Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,839 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have seen varying posts on this subject before so I apologize for any repetition but there seem to be lots of Dorchester experts out there so I wanted to take advantage of your knowledge.

My boyfriend and I are looking to purchase a home in Boston (has to be in Boston Proper). We are interested in Dorchester b/c we want a 3-bedroom but need to stay within the 350-400k range and is more conveniently located for us than going further south to West Roxbury. I work right next to North Station so would like to be able to get to work easily via bus/T rather than driving and paying to park. We are looking at the Neponset area but I am wondering if it would be better to go closer to Ashmont station? It seems walkable to Ashmont but if I take a bus/T the MBTA website said the commute would be over an hour from Neponset. It seems that people think Ashmont Hills is a nice area - would this be a better option?

It is also important for me to be in an area where I can run outside safely. I saw something about the Neponset trail - is this safe? Are there other parks/running areas that are nearby.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
I think that the Neponset area would be about 1 mile or so to Ashmont station.

Seems the Neponset Trail is adjacent to Pope John Paul Park, part of the Harborwalk? Ch. 5's "Chronicle" mentioned these areas along with canoeing on the Neponset River nearby as good recreational opportunities.

Lower Mills area on the Milton border may be an option, as well as Savin Hill and Jones Hill (Sawyer/Cushing/Windemere streets). Melville Park and Wellesley Park near the Shawmut T are very nice, but too close to bad sections, as is Jones Hill.

Port Norfolk, on the other side of Morrisey Blvd. and the Neponset section, near N. Quincy, is pleasant and may be worth a look. Adams Village, near Ashmont Hill and Pope's Hill, is also desirable.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
The best areas for a 3-BR house in Dorchester are Cedar Grove, Codman Hill, and Lower Mills. At least that's where you'll find the most to choose from. (You've probably noticed that "Dot" has more than its share of three-deckers and big rambling homes.) The first two neighborhoods on that list of three are the closest to the Red Line. Cedar Grove has its own station on the trolley line that connects directly to the train into town while Codman Hill is a short walk west from Ashmont. Lower Mills is due south of Ashmont and a bit of a hike down Dot Ave from there.
In terms of "flavor," Lower Mills and Codman Hill are multiracial enclaves with no significant trends toward any specific group increasing its numbers. Cedar Grove is ethnically somewhat diverse (Irish, Polish, etc) but mostly if not entirely White, as are the communities north of Gallivan Blvd in that corner of town (Adams Corner, Popes Hill, Neponset, etc.) You'll find mostly 1950's ranch houses in Cedar Grove, while in the other two "spotlighted" areas there are many well-constructed Colonials from a decade or two earlier.
The commercial hubs thereabouts are along Morrissey Blvd, around Neponset Circle and Adams Corner (Adams St & Gallivan Blvd), and on Dot Ave south of Gallivan. A lot of energy is going into rejuvenating the district immediately adjacent to Ashmont Station also, with a couple of yuppie-oriented restaurants (Ashmont Grill, Tavolo) opening in recent years.
The new trail along the Neponset River is perfectly safe for visiting/jogging during the daytime - emphasis on "daytime." Lower Mills and Cedar Grove are more closely situated to it, with another advantage being that when you cross the river you're in suburban (and hilly) Milton for wider-ranging explorations on foot. Just beyond the expressway to the east, recently spruced-up beaches and oceanfront walkways await. Things start to get sketchy only to the west of Washington St and up around Fields Corner.
My personal favorite part of Dorchester, lately, is Savin Hill - especially the portion called "OTB" (short for "Over the Bridge," the bridge being the overpass carrying Savin Hill Ave over the expressway.) I've shown it plenty of love in multiple other threads so won't repeat much here. MBTA proximity? Check! Scenic beauty? Check! (Malibu Beach and Savin Hill Park, the latter "unimproved," in other words left in its natural state except for some lawnmowing.) Great neighborhood dining/drinking? Check! (Shanti, McKenna's, Banshee, DBar...) Good luck finding a single-family house there, though.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,839 times
Sorry for delay but thank you to you both for your comments. I have been making trips to Dorchester to get more familiar with the area and can definitely see myself living there. I have been looking for something to open up in the part of Savin Hill you are referencing so I could check it out, but so far it is only the other side of 93. I had not heard of Codman Hill or Jones Hill and will definitely look into those. I drove through Adam's Village and that seems like it has lots of nice options for restaurants and such. It is fun but overwhelming to look for an actual 'home'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston