Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times

Advertisements

So we are finally making the move to Mass in mid august to Sept 1st. We needed an honest opinion from Boston/Mass residents as to where they would recommend we look for an apartment.

Here is the criteria:

1. Looking to spend up to $1750 a month on rent for a 1 bedroom.
2. We both will be working in Boston so would like to be near a T stop (not commuter rail but the subway)
3. Safe neighborhood/town
4. Relatively active area with good places to eat, shop, etc....
5. We are a young couple with no kids (in our mid 20's) so school system is not important.
6. Relatively modern/renovated or new building or apartment.

We thought we found a good place to live in Quincy, but are looking at other options again and would love some input from everyone. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cart24; 07-02-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Default Recommendations needed!

So we are finally making the move to Mass in mid august to Sept 1st. We needed an honest opinion from Boston/Mass residents as to where they would recommend we look for an apartment.

Here is the criteria:

1. Looking to spend up to $1750 a month on rent for a 1 bedroom.
2. We both will be working in Boston so would like to be near a T stop (not commuter rail but the subway)
3. Safe neighborhood/town
4. Relatively active area with good places to eat, shop, etc....
5. We are a young couple with no kids (in our mid 20's) so school system is not important.
6. Relatively modern/renovated or even new (I know hard to find in Boston) apartment.

We thought we found a good place to live in Quincy, but are looking at other options again and would love some input from everyone. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM

212 posts, read 948,424 times
Default cambridge,

Cambridge is cool, lots of great restaurants, fairly safe (it's a city), lots of interesting shopping, tons of things to do especially if you're into music. No need for a car - walking distance to most red line t stops. David Sq. somerville is also pretty cool and on the red line. Arlington, near the cambridge line is also a great location. Arlington has lots of great restaurants.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
I’m not an MA resident yet (moving there in August), but we just got an apartment so maybe I can get you started. One area that we really liked that’s on the T is Brookline. I think you may be able to find a decent apartment there, but it would be towards the top of your price range. Same thing Cambridge, but from there it would be a better commute to get to downtown Boston.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
check out West Roxbury and Roslindale, even J.P. maybe Braintree?
Arlington, maybe

Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 AM

80 posts, read 477,514 times
Based on your 1br price range, I would recommend the South End, Back Bay, or the North End. South Boston may also be an option, its a little more rough around the edges and subway is not as accessible, but you could get a nicer place.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:25 AM

41 posts, read 161,874 times
check out malden/melrose area a lot of new apartments being built and its close to the orange line quick commute to boston easy acess to 95 128 and 93

Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
with that budget, you could afford to live almost anywhere in Boston! I personally wouldn't live in Quincy if you can afford to live in the Boston area (Quincy is a blue collar town south of Boston. not a bad place, but not a mecca of entertainment and there's only the Braintree branch of the red line to rely upon, so it'll take a while to get into the downtown area)

not sure where you'll be working or going to school, but my personal suggestions:

1) Porter/Davis Sq. I'm kind of biased b/c I used to live there, but it's pretty nice. lots of college kids, but it's not a student "ghetto" like most of Allston. a few bars, restaurants, and a small movie 4-6 screen movie theatre that shows major and indie films. Davis Sq is a bit busier than Porter Sq. but I think the apartments near Porter are nicer. both Porter and Davis are off the red line (they're only a few miles apart).

2) Fenway. I recall a large high-rise going up in the Fenway area (the Trilogy, though how much it costs, I don't know, but you could probably afford it). and there's lots of other apartments in the area. of course you'll be near Fenway Park (learn to like baseball and LOVE the Sox to survive here!), but you'll also be near Landsdown St, the major nightclub hot spot. also near some restaurants, shopping mall, AMC theatre, and colleges/hospitals. depending on the location, you can either catch the "D" green line (WARNING: this line is undergoing renovations this summer, but should be down by the fall...hopefully) or walk up to Kenmore and catch the "D", "C", or "B" line

3) Coolidge Corner, Brookline. I love this area. the Coolidge Corner theatre is one of the best theatre around, lots of great restaurants and stores. very nice, safe neighborhood mostly populated by large apartment buildings. the "C" green line stops here

4) South End/Back Bay. lots of shops and restaurants. you may even be able to afford a 1 bedroom on Newbury St, which is crammed full of high end shopping. the apartments in this area may be older, but they may be renovated. this area is close to the Fenway, the Theatre district and downtown, so you're close to some action. the orange line, and most of the green line passes through here

Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
I would go with Cambridge or the Davis Sq. area of Somerville. I agree with eevee- Porter Sq. has students, but doesn't have the school kid atmosphere. There are alot of young professionals mixed in. I think Davis is a little more appealing overall, but they are so close anyway with many apartments in between both squares. The areas of Cambridge between Harvard Square and Porter are amazing and very close to everything- those are areas I would target!

I like Brookline as well, but commuting on the Green Line takes the patient type if you know what I mean. I also like Coolidge Corner, but dealing with the Green line here as well. You'll also find more students- BU and BC mixed in. If you take the C line further out, there are more ideal areas, but then you are farther from downtown. You do have to be careful about what buildings and areas - you could easily find yourself in a college dorm type situation with parties nightly.

Overall, I think Cambridge or Somerville would work out best. Best of luck in your search.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
I second Porter and Davis Squares. I used to live midway between the 2, and I loved it.

If you don't mind airplane news, you could find a place in your price range in East Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston