Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Do you ever see something in a novel that you know would be impossible, because the author was apparently unaware of a fact? Often these would be anachronisms in period novels. They run rampant through movies, but occur in novels as well.

Recently I found some in Paulette Jiles' wonderful book "Stormy Weather", which is an excellent read (I highly recommend it). but she didn't research her Texas bird life very well.

She referenced a flock of Cattle Egrets in a pasture following the cows, but this book took place in the Depression (1930s), and the Cattle Egret is an invasive species from Africa, that did not reach the US until 1941. She also mentioned Rosy Finches, but probably meant Purple Finch, since the Rosy Finch is a bird of mountain habitat, and is never seen in Texas. Also a reference to large flocks of White-wings, which is what Texans call the White-winged Dove, but that was very uncommon then in the Mineral Wells area, where she was at the time, and only in the past couple of decades did it begin to colonize central Texas in large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:48 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
You have to suspend some disbelief to enjoy a fictional novel. There will always be something that is wrong or just plain wouldn't happen in the real world.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yeah, but he's talking about the inclusion of facts that you could easily access and correctly incorporate. Not suspending disbelief in order to enjoy some plot twist.

Yeah...I don't know why the medicine is so many novels (or tv) is just so flat-out wrong. Even when it's not being used for dramatic effect.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You have to suspend some disbelief to enjoy a fictional novel. There will always be something that is wrong or just plain wouldn't happen in the real world.
I agree. unless the fact is very important to the plot and the fact that it's wrong somehow influences it, I try to look over it (though it does aggravate me at times).

Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Depending on the novel, I confess I may not catch factual errors - there's so much more that I don't know than I do know, ya know?

BUT, what really frosts me is getting a book out of the public library and finding that an earlier borrower of the book "corrected", in pen, any "mistakes" they may have found - factual, grammatical, etc.

I put "corrected" and "mistakes" in quotes because in several books, something that was originally correct was made incorrect!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Depending on the novel, I confess I may not catch factual errors - there's so much more that I don't know than I do know, ya know?

BUT, what really frosts me is getting a book out of the public library and finding that an earlier borrower of the book "corrected", in pen, any "mistakes" they may have found - factual, grammatical, etc.

I put "corrected" and "mistakes" in quotes because in several books, something that was originally correct was made incorrect!
Wouldn't it be worse if somebody penciled in "She's gonna die in chapter 13"?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,647 times
Unless it's glaringly obvious and detracts from the work of literature overall, I guess I could care less about certain particular bits of information. Usually I just try to imagine the literature as images in my head and just go along with the story. Like I said, unless it's horrendously obvious then I just go along with the story.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Actually, it falls into the category with contrails and high power lines in the scenes in Revolutionary War pictures, or boom mikes visible in mirrors, or license plates with numbers not in accord with that state's number-letter mix. It amuses some people to detect them, and some not.

Birds in movies are notorious. The Foley editor takes his family on weekends to the southern California desert and hears Cactus Wrens everywhere, so he puts them into the soundtrack of movies that are set in the east. Or Africa.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Birds in movies are notorious. The Foley editor takes his family on weekends to the southern California desert and hears Cactus Wrens everywhere, so he puts them into the soundtrack of movies that are set in the east. Or Africa.
Yep. And it drives people like me nuts.

There's a blogger with the handle "Birdchick" and she nailed it on the head with her entry, [URL="http://www.birdchick.com/wp/2010/03/open-letter-to-david-frankel-red-hour-films/"]"Open Letter to David Frankel & Red Hour Films"[/URL] a few weeks ago.

Your original post had me nodding affirmative, too. I'm not as well-versed in birds and birding, but I do notice things and it's a distraction that shows a lack of conscientiousness on the writer's part and makes for a less pleasurable experience on mine as a reader.

I'm a health writer and I see such carelessness with the way certain diseases are treated in novels, too, particularly cancer and diabetes. It's sloppy, especially when it really doesn't take that much effort to research treatments or work with professionals in getting the facts straight.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Fortunately, I don't know enough about birds to notice something like that. If there is something really obvious though, yes, it bothers me. Like the comment "I could care less" in a historical novel about Joanna of Castile. You don't have to be an expert in any field to know that's just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books