U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 AM

7 posts, read 12,798 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to the Boston area (Cambridge to be exact). I am renting an apartment in mid Cambridge. It is ok but a little farther from shopping than I would like and really, I want to buy.

I am looking to buy a condo. What I want is something where I can walk to all shopping, gym, restaurants, etc. in a very safe neighborhood. I am working in the Financial District and want a pretty easy commute. Right now I walk 13 minutes to the Red Line and take that into South Station.

In NY, I lived in Queens in a great high rise building with doorman, etc. Everything was either walking distance or a short bus ride away. I want a similar setup. Price range would be 300-400K for a very lrge one bedroom or a 2 bedroom. I do not have a car.

Is it possible for me to find this? I really miss having a doorman and being so close to shopping.

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 AM

11,313 posts, read 19,881,793 times
Is the high rise aspect important? Boston obviously has far fewer options than even some of the outer boroughs in New York.

Assuming you do want a high rise, a few come to mind. I think you may be able to find a 1 bedroom at 45 Province in your price range. Right near the subway, FiDi (yes, I just did), and shopping. It's a relatively new structure. The Clarendon in Back Bay may be a bit too expensive, but worth looking at. Two blocks from Newbury Street, near Copley Place, and right next to Back Bay Station. Another is the residences at the W. They are struggling financially, so you may be able to get a lower price. Of course, the financial struggles also mean more risks for you.

The Boston Harbor Towers may fit your bill too. Prices seem close to reasonable (1bedrooms listed at $419k). That realty company has a number of listings.

There are plenty more but they won't all be high rises. Many mid rises and low rises out there. My favorite in town is Fp3, but there's no way I can afford it.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 AM

I could do without the high rise as long as it's doorman building and it's convenient to transportation/shopping. And safe, naturally. I did not realize there aren't that many high rises.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,419,578 times
South End? great restaurants and newbury is close

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM

613 posts, read 2,215,061 times
In my experience, doorman buildings in Boston aren't too common except in some of the real luxury buildings (i.e., Ritz Carlton Towers). It's very different than NYC. You are more likely to find a full time concierge though. Most (if not all) of the highrise doorman buildings are going to be in Boston. Here's one that I found that looks like it fits your price range. Boston Condo - The Metropolitan Midtown Boston

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Is it possible to find something just outside the city then? It does not have to be in Boston proper as long as it's a reasonable commute. I can see most of the high rises are way out of my price range. What outside areas are safe and easy without a car?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM

7,227 posts, read 6,631,307 times
I can't imagine you are going to find a doorman building outside of the city. If that's really a deal-breaker, you will probably need to increase your budget.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:12 AM

220 posts, read 555,690 times
Another consideration is that condos with more than the barest-of-bone amenities are likely to have pretty high fees. I pay more than $800/mo. for the luxury of an elevator and heat (though my place is pretty big). Still, with a doorman/concierge, I would be suprised if even a small condo is less than $700/mo. (heat included).

Old 10-18-2010, 12:41 PM

I paid $943 in NY for co-op fees! That included all utilities (and central air which was sweet).

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM

7,227 posts, read 6,631,307 times
Apparently, you can get something for your price range in the Jamaica Towers.

http://www.newtonandbrooklinehomes.com/Jamaicaway Towers

These put you within walking distance of Centre St (with its restaurants and bars) and the 39 bus to the Back Bay is at the end of the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston