U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM

9,238 posts, read 20,100,045 times

Advertisements

Oryx and Crake should be read along with The Year of The Flood. They both take place in the same dystopian world, and some of the characters overlap. They can be read as separate books, but they really do complement each other, and fill in some of each other's blanks.

Handmaid's Tale was her biggest classic, and I've read it several times. Atwood is an author with whom I disagree with most of her politics, but she's such a good writer, I still read her stuff and enjoy it. Handmaid's Tale paints a picture of a horrible future society if religious conservatives were in charge of the US. So you really get a sense of her opinions about religion, and the relationship of men and women. I can still put all that aside and really enjoy the book however. (Most conservatives in the US really just want less government control, not the oppressive tyranical government that Atwood portrays. Also, most of us conservatives see men and women as equals. But I cut Atwood some slack, as she came from a whole background of pre-baby-boomer feminism during a time when women really were treated as inforior.)

I've also read lots of her other books--not futuristic or dystopian, but more explorations of relationships among people, which serve as metaphors for the world as a whole. The Edible Woman, The Robber Bride, The Blind Assassin, Surfacing. Her feminism pokes through here and there, but is not offensive, at least to me.

Damn, just realized this was a necro-post. Sorry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 10,463,791 times
The Handmaid's Tale is one of my half-dozen all-time favorite books.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 AM

28,192 posts, read 22,069,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oryx and Crake should be read along with The Year of The Flood. They both take place in the same dystopian world, and some of the characters overlap. They can be read as separate books, but they really do complement each other, and fill in some of each other's blanks.

Handmaid's Tale was her biggest classic, and I've read it several times. Atwood is an author with whom I disagree with most of her politics, but she's such a good writer, I still read her stuff and enjoy it. Handmaid's Tale paints a picture of a horrible future society if religious conservatives were in charge of the US. So you really get a sense of her opinions about religion, and the relationship of men and women. I can still put all that aside and really enjoy the book however. (Most conservatives in the US really just want less government control, not the oppressive tyranical government that Atwood portrays. Also, most of us conservatives see men and women as equals. But I cut Atwood some slack, as she came from a whole background of pre-baby-boomer feminism during a time when women really were treated as inforior.)

I've also read lots of her other books--not futuristic or dystopian, but more explorations of relationships among people, which serve as metaphors for the world as a whole. The Edible Woman, The Robber Bride, The Blind Assassin, Surfacing. Her feminism pokes through here and there, but is not offensive, at least to me.

Damn, just realized this was a necro-post. Sorry.
I think it is important to note that most intelligent people realize there is a difference between religious conservatives and political conservatives.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM

19,447 posts, read 17,548,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The Handmaid's Tale is one of my half-dozen all-time favorite books.
Mine also; it definitely made one think. This thread makes me realize that I need to look into Atwood's other books.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,728,469 times
She's Canadian. So am I.
I read The Edible Woman in school -- it was required reading for an English class.
I don't *do* dystopian stories.
I once tried to read Alias Grace but couldn't get into it. I think I'm going to give it another try, though. The story concept is totally up my alley, so I suspect that I just wasn't in the right headspace for it when I tried to read it.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM

606 posts, read 1,011,118 times
Besides her novels, she has some pretty incredible short stories. An if you have an hour to spare, I highly highly highly recommend reading her short story Death by Landscape. Disturbing, haunting, and a thinker. She's really quite a talented writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books