Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM

35 posts, read 190,397 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering on relocating to Boston, MA and I would like to receive your advice regarding the:

Transit system - am I able to live in the city without a car?

Schools - How are the schools in the city? How do they rank from all other states?

Income Tax - What is the % for income tax?

Tax Incentives - Does the city offer tax incentives if you purchase a historical home and/or update it with eco friendly technologies?

Rental Cost - Cost to rent a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment, condo/loft, home?

I hope some one out there who is already living in the city is able to help me with these important questions.

In advance, thank you and I appreciate all of your help, assistance, and your informative knowledge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM

504 posts, read 615,674 times
It is easier to live in the city without a car than it is to live in Boston with a car and the same can be said for the suburbs of Cambridge and Sommerville which are at least as dense as Boston.
The schools in Boston are some of the highest ranked urban public schools in the country and the Boston Latin School which requires an entrance exam is one of the highest rated high schools in the country overall.
Unfortunately I do not know the income tax but you could probably find information about taxes on the Massachusets state website.
Again I would suggest you look at the state/ city website or call the city offices.
A 2 bedroom 2 bath condo seems to be between about 2 million and a half a million dollars to buy and an apartment would be about 2,000 dollars a month.

One important fact that may help you decide is that you will probably earn more in Boston. Which helps to offset the cost of living.

I do not live in Boston but have visited many times and know people that live in Boston/ the Boston area.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 151,446 times
I think that most of the schools in the city of Boston stink. You have to get bussed around in lots of cases. School assignment is done by lottery system, not by which school is closest to your home. Yes, Boston Latin is a great public school. I know because I graduated from there. But I would never move to Boston thinking I was sending my kids there because you have to take a test to get in. There are only so many seats available and they only admit kids in 7th grade and again in 9th grade.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA777 View Post
Hi,

I am considering on relocating to Boston, MA and I would like to receive your advice regarding the:

Transit system - am I able to live in the city without a car?
I think it can be done and know plenty of people who do it. Boston has a solid transit system and it's also a dense and compact city. Depending on where you work and live, transit can make things a lot easier and be a lot cheaper. Also, Zip car has cars all over the place which is an easy alternative should you need a car for some shopping trips.

Quote:
Schools - How are the schools in the city? How do they rank from all other states?
I cannot comment on this since I grew up outside of Boston in the suburbs. As someone else mentioned, Boston uses a lottery system to determine what school you go to. So you could live in Dorchester, but go to Brighton for High School. A decent trip. Boston does have some good charter schools in addition to pretty good (for a city) public schools.

Quote:
Income Tax - What is the % for income tax?
The income tax is 5.3%. It's a flat tax rate.

Quote:
Tax Incentives - Does the city offer tax incentives if you purchase a historical home and/or update it with eco friendly technologies?
No idea on this one.

Quote:
Rental Cost - Cost to rent a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment, condo/loft, home?
Depends on where you live and how nice of a place you're talking about. Could be as low as $1300 or as high as $4,000 for example. It depends on a few different factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston