Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 AM

35 posts, read 160,570 times

Advertisements

@ Folks
I came to know that area in Fenway is more prone to mugging and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

I am trying to search craiglist but I am unable to find the deals.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Regarding your safety concerns, you need to be realistic about the fact that no location is guaranteed to be safe all the time, and any neighborhood in a big city will have enough crime that it's prudent to exercise some basic precautions. For years there have been rumors of muggings in the park along the Fenway. One of the basic precautions it's prudent to take in an urban setting is to avoid wandering through isolated areas, such as parks, especially at night. In general, the Fenway area seems to be reasonably safe as city neighborhoods go.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM

39 posts, read 163,978 times
I go to Northeastern. The area is fairly safe. The only area that is sketchy is the area past the Orange Line (through Ruggles). However, since they built the new dorm on the other side of the line, that's gotten a little safer. Still, live anywhere north of campus, stay away from the Fens at night, and you'll be all set.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 AM

@ Ogre

Thnx for your reply
I knw that I have to be realistic but as I am stepping to the whole new world so I am a lil concerned.I have heard that BOSTON is the best place to live in America(plus the living expenses are high).Most of my friends have told me that you will have a good experience living in this city.I might also ping for the places of visit in boston...:P:P

@ NG1284

Thnx for the info I would be talking offcampus housing with some of my friends.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 9,964 times
Northeastern law student here. I moved to the Fenway area from Back Bay because I needed more space and wanted to be a bit closer to school. I didn't know much about the neighborhood prior to starting law school, but now that I'm in my second year here, I love it. I live in East Fens (the boundaries are roughly Huntington ave, the Fenway, Massachusetts avenue and Boylston). I am a woman and I've never felt unsafe here.

I take precautions, as I would in any city neighborhood--I don't cut through the park at night, and I don't walk down isolated streets by myself at night (certain parts of West Fens, on the other side of the park close to Fenway Park, and south of Ruggles T stop in Roxbury can feel isolated at times. The woman who lives in the apt next door to me moved here from the South End at the end of September after witnessing a shooting in the South End. Although it might not have the hip vibe that the south end has, drug-related crime on the streets is less of a problem.

I love that I can get to all of my favorite Back Bay haunts in minutes. Newbury street is less than a 10 minute walk away. My favorite restaurant, India Quality in Kenmore square (excellent chai!) is just over five minutes, I can walk to the south end restaurants in 15 minutes. In the summer, there are lots of people in the Fens playing frisbee, tanning (ugh :-)), playing basketball, and going for walks. The Museum of Fine Arts has a great outdoor courtyard. On nice days, I often grab a drink from the cafeteria and get a table in the courtyard.

If you're going to be driving, there is ample street parking for residents (I never have a problem getting a spot) and parking meters for guests (4 hour meters, a rarity in Boston!). My boyfriend is at Boston College law school in Newton and I can hop on the pike and be at his place in under 15 minutes. You can also get to Cambridge easily by taking the #1 bus from Mass ave. Harvard square is definitely worth checking out.

Anyway, back to your original question. I'd try to find something on Westland, Gainsborough, the Fenway, or Symphony Rd would be your best bets. It's really building-by-building so you can't always use streets as your primary guide. If you have to do your search from abroad and aren't able to connect with a local rental agent, Church Park is an apartment building by the Whole Foods Market. Or you can try the Parkside, an apartment building at the corner of Westland and Hemenway, although they may not have anything at this point. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,811 times
Friend of mine went to Northeastern, so I spent quite a bit of time in the area.

There aren't too many problems with the area in Back Bay and down Huntington. Just stay on the north/west side of the Orange Line tracks, avoid the Fens solo at night. I have been hit up a handful of times by bums - particularly in front of every 7-11/Tedeschi's or in fast food places on Mass. Ave. But at least you give them a couple of small coins and they leave you alone, vs. legit muggers where they pull out a knife and demand everything you got. Never seen the legit muggers, there's not a big problem with that. Just be street smart and you should be alright.

For point of reference, my friend lived on Beacon Hill near the State House. It was a five minute walk to Park St. station, then 15 minutes down the Green Line to Northeastern. But he was paying four figures a month for an apartment the size of a prison cell.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 AM

Thnx for your reply

@southernsoule

Can you help me searching the apartment?

Plus I came to know about Back Bay Manor at longwood.Its in St. Alphonsus Street. and 189 St Butolph St.

Can you give me more info about these areas?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Is 84 Fenway a safe area?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM

226 posts, read 588,381 times
I live a few building down from this on the Fenway. Across the street from the building you are interested in is the "Fens"--a marshy parkland area that is poorly lit. At night, people go into the marshy areas (where tall reeds grow) in engage in a number of seedy activities--drugs, sex...you get the idea. People walking along the Fens have been mugged and worse. A year ago I heard that a woman was raped.

Now the solution to this is easy: stay out of the Fens after dark. If you stay on your side of the street you are surrounded by students, lots of activities, lots of campus police, well-lit places to hang out and talk...really it is very normal. Personally, I think the location cannot be beat--museums, concerts, film, restaurants, good groceries, easy walking distance to up-scale shopping in Back Bay and Prudential Center. In short The Fenway is a safe street--the Fens is a place to stay out of at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston