Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Read somewhere that there are city ordinances restricting neon in the city of Boston. What's that all about?

If that's true, to what extent? What are you feelings on that? Better for the city or worse for the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Read somewhere that there are city ordinances restricting neon in the city of Boston. What's that all about?

If that's true, to what extent? What are you feelings on that? Better for the city or worse for the city?
Not aware of it and there are neon signs around but it's possible there are some restrictions these days. Vermont banned neon because it emits mercury and, frankly, because Vermont's a sedate and rural New England state where tastes run to the pastoral rather than Route 66 kitsch. They don't allow billboards there either.

A lot of formerly neon signs now are using LED, most famously the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square.

Someone proposed a Times Square-like thing on Lansdowne St (with LED, not neon). I would hate that. To me the whole point of Boston is that it's not Times Square.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Do you mean actual neon or just bright colorful light (mostly LED today)?

I don't know if there's an ordinance, but it's something many people are against. I think that even if there were a law against it, the Citgo sign is somewhat of a landmark and I'm sure it was grandfathered in.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I think I vaguely remember hearing about limitations on bright LED or Neon lighting in largely residential areas. For example, I'm 100% positive that it's legal to have bright neon lighting in the Theatre District. In fact, the bright marquees and advertisements are part of the draw.

One of my favorite proposals for Boston is this narrow little gem that will go directly across the street from the W Hotel on the narrow parcel next to the Wilbur Theatre. It is a slim, modern structure with a heavy dose of LED lighting and advertising. I love it. Here are a few renderings:

In the Theatre District, that will fly. There's no way you get it built on Beacon Hill though.

If it is a law, I like it. There is a place for everything, and historic residential neighborhoods aren't a good spot for bright neon lighting. The Theatre District, on the other hand is a perfect location for nice bright lighting as it's part of the draw.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
I think the law involves how big the signage is, whether it's a commercial district, etc. There are plenty of small neon signs in my neighborhood along the commercial buildings -- bars and restaurants make use of it. Here is a particularly famous neon sign:

I like this one a lot, and to the extent that there are other examples in my neighborhood, it pleases me. Maybe they are violating the law, maybe they are grandfathered, but it keeps a bit of urban style going in what is predominately a residential area.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Boston is the antithesis to Times Sq. Loud wild lights and colors are tacky, gaudy, improper and profane. Boston does not want to be TS.

Boston is sedate, ornate, elegant, tactfully appointed, proper. Even Dunkin Donuts and 7-11 sports gold lettering against fine woodwork in Beacon Hill.

The history of Boston's subdued and tactfully appointed tradition is anything but new. It's lineage is visible back to the colonial times in the Old State House and can be further traced observing design commissioned by London Society back a looonnnnnnng way... IOW, New England inherited its proper manners from Old England.

A wiki photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: