Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 14,529 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I will be moving from Europe to Boston soon, and I am trying to figure out where to live in Boston, possibly centrally located, close to the Metro (Red line?) as I'd have to commute to Quincy.
Which area would you suggest for a single woman (mid 30). I'm looking for a nice, safe and lively area.
The commute shouldn't take longer than 30-45min..Oh, and, it shouldn't cost a fortune of course.
I wonder, can all these things be combined??

thx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,848,103 times
Part of this depends on your budget for housing. You say you don't want to spend a "fortune," but that is a subjective term. Some numbers for your housing budget would help people have a better idea which neighborhoods would be in the right price range.

Some of this also depends on how lively you want things to be when you say you want a lively area. Also keep in mind that you are not going to find a really, really safe area that is also very lively like right in the city lively within the commuting time you prefer. In Cambridge near the red line, there are neigborhoods within this commuting time which are reasonably lively and urban, and are safe by the standards of a city, but still not safe like you'd find way out in a small country town.

It will be a longer commute than the commute from most of Cambridge, but areas in Somerville along the red line are active neighborhoods with good numbers of young professionals.

If you don't need to have things really lively right outside your door, but just need some decent basic shopping and dining nearby, you might consider living right in Quincy.

It's possible that the Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner neighborhoods in Brookline would be worth a look. There is some variety of local neighborhood shopping in these areas, and you're only a few stops on the T (our local nickname for the "metro") from the nightlife right in the main part of Boston. From Brookline you would have to make one change of trains to ride to Quincy, but the total time would likely be within the limits of your preferred commuting time, even if just barely. Something to keep in mind in Brookline is that parking is not allowed on the street overnight, so if you plan to have a car, if looking for housing in Brookline you'd need to figure in the additional cost of renting a parking space or covering the rent in a place with on-site parking, which is likely to be higher than the rent in a place without parking.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM

613 posts, read 2,298,961 times
I used to do the opposite commute - from Quincy (Quincy Center on the red line) to Hynes (on the green) and door to door it was about an hour so transferring will add a few minutes.

If ease and speed of commute is most important, I would probably live somewhere along the red line. I have a 30 something friend who lives in Porter Sq. in Cambridge and used to commute to the North Quincy T and it took him about 40 min. He loves Porter Sq. and I think it may be an area for you to explore.

However, if you're looking for an easy commute and less expensive, look at Quincy. Several stops on the red line and Quincy Center area has restaurants, shops and nightlife. It's not as lively as Boston/Cambridge and, IMO, the nightlife tends toward either younger or townie.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 30,285 times
I've commuted from Central Square in Cambridge to Quincy in the past and its not a bad commute, maybe 40 minutes door to door. It isn't a cheap area though. I was looking at one bedroom apartments recently and anything decent is usually $1400+. Central and Harvard are definitely great neighborhoods though and are both on the red line.

Your next best bet would probably be Quincy as it would be cheaper and easier. There isn't as much going on but there is stuff to do. I would choose it over South Boston, also on the red line.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,529 times
Thanks for your suggestions.
Well, I was thinking about a max. rent of $1200. It doesn't have to be that lively. As I don't plan to get a car - at least at the beginning - I just want to make sure that I live in a place where I can go out for dinner, to the movies, and so on, close by.
If I live in Quincy, and I go out in downtown, I don't see myself taking the T alone, late at night, or having to take a cab each time.

I looked up Quincy on the internet, and my first impression was: it looks SO calm! I might be wrong though.. But isn't it more a place for families?

Do you know where I can find a map of Boston including the red line? I'd like to see all the places that are located along that line.
That would be great! In the meantime I will check out the areas that you suggested.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:05 PM

385 posts, read 1,449,767 times
Well, Quincy's definitely cheaper in Cambridge, and you'll find a lot more in your price range, I think. Especially for a one-bedroom rather than a studio. I don't think I'd describe it as "calm", exactly--it's a fairly big city, about the same size as Cambridge population-wise, although more suburban in a lot of spots. It has more of a blue-collar character, and a growing population of Chinese immigrants. Like shiver said, there are some restaurants/nightlife, but not at the level you'll find in Cambridge or some sections of Boston.

Here's a subway map: MBTA Subway 'The 'T' > Maps, Schedules, and Fare Information for the Boston Area Subway System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston