U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM

874 posts, read 1,599,894 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Boston, but have found that my job prospects might not give me as much money as I would like. Are any of you living on salaries below $25,000 per year and if so where are you living and how do you keep food on the table and the bills paid?

Thanks for any input and suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 AM

2,645 posts, read 4,574,883 times
That's why so many people in their 20s, 30s and even 40 plus need roommates...or two jobs! At least you don't need a car payment and expenses as in Dallas or Phoenix (look at it that way).

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Oh, I understand needing roomates and two jobs. I guess I just wanted to hear personal stories as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 15,217 times
I'm a grad student living on about that much. Granted, my mom still picks up some things (health insurance, flights back to Texas, major purchases like furniture) but I can get by through having at least 2 roommates (last year I had 3), living in some kind of run down apartments (even by Boston standards), and curbing how much I go out to eat/drink.

It's do-able, but you're definitely not going to be living the "Boston life" everyone thinks of. No going out to the North End every weekend, no shopping in Back Bay and the Pru, no cute brownstone apartment on a sleepy cobblestone street! It was a big adjustment for me because the cost of living in Texas is HALF what it is in Boston!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM

385 posts, read 1,392,941 times
I don't anymore, but I did. In fact, I was making around $15-16K a year from 2004-2006. I lived in Brighton with a couple roommates, pretty much only drank water in restaurants, was able to stay on top of my bills but didn't save anything, etc. I did go to movies and things like that but NEVER went shopping unless I was seriously desperate. Even then, I usually waited until a relative was in town who could buy me clothes. Also, at the time my mother and stepfather paid about 2/3 of my student loan bills for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 AM

3,508 posts, read 6,703,877 times
The days of sharing apartments, etc. are well behind me now, but if you can keep your housing expense to $600 or less per month, I think you could probably "survive" on $25K in the Boston area.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks guys! I'm starting to have some hope.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM

8,342 posts, read 24,245,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I'm looking to move to Boston, but have found that my job prospects might not give me as much money as I would like. Are any of you living on salaries below $25,000 per year and if so where are you living and how do you keep food on the table and the bills paid?

Thanks for any input and suggestions!
According to cost of living calculators, $25,000 a year is the equilvelant to just shy of $20,000 in Minneapolis. I averaged around $20,000 a year in Minneapolis and I lived just fine. I went to a bar, movies, bowling, bought 6 packs of microbrew, went out to eat once or twice a day, etc. etc. on a regular basis. Yes, I had roommates the entire time, but the reality is how you stretch your money is completely determined by the type of life that you live, not how someone else lives their life. People will say that there is no way that you can do it, but where is their perspective coming from? Is the life that they live, or are attempting to live, the same as yours? Or are they coming from a different place?

Look, cost of living calculations are biased. They assume that everyone is the same, typical, American. They assume that you are living an average middle class lifestyle in a middle class neighborhood. They assume that you are living alone, or in some cases, with a wife or husband. They assume that you have all the typical expenses such as car payment, insurance, gas, Internet, cable, HBO, heat, and so on.

If you don't own a car, your COL just went down. If you share an apartment with roommates, it just went even lower. Heat/hot water included in rent, even lower. Ride a bike, walk, instead of using the T...you can see where I am going with this.

But, I really couldn't tell you. I just moved here and my current salary is $0. So far, I am living just fine, though. I'll have to let you know in a year from now how it all worked out...if I don't pull a midnight express soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKatintheHat View Post

It's do-able, but you're definitely not going to be living the "Boston life" everyone thinks of. No going out to the North End every weekend, no shopping in Back Bay and the Pru, no cute brownstone apartment on a sleepy cobblestone street! It was a big adjustment for me because the cost of living in Texas is HALF what it is in Boston!
Funny, this is not the 'Boston life' that I think of. Aside from the brownstone, I have no desire for the rest.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM

I would love to go shopping at Back Bay and the Pru, but I know that's not realistic.

K-Luv, how are you getting by with no salary?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM

8,342 posts, read 24,245,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post

K-Luv, how are you getting by with no salary?
I knew I was moving to Boston for almost a year, so I saved my pennies and sold everything that I absolutely did not need. I moved here with enough money to live on for 3 months comfortably, or 4-5 months with a strict budget. I am looking for a job, though, and am beginning to question the job market here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston