Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,461 times

Advertisements

What is the most gay friendly town/city in MA ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:00 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
If you could give us some more info, that would be really helpful. The truth is that there is really no such thing as a town that's "unfriendly" to gays in Massachusetts. Even the roughest most depressed cities in the state have sizable gay communities.

In order to give you some suggestions, having an idea of your budget may help. Also, it would be nice to know what type of environment you'd like to live in (rural, suburban, urban). Are there any cities or towns you need to live near for commuting reasons or can you live anywhere and work from home?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:13 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Cape Cod: Provincetown
Metro Boston: South End, Cambridge, Somerville
Suburbs: Newburyport
Western MA: Northampton

Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Jamaica Plain has been popular with lesbians for years, as well as gay males.

Parts of Dorchester in recent years have attracted gay men; D Bar on Dot Ave. is gay, I believe, and a few nice resaurants have opened in recent years around the Ashmont station. Melville Park near the Shawmut station is nice and likely gay-friendly, but too near bad parts for my taste. The Savin Hill section, off 1100 Dorchester Ave. (Dot. Ave.) seems especially popular for gays.

Yes, parts of Dorchester are crime-ridden, but sections of this vast neighorhood are surprisingly livable. You'd be ok in most or all of Quincy also.

I keep hearing in recent years how South Boston is attracting gays. I in the Broadway station area regularly, and it doesn't strike me as having a heavy gay vibe...but the influx of lofts and condos and the educated would likely make a gay male feeel comfortable.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM

21 posts, read 44,268 times
We live on the South Shore in Duxbury. We have been here for almost 15 years and have had no issues to speak of. You will find plenty of open minded people in most of Massachusetts. Welcome!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 12,421 times
I have to say we live in Salem and LOVE it - of course right about now it is extremely popular among tourist but the the other 11 months the town is a lot of fun. There is no "gay" bar, but everywhere you go in town there are gays.

We moved from the west coast and found New England to be very welcoming -

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 AM

126 posts, read 467,563 times
Um, isn't Jamaica Plain pretty crime-ridden too? It's not really a place I'd recommend anyone to move to.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSun View Post
Um, isn't Jamaica Plain pretty crime-ridden too? It's not really a place I'd recommend anyone to move to.
Have you been there? There are some spotty sections but the majority is beautiful and perfectly safe. I moved into an apartment on Centre Street not far from the Pond. My neighborhood is chalk full of families, young couples and beautiful homes. There are also some excellent shops and restaurants at my doorstep. If anything, this area is over gentrified.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM

26 posts, read 95,864 times
My partner and I live in South Boston and it is very gay. There are about 10 gay couples within 4 blocks of me (and that's the ones we know about). There are also gay singles all around. There is a gay night, at local bars, once a month. Check out newsouthie.com if u want to know more about those parties. I wouldn't say that it's as gay as the southend or sowa...but it's starting to be. We love living in southie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston