Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I'm probably about half way through it....and I love it. I had a whole stack of books waiting to be read. When I picked it up, I realized that's the movie that's just out. Can't wait to finish it.
Finished it...stayed up all night. An absolutely wonderful read. I am going to check out the movie; wondering if any of you have done so, and which you liked the best. On to my next book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I liked it so much that I read it twice.
I loved this book. After reading the library copy, I bought my own when I saw it used. I'm seeing the movie this weekend.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I loved this book. After reading the library copy, I bought my own when I saw it used. I'm seeing the movie this weekend.
One of the movie reviewers in our city gave the movie a rating of 3.5/5. I've never seen so many angry responses from movie goers. They loved the movie Can hardly wait to see it myself.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I searched for this in Search this Forum and was kind of surprised that I did not find anything about it. Has anyone else read this very poignant amazing book ? I would love to chat about it if you have. Absolutely one of the best books I have ever read.
I have tried three different times to read this book. My wife loves it. I just really can't stand the 'voice' it's written in. It's grating to read.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have tried three different times to read this book. My wife loves it. I just really can't stand the 'voice' it's written in. It's grating to read.
I'm left scratching my head at the raving reviews. I read it when it first came out and thought, "Well, that was ok," but I doubt I'll reread it. I fail to understand the awe and marvel.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Great, great book im looking forward to see the movie. I have seen the previews and im not liking the choice of girl for Skeeter, I was thinking of someone more lanky someone like Jenna Malone.
I enjoyed the book. I didn't LOVE it and wouldn't include it on my favorite list, but I read it quickly as it was pretty engaging. As I have said before, I thought the characterization was pretty unbalanced and way too sterotypical to be real.

I agree that Emma Stone didn't seem like a good choice for Skeeter, but when I saw the movie, I completely changed my mind. She was pretty perfect - gangly, scratchy voiced, "diamond in the rough" pretty.

The movie was.... pretty. Very, very pretty. Great clothes, great period furnishings, delicious looking food. Very visually appealing. Pretty much what I expected from the book.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I have heard rave after rave review about the movie from my friends. It has me intrigued.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Most of my book group friends have seen the movie and as for me I think I will wait for the dvd to come out and rent it in the privacy of my home . That way I can take breaks without missing parts of the movie . I loved the book and cannot wait to see the movie .

Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I'm left scratching my head at the raving reviews. I read it when it first came out and thought, "Well, that was ok," but I doubt I'll reread it. I fail to understand the awe and marvel.
My personal opinion is that not everyone will find popular, well-loved books as great as the majority. There will always be some people who don't enjoy or only think it was okay. I read the "Twilight" series and I'm still scratching my head at the rave reviews over that one.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:16 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
My personal opinion is that not everyone will find popular, well-loved books as great as the majority. There will always be some people who don't enjoy or only think it was okay. I read the "Twilight" series and I'm still scratching my head at the rave reviews over that one.
That's true. I have not read the Twilight books because I have absolutely no interest in that genre. I would say that I wasn't necessarily disappointed by The Help. It's a nice, quick, light read. I appreciate that it has attracted people to reading, like Harry Potter or Twilight, but it won't go down on my top 10 or top 100. That's ok though. Like you say (paraphrasing here) different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books