U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,336 times

Advertisements

Hello! Can someone help me with this question? I am looking at condos in N. Dorchester off Columbia Rd. It is actually on Elsner and Cawfield. I have google scanned the neighborhood and I can't get a read on the gentrification situation. Columbia Rd. looks ok and I hear that Upham's Corner, ( about 4 blocks South) is up and coming. Some of the homes in this area have been gutted in 2005 thru 2007 and are nice and affordable. I just wonder how safe the neighborhood is and the vibe of that neighborhood feel.
Thank you,
jb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,675,302 times
Try the other side of the square. Boston street or over to Dorchester Ave. The area you are looking at is not recommendable. From my experience, whenever you see triple deckers lined up and none of the triple deckers have any aesthetic value, it indicates an area that will not gentrify easily. I have also driven through that area and it looks nasty.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Thank you for that insight. This is a triple decker that was gutted in 2005 and redone pretty high end with central air., 2 bd 2 bath. It is a short sale for 130K with an assessed value of 186K. There is a tenant there until Dec. 2010 at $1550 per month. With 30K down and with annual property taxes at $2,200 and condo fees at $150 per month my total cost would be under $1000 per month and I would plan on moving there in about 3 years. The neighborhood however, looks pretty shabby.
Thank you for your insight. I am in Denver and it may make the difference of my flying to Boston to look at it and put an offer on it.
JB

Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 4,940,935 times
You should take a look at the Baker Chocolate Factory and Lower Mills Condominiums in the Lower Mills section of Dorchester (the southernmost part of Dorchester bordering Milton). It is a much safer and much more pleasant not to mention aesthetic looking part of Dorchester if you are looking for a condo.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 PM

6,026 posts, read 14,781,950 times
Uphams Corner, up and coming? since when?

AFAIK, given what family who used to live in that area have told me, the area is getting worse w/ crime, not better. maybe the area could turn around if/when the Fairmount commuter rail line gets fixed up, along w/ the Uphams Corner stop and it became a better option of commute, but it would take a lot more than that, IMHO, to gentrify that area. I think you'd have better luck in the Ashmont/Ashmont Hill area, along w/ the areas previously mentioned

Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,675,302 times
Yeah, keep looking around john, keep us updated and we can give good insight into the city. I live in the aforementioned Ashmont area and it is a far better area than the one you were looking at.
I also neglected to mention that one of my current neighbors in Ashmont lived in that area and they lost a lot of money when the neighborhood went bad. Their car was broken into almost nightly.

As I said before though, if you were to look into the neighborhood on the other side of Columbia Rd you would feel like you were in a different world and it is only 500 yards away. Your car may still get broken into (this happens everywhere though) but it is much safer and more attractive.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 PM

29 posts, read 80,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbwright View Post
Hello! Can someone help me with this question? I am looking at condos in N. Dorchester off Columbia Rd. It is actually on Elsner and Cawfield. I have google scanned the neighborhood and I can't get a read on the gentrification situation. Columbia Rd. looks ok and I hear that Upham's Corner, ( about 4 blocks South) is up and coming. Some of the homes in this area have been gutted in 2005 thru 2007 and are nice and affordable. I just wonder how safe the neighborhood is and the vibe of that neighborhood feel.
Thank you,
jb
Hi JB,

What you are doing is the right way to approach Dorchester. The neighborhood is so big that it is impossible to generalize about any of the 5 neighborhhods within Dorchester. My advice is to hang out there in the area you are considering to see how it is at different times of the day and night.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-27-2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: realtor advertising

Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 35,588 times
Default Help in Dorchester

John, It will be a long time before Uphams Corner will come around. It looks good in the daylight but at night may be a different story. I have worked in the Codman Square area for the last 25 yrs. and it has changed very little, until now. The Peabody Sq area, at the foot of Ashmont Hill is starting to gentrify, evident by the arrival of small resturants and college students looking for low rent. Which was a precursor to the radical change in my hometown of Jamica Plain. You are much better looking in south Dorchester. Ashmont Hill is a lovely area for old Victorian homes with a large contingent of the gay community that have done an excellant job of maintaining these magnificent homes. Lower Mills is an excellant area, the Baker Chocolate Factory (first in America) have just changed hands and is now owned by Beacon Development. Very nice, but not sure of prices for condo's. The Lofts at Lower Mills, part of the same development but owned by a different company. They are on a rental basis for the first 5 years before converting to condos. A one bedroom will run you 1900 a month. Pretty pricey, and not surprisingly, there is a high turover rate this first year of occupancy.
As in a lot of sections of Dorchester, there is difference in night and day. During the day, you are not likely to be bothered, but at night, when the younger element is out....you just never know. And, if you leave anything of value out in the open in your vechile, it WILL get broken into. If for any reason, just to teach you a lesson!! They may be trying to change N. Dorchester but it will be a long time in coming.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Thank you all so much for your insight and advice. I have had a Dorchester community / real estate intervention! I think I will be looking in the Dorchester Avenue / Boston St. & S. Dorchester Ashmont Hill areas.
JB

Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Can anyone suggest a good experienced realtor who knows the Boston Street over to Dorchester Ave, (a little above 93)and the Peabody Square / Ashmont Hill areas? I really want t o get moving on this although my pricepoint being 150K is probably disuading some of the realtors I have approached.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
JB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston