Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 17,748 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I have a three hour layover in Boston next weekend and are wondering if we can make it from the airport to Cheers and back in that time frame? Do we do a taxi? Any help or info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Not quite sure why you'd want to, as it's quite the tourist trap, but it's potentially doable, though you might ask if you're willing to miss the second flight and take a later one. Between travel time and eating a meal, it would be tight.

There are actually 2 "Cheers" these days. The one with the facade that you'd see on the show's opening credits is on Beacon Street, but the interior bears little resemblance to the set from the show. Then there's one at Quincy Market that opened more recently. The exterior looks nothing like it, but the interior is copied from the show. Same owners, same menu as far as I know.

The original is a bit of a trek from the subway since you're on such a tight budget for time. You might want a cab. Or you take the Silver Line from the airport to South Station, and then take the Red Line subway inbound to Park St. Walk up toward the state house, take a left on Beacon St, and it's on the right a few blocks down.

For the Quincy Market version, you'd take the shuttle bus from the terminal to the Airport stop on the blue line, then go inbound to State St. It's just a block away or so, behind Faneuil Hall. You can also get off at Aquarium. Aquarium and State are 2 and 3 stations from the Airport station, respectively, so it's a quick subway ride.

There are also Cheers-themed places at Logan Airport itself, but I have no recollection of which terminal or what they're like.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljenn View Post
My hubby and I have a three hour layover in Boston next weekend and are wondering if we can make it from the airport to Cheers and back in that time frame? Do we do a taxi? Any help or info is appreciated!
Well........... that very much depends ....

Yes it can be done. But if your taxi goes via say the Sumner Tunnel, as soon as you get near the tunnel and you find there is a 40 minute traffic jam ... or stuck on Storrow for a half hour coming back ...

A three hour layover of course is actually 2.5 cause there will be a half hour of boarding. Then ya gotta get back through security ... I could do it. Not sure if you could. Here's how I'd do it.

I'd check the tunnel traffic via google maps and call 511 checking downtown/93/tunnels/1A. If it looked good I might hop a cab. If not, assuming you aren't toting luggage, Blue line to Govt Center then walk South on Cambridge/Tremont St take a left at King's Chapel. Walk up Beacon St past the Statehouse to Cheers which is on Beacon across from the Public Garden. If you get to Arlington, you went too far.

Ironically, I have never been inside Cheers.

Frankly if I were shooting through BOS, I wouldn't go to Cheers, I would go to Quincy Market. Blue Line to Govt Center, walk down the stairs, straight to the Fisherman's Wharf and get some of those scallops. YUM!

Problem with the whole deal is one traffic jam either way or one late train and you could miss your flight. People typically plan 45 minutes to get to the Airport from downtown because contingencies. Is any of this scheme occurring anywhere near rush hour?

My advice ... don't. Go to Legal Seafoods in the airport and enjoy some good Boston Seafood. Boston is very hard to navigate, very trafficky, too prone to jam. Sorry. I think chances of you missing your plane are fair to good.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

12,564 posts, read 21,718,207 times
I probably wouldn't do it. I'm not saying you can't do it, but I wouldn't. You can easily get into the area around Cheers! (go to the one on Beacon St if you do it, not the outpost in Quincy Market) via public transit, but I would take a cab (it'll cost you around $15-20 each way) for time's sake.

if you account for the time it takes to leave the gate area from your arriving flight (assuming it's on time), get a cab, get over to Cheers! (praying traffic isn't bad), be seated, eat, return to the airport, go through security again, and then make your connection, it'll be close. For me, the rushing around wouldn't be worth it to go get some pub food. Is it impossible? No. But I think you need a LOT to go your way to have success. Remember, that three hours is three hours until your flight's scheduled departure, not boarding time (which happens about 1/2 hour earlier unless you've taken that into account). If you show up 2 minutes before the scheduled departure (i.e. you've been gone 2 hours and 58 minutes) you're most likely not getting on the flight as cabin doors will be closed and there is no reopening them.

If you're set on it... see what you can do. Otherwise, I'd wait for a separate visit or call and see if you can't reschedule your connection for a later time of day.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
The one with the facade that you'd see on the show's opening credits is on Beacon Street, but the interior bears little resemblance to the set from the show. Then there's one at Quincy Market that opened more recently. The exterior looks nothing like it, but the interior is copied from the show. Same owners, same menu as far as I know.

There are also Cheers-themed places at Logan Airport itself, but I have no recollection of which terminal or what they're like.
Actually H I think they gutted the Bull and Finch and remodeled it just like Cheers. They even renamed it.

And yeah there is a faux Cheers at Quincy. And yeah, i thought I was remembering one in the airport too now that you mention it.

OK, so my rec now is go to the airport Legal Seafood for lunch then go to the faux Cheers in the AP for a drink.

If you did go into BOS, you're going to find there is a helluva lot more to see than just Cheers and you probably won't want to leave. Maybe you ought to stay overnight.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 PM

613 posts, read 2,298,227 times
What time of day is your layover? Rush hour, no. Otherwise, you can probably do it, but I would take a taxi at least one way ($25 or more each way). If you're going, go to the original inspiration on Beacon St. and skip the Quincy Market one. You probably won't have time to eat, but you can get your picture taken with the sign and have a beer. I haven't heard anything about them gutting and remodeling it, but the "original" doesn't look anything like the TV version on the inside.

My personal opinion: I don't think it's worth it just to see Cheers. If you're actually in town, it's a fun tourist thing to do, but, I wouldn't go completely out of my way on a tight schedule. I'm with the other poster who suggested going to the Legal Seafoods restaurant at the airport (Terminal C, I think) and having a bowl of chowder.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:02 PM

12,564 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
And yeah, i thought I was remembering one in the airport too now that you mention it.
That makes three of us. I can't remember where though. I want to say it's in Terminal B, but don't quote me. I'd still go with Legal Seafoods. Anyway, I don't think it's worth trying to get into town for.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

18,606 posts, read 33,168,447 times
I used to walk through the Boston Common every day for work and try to help tourists who were always a) studying their maps and appearing lost and b) getting ready to walk into the Combat Zone, such as it was.
More often than not, they wanted to see "the Cheers bar." They were always disappointed to hear that they would only see a facade. Might as well go down to Boston Medical to see "St. Elsewhere."
I sure wouldn't risk a plane flight on a brief layover, and a taxi wouldn't help. There must be a better way to enjoy three hours in the Boston area!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Might as well go down to Boston Medical to see "St. Elsewhere."
I'm pretty sure St Elsewhere was St Elizabeth's in Brighton. I only watched the show a few times, but as I recall when I did I recognized the interior.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Actually H I think they gutted the Bull and Finch and remodeled it just like Cheers. They even renamed it.

And yeah there is a faux Cheers at Quincy. And yeah, i thought I was remembering one in the airport too now that you mention it.

OK, so my rec now is go to the airport Legal Seafood for lunch then go to the faux Cheers in the AP for a drink.

If you did go into BOS, you're going to find there is a helluva lot more to see than just Cheers and you probably won't want to leave. Maybe you ought to stay overnight.
Did they really remodel it? I know they renamed it but last time I was there, which goes back about 8 years, it still didn't look like the TV set inside. I thought that's why they built the one at Quincy Market. But it wouldn't surprise me that they remodeled Beacon St too.

I'd go to Legal too, unless you're coming in to town for more than just a very short layover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston