Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 969,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
There are two types of people here on this thread-- the pro-urban (of ehich I am one) and the sky is falling suburbanites.
I for one didn't say I was anti-urban, and I've also pointedly criticized "sky is falling suburbanites" on this thread. Sorry, but things aren't as polarized here as you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So? You think because a place has a mugging or a shooting every so often it isn't safe?

That's nuts. Under that criteria no place is safe.
I'll ask again: Do you know what the per capita rate is? Or what constitutes high or low rate generally? It would be very easy, for example, to set the bar so high that nothing qualifies as a high rate.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I'll ask again: Do you know what the per capita rate is? Or what constitutes high or low rate generally? It would be very easy, for example, to set the bar so high that nothing qualifies as a high rate.

Per capita rate for where? High and low are relative. Boston is pretty low (New Orleans, Detroit, etc are 5x times the rate of murder/homicide per capita, for example). Cambridge is really low. The FBI publishes the stats. They're free for looking up. There are other tools for looking at neighborhoods within communities. Google is your friend. Go ahead and look.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Per capita rate for where? High and low are relative. Boston is pretty low (New Orleans, Detroit, etc are 5x times the rate of murder/homicide per capita, for example). Cambridge is really low. The FBI publishes the stats. They're free for looking up. There are other tools for looking at neighborhoods within communities. Google is your friend. Go ahead and look.
I'm asking because you're the person making the claim that it's "super safe." I brought up the raw data for one month (not for murders/homicides, but for shootings/robberies) in that particular area and expressed concern about it, but you seemingly think this is meaningless. Who knows? Maybe three shootings/stabbings and two muggings in an area in a month are indeed utterly nothing, but it would be good to know how and why.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I'm asking because you're the person making the claim that it's "super safe." I brought up the raw data for one month (not for murders/homicides, but for shootings/robberies) in that particular area and expressed concern about it, but you seemingly think this is meaningless. Who knows? Maybe three shootings/stabbings and two muggings in an area in a month are indeed utterly nothing, but it would be good to know how and why.

How and why are easy to figure out. Were they random or targeted. Completely different things.

The number or people passing through / living in these areas compared to the paucity of real crime on strangers.

Compare to other urban areas.

Simple enough.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,300,293 times
'And we're back to attacking neighborhoods that were traditionally associated with minority groups . . . which is where these threads about "bad neighborhoods" always seem to end up. Fort Hill is statistically safer than Kendell Square in terms of violent crime. Why would you make the blanket statement that you feel safer in Kendall than Roxbury?'

When will the liberal people of america realize that YES it's typically urban neighborhoods that are made up of mostly minorities that are causing/creating crime? This is not racist, these are facts. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,300,293 times
2015 murders in Boston | Universal Hub

Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'And we're back to attacking neighborhoods that were traditionally associated with minority groups . . . which is where these threads about "bad neighborhoods" always seem to end up. Fort Hill is statistically safer than Kendell Square in terms of violent crime. Why would you make the blanket statement that you feel safer in Kendall than Roxbury?'

When will the liberal people of america realize that YES it's typically urban neighborhoods that are made up of mostly minorities that are causing/creating crime? This is not racist, these are facts. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?
They'll always point out the nice parts and sweep everything unsavory under the rug. True, Fort Hill is a very nice neighborhood that in fact is safer than Kendall, but there are plenty of other parts of Roxbury that are unsafe, crime-infested ****holes.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
They'll always point out the nice parts and sweep everything unsavory under the rug.

Hardly, but most intelligent people know it isn't skin color that is the cause of the crime, or responsible for the crime. It is socio economic condition. Most people also know that crime stats don't really reflect crime, because their is a differential in enforcement levels, and types of crime pursued, that is often based on skin color, and then also on socio economic status, that greatly skews statistics.

That is why people hate when people harp on skin color or blame people of a certain skin color.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-01-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM

2,307 posts, read 1,794,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
There are two types of people here on this thread-- the pro-urban (of ehich I am one) and the sky is falling suburbanites.

I've never heard us urban people claim there is NO risk and NO crime. We just don't buy into the hysteria.
Why does every poster have to fit into these buckets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston