Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 15,050 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am staying in Boston as an International student for at least 2 years.

I want to experience everything Boston has to offer, I want to begin now. From the Museums to the Parks and so on. I need help to fill in my check list, so far it looks like this, (very short I know):

Boston Aquarium
Walk the Esplanade
Freedom trail
Fenway Park
USS Constitution
Museum of Fine Arts

Just tell me everything you can think of regardless of what I might be interested in or not!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 25,592 times
Get wicked hammered and puke on the T.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo25 View Post
Get wicked hammered [@ Sullivan's Tab] and puke on the T.
Fixed.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

158 posts, read 545,548 times
Drive around the city when the students move in early September... fume, give people the bird and get road rage.

Some things are event driven. If you are going to be here for a year or two; catch a playoff game ot the Boston Garden. If you do Fenway, opening day is a rite of passage, or try to do a Yankees game. Boston Pops. Marathon Monday is a huge day -- actually a local holiday and partying tradition. Fireworks on the 4th, esplanade is a great place. Saint Paddy's day and the parade in South Boston is a huge tradition. Strolling, jogging or rowing the Charles. Find your favorite restaurants in North End an South End.

Part of Boston is day tripping. If you are here for a while. Spend a day in Portsmouth, Portland, Bar Harbor, Newport... Leaf peap in Vermont or New Hampshire... Drive the Kancamagus... Spend a summer's day driving to Falmouth or Hyannis, take a ferry to the Vinyard or Nantucket.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM

95 posts, read 201,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post

Part of Boston is day tripping. If you are here for a while. Spend a day in Portsmouth, Portland, Bar Harbor, Newport... Leaf peap in Vermont or New Hampshire... Drive the Kancamagus... Spend a summer's day driving to Falmouth or Hyannis, take a ferry to the Vinyard or Nantucket.
Just to elaborate on lukec's post above, one of the benefits of Boston is its close proximity to other major east coast cities, NYC in particular. There are cheap buses and amtrak that will take you into New York for little money. Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington aren't all that far away either (though I know you asked specifically for Boston things to do I feel I'd be remiss not to mention these other cities.) I'd also go to visit Burlington, VT (full disclosure: I'm originally from VT and went to UVM so I'm biased) but the area up there is absolutely gorgeous. Montreal isn't that much farther and it's a really fun city especially Old Montreal.

As far as Boston, check out Lexington on Patriot's Day, go to the Copp's Burial Ground in the North End in addition to Old North Church and Paul Revere's house, check out Haymarket on the weekends for fresh fruits, veggies, and seafood, go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum (Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum), Museum of Science's IMAX theater (my kids love that one), Charles River cruises and seriously, the Duck tour was as much fun for me as it was with my out-of-town friends. So much to do, so little time. Plus, don't get me started on all the fun concerts, lectures, etc. During the holidays, see if you can go see the Boston Pops Holiday Show at Symphony Hall, I had a blast and the music is fantastic. Have fun!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Lots of good suggestions above. All of them very Boston. I would add taking a whale-watching trip, and, if you're physically fit, doing a hike in New Hampshire's White Mountains. Also, try some skiing at one of the resorts in northern New England if skiing interests you.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
Get a guide book/tourist book and do everything in there.

Some things others haven't mentioned - Boston Public Library, Boston Commons, tour prestigious universities like Harvard and MIT, Boston Harbor cruise, Fannuile Hall (or however you spell that place).

The guidebook is your best bet to get a more complete sense of everything Boston.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,821,726 times
Eat lobster
Peabody Essex Museum and other attractions in Salem, esp Halloween
Brewery tour (Sam Adams or Harpoon)
Climb up Bunker Hill
Skate in Frog Pond

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,413,879 times
Default Mapparium

The Mapparium - a giant walk through globe

At the mary Baker eddy library

Mapparium® | The Mary Baker Eddy Library

Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo25 View Post
Get wicked hammered and puke on the T.
Possibly one of my proudest moments as a student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston