Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 16,850 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Boston for 1 year. I'm thinking about moving to a Archstone apartment at 30 Cambridge park drive. It's near by Alewife T station.
The only reason I am hesitating to make a decision is a safty issue.
I found some comments warning unsafety around Alewife T station on the web.
Even some people recommended taking some weapon like mace. (It's uncomfortable to me by itself..)
I think usually I'll take off T at Alewife statoin around 9PM, and sometimes 10PM.

Is area around Alewife T station unsafe for walking alone at night?

What about Fresh pond shopping center? Because I really like to watch movies, I may go to the movie theater in Fresh pond shopping center at night frequently. I'll go there and back home by walk alone. Is walking around Fresh pond area at night unsafe, too?

FYI, I'm a man in early 30's, not so big, but not so small.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Alewife Station and the immediate area are as safe as can be. You'd be perfectly fine walking between there and the apt complex you speak of, which is right across the street. The restaurants on that side (Bertucci's and Summer Shack) help keep the environment "alive" with traffic and pedestrian activity.
As for crossing the big commuter-rail overpass on Alewife Brook Parkway to patronize the strip malls and cineplex, only do that by daylight. More good people than bad live in those ugly brick high-rises by the tracks, and in the public housing "development" just to the east, but there's still more than enough bad to go around. I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of the stores with a car I could stash my purchases in and drive away, but someone carrying shopping bags and walking under the parkway to get to the other side makes for a tempting target. And although the neighborhood is hardly a cesspool of crime, muggings and even carjackings from the vicinity of the theater aren't unheard of. Once you see that most of the movies shown there should've gone straight to DVD (hahaha) and/or are aimed towards adolescents you'll realize it's not a hardship to either only go during matinee times or avoid the place entirely. The Capital Theatre in nearby Arlington, and the Loew's in Harvard Square, are but two places where a higher caliber of films is on the marquee.
Alewife and vicinity can feel isolated due to there being nothing in the immediate surroundings beyond offices and apartments save for the restaurants mentioned. The plus side of that is, just behind the station's "overflow" parking garage is the start of the Alewife Reservation. It's a natural area which extends all the way west into Belmont, and is blessedly "undiscovered" so that you're not sharing the space with hundreds of other nature lovers (which kinda defeats the purpose of getting back to nature!) And the 11+ mile-long Minuteman Bike Trail originates there, a great way to travel all the way to Bedford on your own two feet or Rollerblades or wheels. I trek the trail from Alewife pretty regularly when heading to Lexington or Arlington in lieu of catching a bus.
The minus side? Well, that would be the necessity of having to either brave speeding vehicles and the criminally-minded to go to the nearest mall/theaters OR riding the Red Line or one of the fairly infrequent buses to get elsewhere. If you're a walker and/or nature afficionado by day and a homebody by night you'd enjoy living there. Otherwise, not so much. And either way, unless you have the means of paying "whole check" prices at Whole Foods and the inclination to do so any major food shopping would entail having to schlep everything home on the T or by cab. There are no other supermarkets, let alone specialty grocers, anyplace closer than Porter Square.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM

120 posts, read 383,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhan View Post
I've lived in Boston for 1 year. I'm thinking about moving to a Archstone apartment at 30 Cambridge park drive. It's near by Alewife T station.
They couldn't be closer to the station.
Quote:
The only reason I am hesitating to make a decision is a safty issue.
I found some comments warning unsafety around Alewife T station on the web.
You can find comments on the web about anything.
Quote:
Even some people recommended taking some weapon like mace. (It's uncomfortable to me by itself..)
If you decide to carry a weapon on your person, I suggest you know to use it and understand the legal ramifications that come with it. I'm not suggesting you don't carry one, whatever your weapon of choice might be, but that you get educated on the legal side of things, and know how to operate/handle it.
Quote:
I think usually I'll take off T at Alewife statoin around 9PM, and sometimes 10PM.

Is area around Alewife T station unsafe for walking alone at night?
Not really.
Quote:
What about Fresh pond shopping center? Because I really like to watch movies, I may go to the movie theater in Fresh pond shopping center at night frequently. I'll go there and back home by walk alone. Is walking around Fresh pond area at night unsafe, too?
If you really like watching movies, you won't be spending much time at that theatre.
Quote:
FYI, I'm a man in early 30's, not so big, but not so small.
This is important why? If someone REALLY wants to mug you, your sex, age, and size won't be what stops them.
Quote:
Thank you in advance!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
As for crossing the big commuter-rail overpass on Alewife Brook Parkway to patronize the strip malls and cineplex, only do that by daylight.......I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of the stores with a car I could stash my purchases in and drive away, but someone carrying shopping bags and walking under the parkway to get to the other side makes for a tempting target.
If you're living on Cambridgepark Dr, there is no need to walk around the station and walk under the parkway to get groceries.

Everything else goyguy said is pretty dead on. East Arlington is a fabulous area and the Minuteman Bike Trail is alot of fun. And if you play soccer, you can pick up a game pretty easy on Saturdays, or weekday evenings at the park off the trail near the apartments you mentioned. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
Ditto what they said about that theater. I just went there for the first time and it's a pretty awful theater. I won't be back. I'm pretty sure the screen was not much bigger than 60"

In regards to grocery shopping, I'm PRETTY sure there's a Trader Joe's across the street from the Whole Foods.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Trader Joe's = The grocery store with groceries you don't need. LOL
Point of info, there are no crosswalks along the parkway except right at Alewife Station. In order to avoid having to cross Rindge Ave, a notorious corner for having its "sedda lites" there as a suggestion rather than something to be obeyed, one does have to keep to the west side of the parkway. That in turn means having to either scramble up/down the embankment just beyond the commuter-rail overpass or proceeding with caution along the side road and then beneath the street.
Nowadays you can check out the famous red-tailed hawk nest at 185 Alewife Brook Parkway! Who's to say why Mr & Ms Hawk decided to make their home and raise three children on a fourth-floor ledge facing a busy street when two large parks with plenty o' tall trees are close by. They did, and with the number of photographers and birdwatchers keeping tabs on them at seemingly all times they could've hardly picked a safer place.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,955 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's = The grocery store with groceries you don't need. LOL
Point of info, there are no crosswalks along the parkway except right at Alewife Station. In order to avoid having to cross Rindge Ave, a notorious corner for having its "sedda lites" there as a suggestion rather than something to be obeyed, one does have to keep to the west side of the parkway. That in turn means having to either scramble up/down the embankment just beyond the commuter-rail overpass or proceeding with caution along the side road and then beneath the street.
Nowadays you can check out the famous red-tailed hawk nest at 185 Alewife Brook Parkway! Who's to say why Mr & Ms Hawk decided to make their home and raise three children on a fourth-floor ledge facing a busy street when two large parks with plenty o' tall trees are close by. They did, and with the number of photographers and birdwatchers keeping tabs on them at seemingly all times they could've hardly picked a safer place.
So that's why there are people out there with binoculars! I noticed it the last two times I went to the Trader Joe's.
As for Trader Joe's, it can be a great option if you're buying boxed items, but I've found their produce to be terrible.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
So that's why there are people out there with binoculars! I noticed it the last two times I went to the Trader Joe's.
As for Trader Joe's, it can be a great option if you're buying boxed items, but I've found their produce to be terrible.
Lol. If you look up in the direction all those people are facing you'll see the birds. You can see them very easily without binoculars.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Wow, lets get specific. Rindge basically runs east and west, and Alewife Brook Parkway at that intersection runs north and south. If you're standing on the southeast corner of Rindge and Alewife Brook Parkway, you're at a crosswalk. And if you're living in the Archstone complex, you're literally a few hundred feet from that intersection:
http://www.junkiedream.com/rindge.jpg (broken link)

Suggesting to walk around and 'beneath the street' or to imply that one has to cross Rindge to get to the strip mall is simply wrong information. There is no need to cross Rindge to get to the "Fresh Pond Shopping Center" if you're living at the Archstone complex. And if you feel the need to walk on the west side of the bridge you can cross Alewife Brook Parkway at Terminal Rd, which is the opposite side of the bridge.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2denver View Post
Lol. If you look up in the direction all those people are facing you'll see the birds. You can see them very easily without binoculars.
Hey, I'm busy shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston