... usually 10 - $1.00! I write my journals in some and my poetry in others. The journals get destroyed eventually, while the poetry gets added to my growing online files. I do tend to hold on to my poetry notebooks, but that is ONLY because there are poems in each of them that have never been typed out.

I don't feel bad destroying something I paid a dime for... 13 bucks? Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books