Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

I am from California so I would like someone to explain to me what the apparent rivalry is all about between Boston and New Hampshire? The two seem to despise each other, but why? How can one state over claim to be so much friendlier (NH from Ma.) than Ma? Is there some kind of underlying jeolousy? I would really like to know how this started and I have only come to this conclusion by reading the Ma. and NH posts. Is NH really that much more affordable than places just outside of Boston? Seems the taxes are pretty hefty and the choices of great schools is much less in NH, so what's the deal?

Last edited by puffle; 07-17-2007 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Puffle:

MA is the most liberal state in New England, if not the whole United States. New Hampshire is the polar opposite ("Live Free or Die" is the state motto). People in MA consider themselves cosmopolitan, politically correct, socially and environmentally aware and many think that the people of NH are just uneducated rednecks, though they sure like to vaction up there, spend their hard earned money and purchase second homes! And let's not forget where people from MA flock to when they want to make large purchases and save a few bucks in sales tax.

The people of NH are anything but uneducated rednecks. I'm not sure why there should even be a rivalry. The two states should recognize and appreciate each other's differences. Personally, I think that NH has its feet planted more firmly on the ground but that's just me.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
Puffle:

MA is the most liberal state in New England, if not the whole United States. New Hampshire is the polar opposite ("Live Free or Die" is the state motto). People in MA consider themselves cosmopolitan, politically correct, socially and environmentally aware and many think that the people of NH are just uneducated rednecks, though they sure like to vaction up there, spend their hard earned money and purchase second homes! And let's not forget where people from MA flock to when they want to make large purchases and save a few bucks in sales tax.

The people of NH are anything but uneducated rednecks. I'm not sure why there should even be a rivalry. The two states should recognize and appreciate each other's differences. Personally, I think that NH has its feet planted more firmly on the ground but that's just me.
I think you meant MA is the most conservative state; right? That makes sense because NH is so liberal.

Almost everyone I know in NH is from MA, so I don't really understand the issue between everyone. Perhaps it does come down to different ideologies?

With gas prices as they are, I no longer drive up to save on sales tax...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
I think you meant MA is the most conservative state; right? That makes sense because NH is so liberal.

Almost everyone I know in NH is from MA, so I don't really understand the issue between everyone. Perhaps it does come down to different ideologies?

With gas prices as they are, I no longer drive up to save on sales tax...
?? No, MA is the most liberal state. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone call MA conservative. Although now that you mention it, we do have some pretty conservative liquor laws and Western Mass is still pretty conservative. Overall MA is still one of the largest democratic strongholds in the nation, while NH is predominantly republican.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
I guess it would depend on how your defining liberal. If your using liberal the way they do in politics than MA is very liberal, especially around Boston.

MA is in conservative in the sense it doesn't want to change anything, and the state stays in the status quo of thinking they've done everything correctly and don't need to try anything different.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Could someone please address the question about affordability in both states? With the high property taxes I have heard about in NH, is it more affordable than most areas surrounding Boston, or does it equal out in the end?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:01 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Could someone please address the question about affordability in both states? With the high property taxes I have heard about in NH, is it more affordable than most areas surrounding Boston, or does it equal out in the end?
Puffle,

Look at it this way and please do not think I am being snooty. Why would anyone want to commute an extra hour or two every day if they are equally affordable? I would much rather have a 4-bedroom 3000 sq ft house with an acre of land in downtown Boston if they are the same price as in NH.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:13 PM

I realize that anything in Boston will be more than New Hampshire which is why I am comparing New Hampshire prices to the suburbs of Boston, like Needham,Arlington, or the North Shore. Can you buy something of equal value of these places for less, despite the high prop taxes in New Hampshire??

Old 07-17-2007, 02:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I realize that anything in Boston will be more than New Hampshire which is why I am comparing New Hampshire prices to the suburbs of Boston, like Needham,Arlington, or the North Shore. Can you buy something of equal value of these places for less, despite the high prop taxes in New Hampshire??
The simple answer is NO.

If they are "equal value", why would anyone pay less or more? House in NH in general is less than MA. The same size/condition house will cost less in NH. If you are paying the same price in NH as in MA, you are most likely getting a nicer place. Many move to NH simply because they cannot afford the $350K entry level house around Boston.

Taxes is a different issue.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
The simple answer is NO.

If they are "equal value", why would anyone pay less or more? House in NH in general is less than MA. The same size/condition house will cost less in NH. If you are paying the same price in NH as in MA, you are most likely getting a nicer place. Many move to NH simply because they cannot afford the $350K entry level house around Boston.

Taxes is a different issue.
My question to you then is when you figure taxes into it and the possibility of them getting higher in the next five years, does it make sense to buy in NH instead adding in quality of health care and costs, schools, recreation, culture, etc.? Would you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston