U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,064 times

Advertisements

Just was looking for another job and I found one job which fits my profile but it is for city of Boston and clearly says that one has to be Boston resident on the first day of Job? is that true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 AM

7,330 posts, read 11,654,332 times
I think as long as you live in the Boston metro in general, you should be ok. Don't forget there are plenty of people in Boston that work there but live in nearby states.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM

3,506 posts, read 6,698,737 times
allenk is incorrect; most City of Boston municipal jobs require Boston residency.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
allenk is incorrect; most City of Boston municipal jobs require Boston residency.
Sorry. I did say Boston metro though.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,552,815 times
But your point is still incorrect. If the job requires Boston residency (as many city jobs do), you must live within the city limits. It's pretty cut-and-dried.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
But your point is still incorrect. If the job requires Boston residency (as many city jobs do), you must live within the city limits. It's pretty cut-and-dried.
How is that so? I was under the impression most people who live on the metro area of town, live there because of prices of the city proper. Thus working in city proper and commute back to the metro?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 6,552,815 times
The OP is talking about a job for the City of Boston. Not just a job *in* Boston within the private sector. Certain jobs in the public sector require the emplyee to live within the city limits.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,976,611 times
you live in the city as south Boston, Roslindale, West Roxbury etc all are part of the city Boston.
That does mean you can't live in Norwood etc to have the job.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,064 times
went for interview today and things r looking good. they told me i have to be boston resident. which checking 1 br starts with 1000 which is expensive. and I looking for something in charlestown or back bay area, downtown or north end area.

also was searching and found that some employees r eligible for affordable housing... Called but wait time is 2 to 3 years for renting.. lol

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,136,447 times
Glad to hear the job looks promising. Is it located downtown? I ask this because of your concern about the cost of housing. Areas right in the center of the city generally have higher rents than outlying sections, so if the job is downtown, the location of the job and the level of importance you might place on having a short commute may need to be balanced against finding affordable housing within the city limits. You said Back Bay was one section where you were looking tentatively for housing, assuming the job comes through. Back Bay has some of the highest housing costs in Boston. Charlestown may be less expensive in general than Back Bay, but rents will still be on the high side that close to downtown. Downtown itself and the North End will also have expensive housing, because of the tendency for the highest rents right to be found in the center of the city.

If keeping housing costs down is especially important, you may want to look at some of the areas within the city limits farther out from downtown, like West Roxbury, Dorchester, Roxbury, Roslindale, or Brighton, to name a few. In Brighton just make sure to look in neighborhoods west of Market St., so you avoid the noisy undergraduate student population.

You might also want to look for a roommate to share expenses. Even quite a few fully employed adults go the roommate route in Boston.

Last edited by ogre; 06-28-2010 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: