Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM

50 posts, read 199,456 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating back to Boston/Cambridge/Somerviile because we miss it, and because we miss our careers, which flourished there. (We took some time away to help out with the family business down south, but we want to go back.)

Say one wanted to live off Rindge Ave. (around 300 Rindge) and wanted to take the T most places. I know that traffic around Alewife is tough, but is it possible to walk to that station without getting flattened or waiting 20 minutes for traffic to stop?

Also, how's the walk at night? Is everything pretty well-lit?

I had a condo on Elm in Somerville for awhile. The walk from the Porter T wasn't bad--about 10 minutes, and with decent lighting.

I only ask because my night vision isn't the greatest.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 AM

29 posts, read 83,283 times
I can't figure out why you would want to be near Alewife. The whole area got hit with the "Ugly Stick", there is no nice place to walk. There are side walks and lighting but you will be in a maze of cars, cars, trucks and more cars. Its not pleasant to walk around there. There are very few trees, no charm and nothing to look at but, you guessed it...cars and trucks.
What about all the nice tree lined quiet neighborhoods in Someville and Cambridge? Why on earth would you subject your short life to that wasteland?
Hope this helps

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-16-2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: no titles or manual signatures - it is considered advertising

Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM

LOL! I know, I know. I remember Alewife, and I remember how pretty it isn't.

To be fair, the area I'm looking at appears to have a lake and a park pretty nearby.

Here's the deal: I can't drive because of a pesky vision problem I was born with. I need to live near the T, and I'm looking around Rindge Ave. near Alewife at the moment just as a preliminary search. Neither my husband and I have jobs lined up yet (and we won't move unless we do), but there's a good chance he might get one in the burbs near Alewife. So, the drive should be ok for him, whereas I can easily take the T wherever I need to go.

I was looking at the Brickworks online, and there appears to be a nice bit of bang for your buck. I had a place in Porter Square, 23 years old, that I sold for more than these Brickworks places are listed.

I have a little dachshund, so I would need an area to walk around. (I wonder if the lakes and parks in the Brickworks area are ok?)

Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
I don't know the area too well, but one of my friends lives in the Archstone apartments right across the street from the Alewife T so I have a little insight. It's not exactly the place to be if you're looking for walkability in your own neighborhood. I've taken the T there and crossed the street without issue. Rush hours may be a little tougher. You just have to pay attention since it's a high traffic area. You can quickly get to Davis Sq. et al. However, while walking to the T shouldn't be a major issue for most, it may be too much traffic for you depending on the severity of your eye condition.

The area borders some not so nice neighborhoods. I've heard it's fine in the daytime, but not the best idea to go wandering off the beaten path at night. Not sure about the Brickworks specifically.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Shiver!

I've been ok with traffic, provided that the lighting is ok. I used to teach at BU, and so I'm used to lots of cars and weird intersections. But the potential for crime around Alewife does concern me.

Let's say the husband gets a job around Waltham and we still want to live within walking distance of the T trains. What areas do you guys recommend so that his drive isn't too rough? When we first got married, he commuted from Porter Square to Concord, and the drive wasn't the greatest in places (coincidentally, around Alewife).

Last edited by puzzlingconcept; 08-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: adding more detail

Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
Well, what's your budget and what's your definition of "too rough" of a commute? I live in Coolidge Corner in Brookline and last week had a 9AM meeting in Waltham (near the District Courthouse on Linden St.) and it took me about 25 min cutting through Brighton and Watertown. Pretty easy drive without too much traffic. Coolidge Corner and the rest of Brookline near the T is great for walkability, but not so much bang for your buck. And, of course, there's that pesky no overnight street parking issue.

Maybe in Newton too (Newton Centre area - Green Line T and lots of walkability - pricey area though).

Even back in your old 'hood of Davis or Porter? I just don't know what the drive to Waltham is like.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM

120 posts, read 383,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPersons View Post
I can't figure out why you would want to be near Alewife. The whole area got hit with the "Ugly Stick", there is no nice place to walk. There are side walks and lighting but you will be in a maze of cars, cars, trucks and more cars. Its not pleasant to walk around there. There are very few trees, no charm and nothing to look at but, you guessed it...cars and trucks.
What about all the nice tree lined quiet neighborhoods in Someville and Cambridge? Why on earth would you subject your short life to that wasteland?
Hope this helps
This guy is obviously speaking of the area you asked about around 300 Rindge, which is East/Southeast of Alewife. However there is another side to that station, and that's North of Alewife. Take a 2 minute walk, North of Alewife, and tell me that there is "no nice place to walk" and tell me about the "maze of cars", "the very few trees", and the "no charm".

Take a walk, see for yourself. East Arlington is beautiful and puts you in a place that's just as convenient as the 300 Rindge area.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Shiver:
We'll likely rent at first because we need to sell off another house (and my husband still owns a condo, which he rents out). But following that, we're thinking about $350-400k? I'm not sure just yet, and I know it depends on the market. I'm really amazed to see how much prices have dropped since the economy tanked, even if they're still way higher than what you'll find in a lot of the rest of the country, particularly below the Mason-Dixon. Thanks for your input!

B2D:
Useful info! I hadn't looked into Arlington yet. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 26,262 times
There's a lovely park (Danehy) with a double-fenced dog park right near the Brickworks. You can definitely walk the cross walks to Alewife from there and can also take the beautiful path to Davis Sq. (about a mile from Alewife, and a nice place for dog walking). There's a new apartment complex opening soon in the area too. I live about a mile from Alewife and I do love the area--sure it's not the prettiest and traffic can be a beast at times, but it's really really convenient. There's a Petsmart in walking distance if you need to board the dog and there are grocery stores, a (slightly rundown) movie theater, some restaurants/fast food, and other stores right nearby too. It's super convenient to Rte 2 and Waltham would be a breeze commute--right up rte 2.

Go check out the area for yourself. Sure, it's not the prettiest place in the Boston area, but it's convenient, affordable, and actually quite nice for dog owners!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
The thing with East Arlington is that you have to be sure you're comfortable walking the bike path (lighting and safety). Check it out first. But it's a nice, safe, quiet area with very affordable rentals and a growing restaurant scene. The Capitol and Regent theatres are cool too. And it's right next to Cambridge and Somerville when you want more.

But if you don't like the bike path the only options to Alewife are driving and paying for parking, or the 79 bus, which takes a long time (between waiting and riding) to cover a short distance.

Personally I'd rather walk to E Arlington than to Rindge-you also don't have to cross the parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston