Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times

Advertisements

Hey, all

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Boston. Actually, she's already there, staying with her sister and getting shot down by pretty much every reputable (and some less-than-reputable) agency we find because of our lousy credit history. Is there something we can do? The situation is getting pretty dire; she's been in Boston for over six weeks and we've made very little progress.

Thanks so much in advance.

--Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
When you say "agency", what do you mean exactly? Do you mean brokers? Have you tried just renting directly from an owner (on CraigsList, you can search specifically for this)?

How bad is bad?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM

348 posts, read 850,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countvertigo View Post
Hey, all

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Boston. Actually, she's already there, staying with her sister and getting shot down by pretty much every reputable (and some less-than-reputable) agency we find because of our lousy credit history. Is there something we can do? The situation is getting pretty dire; she's been in Boston for over six weeks and we've made very little progress.

Thanks so much in advance.

--Matt

Have you tried asking about putting more money down up front (in the case that you do have extra funds to apply)?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

158 posts, read 545,800 times
Its sucks. You'll be blocked from most of the market. I was a broker and have bad credit myself. Try developing strong references and be pro-active about providing them. If credit becomes a problem, have a story. People dont want deadbeats and people who dont pay their rent, but some people are sympathetic about large student loans, medical bills...

The best bet may be to start with a sublet or short term place. They usually dont do extensive background checks. From there, you may be able to slide into a long term lease. Be a good tenant and the landlord may hook you up with a long term situation.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
I tried a place a couple years ago in Quincy on Newport Ave. called "3A Rentals" or similar, across from Wollaston station. I had some credit issues, and he seemed to think he could work with me for certain apts. Probably not the best ones, but he's looking to earn his fee, after all. I decided to stay put.

I had called Presidential Estates in Quincy (always ads on CL and a display ad in the Patriot Ledger). But when I mentioned credit issues, and asked what's the lowest score acceptable, was told "if you have to ask, don't bother applying and wasting the application fee."

Wow, and I thought they were desperate to find tenants, considering the economy and all those ads placed by them.

The extended stay hotels on CL have dropped their prices this time of year. They don't do credit checks, but you'll need a car to reach most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston