Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on what Boston neighborhood to move into. I currently live in Ohio and will receive my Master's degree in mental health counseling in December. In January, I am moving in with my brother and sister-in-law who live in Haverhill, MA. I plan on taking a few months with them to look for a job and find my own shared housing closer to the actual city. I am primarily looking for an area that has a high population of young professionals and an active social scene (i.e., interesting things to do, nice people, etc.). I plan on having roomates, so hopefully rent will be manageable (under $500?). These are the only real requirements I am looking for in a neighborhood.

At this point I am more concerned about the neighborhood in which I live rather than where my job is. I don't mind a commute, either driving or public transportation, but some insight on this issue would help as well. I assume that my counseling position would be in a lower-income neighborhood, especially first starting off.

I first visited Salem and Marblehead in college and fell in love with the area. Since visiting my brother in Haverhill and spending some time in downtown Boston in recent years, I am further determined to live in the city (or as near it as possible). Any advice would be greatly appreciated--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGal1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on what Boston neighborhood to move into. I currently live in Ohio and will receive my Master's degree in mental health counseling in December. In January, I am moving in with my brother and sister-in-law who live in Haverhill, MA. I plan on taking a few months with them to look for a job and find my own shared housing closer to the actual city. I am primarily looking for an area that has a high population of young professionals and an active social scene (i.e., interesting things to do, nice people, etc.). I plan on having roomates, so hopefully rent will be manageable (under $500?). These are the only real requirements I am looking for in a neighborhood.

At this point I am more concerned about the neighborhood in which I live rather than where my job is. I don't mind a commute, either driving or public transportation, but some insight on this issue would help as well. I assume that my counseling position would be in a lower-income neighborhood, especially first starting off.

I first visited Salem and Marblehead in college and fell in love with the area. Since visiting my brother in Haverhill and spending some time in downtown Boston in recent years, I am further determined to live in the city (or as near it as possible). Any advice would be greatly appreciated--thanks!
Even though you mentioned having roommates, you still need to raise your monthy payment; even with help, you should be prepared to pay 600-800; if you ever decide to have our own apartment, expect to pay at least 1000-1300, although you might find something for less in Salem, and use the commuter rail...

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM

613 posts, read 2,299,477 times
MassVt is right; $500 is a little on the low side even with roommates. Think more $550-$650 and you're probably looking at 2-3 roommates. Allston/Brighton and Somerville (Davis Square) are areas to consider. Jamaica Plain and South Boston could also work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston