Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think about smoking bans in Boston
greatest thing they ever did 46 70.77%
maybe in family oriented venues but not everywhere 10 15.38%
we should ban smoking bans altogether no matter what the venue 13 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,398,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
Just b/c the public is invited in dosnt make the establishment a "public" venue.
Actually, It does!

Quote:
I say kudos to any bar owner that allows their patrons to smoke to spite the law, keep fighting for your freedom, there are those who support you.
You are not "free" to force health issues, and foul odors onto others! Join a private club/bar. They can still smoke. I'm all for freedom and the state/gov't NOT telling me what to do, but the reality is smoking DOES cause health issues to others in public areas. You speak of freedom, but what about the non-smokers freedom? Like many your speak of rights, but apparently only the ones YOU choose to exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 AM

30,857 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
It appears that even on this forum my words are being sensored and perhaps its b/c I directed them to a specific person so lets try this another way. When you make claims like "the government knows best" you are slipping down a dangerous sloap. We dont need the government to tell us how we should be living and so on. We are all adults, are we not capable of making decisions on our own or do we need a higher authority to watch over us like a baby sitter or rather, a "big brother"
I assure you there are no dangerous "sloaps" here, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,059,543 times
"I like that idea b/c it will help to keep ppl from getting in debt over their head but i voted it down anyway b/c if it passed, that would be another example of the government dictating how a private business was run. If only I could help ppl to look deeper than the surface and see the bigger picture."....

Then, I trust that you are also against laws that prohibit the use of child labor, slave labor, women's maternity leaves, minimum wage, anti-discrimination laws etc etc. Basic you will be against all laws that moved the country into the modern civilized age. Heck, why stop here, why have laws at all? Why can't I hire 9 years old minors to work 60 hours a week at $.50/hour if they are willing? Why should I provide them with a clean restroom to pee in if they can do it outside in the bushes? Come on, man!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:16 PM

296 posts, read 528,696 times
good thing. i'm not going to get too optimistic though because i'm sure plenty of smokers will just ignore this law. can't tell you how many times i've been somewhere where smoking is banned and some fire breather is ruining it for everyone, smoking in a crowd of people spewing their dragon fire all over someone else forcing them to breathe their Sh*t!!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 AM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,021,896 times
I was on the highway yesterday right behind a woman smoking a cigarette. She was dangling her cigarette out the window and I was surprised that I could smell the fumes in my car through my open window. We were both in the fast lane. Needless to say I had to pass her on her right to get around her and her awful smell.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Actually, It does!

You are not "free" to force health issues, and foul odors onto others! Join a private club/bar. They can still smoke. I'm all for freedom and the state/gov't NOT telling me what to do, but the reality is smoking DOES cause health issues to others in public areas. You speak of freedom, but what about the non-smokers freedom? Like many your speak of rights, but apparently only the ones YOU choose to exercise.

snatale1 well said

Old 08-02-2013, 09:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times
Isn't this argument moot by now? The smoking ban has been in effect for almost a decade. It's enforced. People who try to light up in a bar are 86ed. I can't remember the last time I've seen that happen though.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM

296 posts, read 528,696 times
not moot yet until people aren't lighting up in the middle of a crowded sidewalk with complete disregard to anyone, including children, around them

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM

5,774 posts, read 5,059,543 times
Well...el greco...

I have to disagree with you here. In a room or a confined space, sure, ban smoking for everyone's sake. But outside on a public sidewalk??? If you and your kids object to the smell, then walk away, run away, cover your nose etc etc. The smoker should not be forced like a poor mangy dog to go crawl under some bush to smoke. That's just going too far.

Like miu, if you don't like the smell and you are outside, you have the option to walk away, like she drove past the woman smoking in her car on the highway.

Don't exaggerate this health thing. A whiff of tobacco smoke is NOT going to kill your kid or give him some health issue down the road or a psychological trauma! Calm down.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,003,761 times
It's not illegal to smoke on sidewalks.

I walked behind some bus exhaust yesterday and lived to tell the tale. And I didn't even feel the need to rant about the smell or the trauma of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston