Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM

608 posts, read 1,708,143 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Boston for two nights in November. Which subway stops would I be most likely to find relatively inexpensive hotel/motel accommodations near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,246 times
There is a Mariott right above the Kendall stop on the Red Line. However, I don't think that counts as "inexpensive". Ditto the one by Riverside on the Green Line D.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Maybe the Quincy Marriott is an option, up on a hill. Has a free shuttle to the nearby Red Line at Quincy-Adams, then perhaps 30 min. Into Park St. station on Boston Common.

The Best Western Adams Inn in N. Quincy has its own shuttle to the nearby subway, much closer to Park St. than the above hotel. But not as nice or new.
Perhaps the Doubletree Bayside near the JFK Library. Again, you may need the hotel shuttle to the nearby subway. It's near part of the HarborWalk for strolls.

These outside of town spots are options if Boston is still too costly for you at your time of arrival.

But check Hotwire or Priceline, of course, for good deals, possibly right downtown.

Brookline and Cambridge have a number of guesthouses and inns, but even those
can be costly, but a nice touch if you prefer to avoid sterile chain hotels. Within walking distance to the trolley/subway is the Longwood Inn and BeechTree Inn (near each other). Cambridge has Irving House, Prentiss Inn as well as A Friendly Inn, all near Harvard Sq.

Howard Johnson Motor Lodge is not great (1960s ambiance from outside), but it's next to Fenway Park and convenient, and likely lower cost.

463 Beacon is a guesthouse in the desirable Back Bay.

Hampton Inn is at 811 Mass. Ave. Not the best part of town, but if they have a shuttle, it may work for you. Adjacent is Comfort Inn.

An obscure choice: The YWCA on Berkeley St. is convenient and also allows men but only for short-term stays, I believe, of maybe 3 nites max. Around $59-$65 as of last year.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 10-16-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
The Marriott Courtyard on Tremont Street is within walking distance of South Station. Weekend rates are around $200 per night - pretty good for Boston.

Courtyard Boston Downtown/Tremont Hotels | Back Bay Boston Hotel | Boston Hotel Downtown | Hotels in Downtown Boston

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I would really just bid on priceline or go with hotwire. Search Kayak.com too just to get an idea what lowest advertised rates are.

If you've never used priceline or hotwire, there are some catches. The prices on these sites are below anything you've seen advertised (generally around %40 lower). For that reason, neither site will give you a hotel NAME until after you buy the room. What they do give you is a star rating (2-5) and a neighborhood. The international chains are often the hotels you get (4-star back bay could easily be the Westin), but not always. In a city like Boston, any hotel (3-star or higher) in a neighborhood like Back Bay, Faneuil Hall, Financial District, Quincy Market, Fenway Beacon Hill, Theatre District, etc will be good and put you within walking distance to subway stations and other amenities and attractions. More than that, they'll be safe.

If you're willing to leave the actual name of the hotel a mystery, you can get a nice downtown hotel for the cost (or less) of a cheap motel in the 'burbs. Personally, I do this whenever I travel. My strategy is to look at Kayak.com first to check advertised rates. Then I look at the hotwire rates for certain neighborhoods and star ratings. After that, I go to priceline and bid a little bit lower than the hotwire price for a hotel with the same star rating and neighborhood. 9/10 times it works. I've booked the Westin downtown for $60 when the advertised rate for the Best Western Adams (Quincy) was $95.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Irfox:

What happens if your Priceline bid is rejected? Do you have to wait 24 hours or so to re-bid, or just use a different credit card or different computer to re-bid?

And how much notice does one need before arrival? Can someone bid at 4:00 pm, get a bid approved, then show up that hour? Or is 24 hours' notice the norm?

I've met travellers who don't/aren't allowed to use anything but the hotel's site? So they feel it's better to get an inflated "corporate rate" and miles on their account instead?

To anybody considering the Ramada in Dorchester: 3-4 years ago it received the worst hotel in the city rating by an organization I can't recall. It's a former Susse Chalet...and it shows. The lobby seemed ok at least, when I checked rates out of curiosity while driving by in recent months ($150+ish or so).

Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
^A number of things can happen if your bid is rejected. If you're nowhere near an "acceptable bid", you have adjust your bid (different star rating or neighborhoods) and you can bid again instantly. You do have to wait 24 hours to bid again on the same card/account. Of course, to get around this you can set up a few accounts under different email addresses (you don't even need to use a different card). I generally check Hotwire before I bid on Priceline to get an idea of what I'm going to bid (usually about 5-10% lower than the Hotwire rate for a same class hotel in the same neighborhood). That helps avoid switching accounts.

If you're in the ballpark of an acceptable bid, they'll come back and tell you to bid again (generally $10-15 will do it at that point) and you don't have to change your selections. This happens frequently.

Finally, if you're REALLY close, they'll come back and say something to the tune of "your bid cannot be accepted but a hotel offered a counter bid of $10 more, will you accept?" and you can agree or disagree.

As far as the notice thing, I'm pretty sure it is good up to 7 or 8pm the day you plan to check in (It says on the website somewhere). I've used it the day of before; but the best rates are generally between 72 hours and 24 hours before check in.

The only time that priceline or hotwire isn't a great deal if a big event is taking place in town (Super Bowl, Mardi Gras or something outrageous like that. If there's a regular season professional sports event, it's generally no big deal).

Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
check out braintree and the tara they give you a ride to the T and the mall also. I do think a motel 6?
right near the T stop into Boston. The Tara was a Sheraton hotel with Flatley the owner who did sell. The Tara was real nice also.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 233,554 times
Cambridge Gateway is walking distance to Alewife on the Red Line and is very inexpensive. If all you need is a bed for a couple nights this might be an option.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 126,860 times
have stayed at hampton inn in cambridge near leachmere...reasonable price, with parking garage, and easy to get to subway...also had breakfast included
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston