Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times

Advertisements

Im working a job right now thats going to end in a few weeks. I live outside of NYC, in CT at home. Im a recent graduate and am debating whether i should just try and look for jobs in NY or try and move up possibly with a friend in boston and find something. I cant really decide which to do. My degree is in econ and i work as an HR analyst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
Why do you want to move from NYC to Boston? What is your reasoning?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Why do you want to move from NYC to Boston? What is your reasoning?

i dont work in NYC, but outside of it (right outside white plains). I'm kinda bored in the area im in and the city near me is too small only about 100k. Im looking for a better night life scene with more people that are close to my age early to mid 20's. Obviously NYC is close but its probably too expensive to leave there at this point in my life. I dont know if i'd be moving up to boston for the wrong reasons but I wanted to try something different and I feel like the friends that I have up in Boston, I have a better relationship with or feel that i'am closer with them. maybe it would be better to get a sublet or live with a friend for a month or something and see how it is to get an idea of Boston rather than immediately getting a lease. Obviously if you ask which city is better or do you prefer people from boston and NYC are going to tell you different things. Obviously i know NYC has a lot more to offer but. I also have a friend thats around where I live that is interested in getting an apartment, but it would be around CT and I'm not sure if i'd still feel bored living with him plus he has a girlfriend.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

I think if you have some friends there and don't care about not living in NYC than Boston is fine. However, if expense is more of an issue for you, but you'd rather be in NYC, see if you can cut corners. I would think you would be able to find something entry level in NYC with your degree.

FYI, I'm trying to decide between Boston and NYC as well.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I think if you have some friends there and don't care about not living in NYC than Boston is fine. However, if expense is more of an issue for you, but you'd rather be in NYC, see if you can cut corners. I would think you would be able to find something entry level in NYC with your degree.

FYI, I'm trying to decide between Boston and NYC as well.
yeah its hard, where are you from?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM

I'm actually from upstate NY. I've been spending today (my birthday) going to Boston to see my bf. However, there aren't a lot of opportunities for art history majors even in Boston, so that's part of the reason why I was thinking about NYC. I've visited a few times and loved it there (NYC), but I know actually living there is very different.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I'm actually from upstate NY. I've been spending today (my birthday) going to Boston to see my bf. However, there aren't a lot of opportunities for art history majors even in Boston, so that's part of the reason why I was thinking about NYC. I've visited a few times and loved it there (NYC), but I know actually living there is very different.

yeah but NYC is a huge city with a lot of different neighborhoods and boroughs so if u dont like the craziness of Manhattan, Brooklyn would probably be a better bet for u especially if ur semi artsy. NYC is an amazing city and I would definently love to end up there at some point. Im just not sure right now if on the way to getting there I want to try to go up to boston for a little bit

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM

I don't mind what little of the craziness I've experienced there, but obviously affordability would be a factor. I've thought of Williamsburg. Hopefully both of us figure it out soon!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM

I find it interesting though as you said u have a boyfriend in boston, that boston wouldnt be more of your goal since he's there?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM

It is, but it's been 3 years and we're not living together because I don't drive. However, that's a long story that I don't want to get into. Right now we're already 3 hours apart so if I change it to New York, at least I can take the Bolt Bus.

I haven't applied to anywhere in NYC, but I've been on interviews in Boston, so Boston is still the one I've put more work into, but I didn't start to really consider NYC until recently when I realized that the relationship might not ever get to the level of seriousness that I would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: