Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm at 27 yo male coming up with my gf and some friends from NYC. I've been trying to find a few nice bars in Boston that we can check out. I don't like clubs and drink specials are nice but we will be up next Fri and Sat and most places don't have specials on the weekend. Basically just some decent little bars or pubs with a decent price for a pint. I dont mind college bars either. I was up last year but only for a day and pretty much in the downtown touristy area and didn't find much. Thinking of checking out Redbones this time but maybe just for lunch or something cause it looks like its in the suburbs.

Also, anyone have a good pick for seafood? I went to Fisherman's Wharf and Legal last year which were both good. My gf found a place on yelp I believe that was reviewed as being a place that isn't very touristy and more of a local spot. Anyone got an idea? We're staying at Club Quarters but I don't mind a train ride for a nice area with good food and a bar or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 28,209 times
Elephant and Castle is right next door and no one is there except if there are local sports games on.

Check out Mr. Dooleys as well. Best pint of Guiness on Boston.
77 Broad Street
Boston, MA 02109

Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 28,209 times
Also, Redbones is not in the "suburbs". Take the T to Davis Square and walk down the street. Totally worth the trip.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM

158 posts, read 545,718 times
Yikes. The Club Quarters is nice. Why would one want to leave Downtown to go the suburbs?

For the record, there are no real specials in Massachusetts. Happy hours are against the law. If a place has a price for alcohol, it must keep it all week. Some place are just cheaper than others.

There are plenty of bars right your hotel. Some are off the the main streets a little bit. There is a bar right there that serves $2.00 Bud and Bud Light right near you, Sidebar. Its a Suffolk U dive and lots of Suffolk Law students hang there. If you find that place there are a couple of other places right there:

Sidebar, Hub Pub, Kennedys, Barracudas, Emmetts.

There are also tons of places right 'Downtown' in the "touristy" areas. They can be busy on Friday and Saturday, like all the bars on Union Street, but many have $2.00 drafts... Paddy Os, Hennessys, The Point, The Tap...

But if you want to avoid the main bars on the strips, walk down Broad Street. Cools bars that are just off the beaten path that do not draw a lot of tourists... Mr. Dooleys, Littlest Bar, The Times, Aun Tain, Coogans Bluff... Aun Tain and Coogans sometimes have $1.00 and $2.00 draft at Aun Tain and Coogans.

But if you do go to Davis Square, there are a few bars there. Redbones is more a restaurant than bar, Sligos is a local dive, The Burren is a good Irish pub.

(No, I dont need an appointment with AA)

Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM

Awesome stuff thanks guys.

Yea Elephant and Castle is a pretty good place as far as hotel restaurants/bars go, we stopped in last time we were there.

Sorry for saying Redbones was in the suburbs, I couldn't remember and it looks like it is on google maps. I know its more of a restaurant thats why I figured I'd maybe hit it up for lunch and they have a decent beer menu too.

Did not know that about "happy hour" good to know though.

lukec I'd have a similar list if were talking NYC. I'm gonna find all these places tomorrow and plot them on my nice lil map I got from CQ last time, I'll just have to look at it quickly and discreetly, I hate looking like a tourist.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Redbones has a dedicated bar side...it's a decent choice if you are looking to get off the beaten path.

Another non-touristy-yet-accessible area you may want to check out is Central Square in Cambridge for places like the Cantab, People's Republik, the Cellar.... Just a few stops on the Red Line from downtown. It's easier to think of distances in terms of T stops than actual maps/mileage....

Neptune Oyster is great for seafood as is the new Island Creek Oyster Bar.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Your hotel is in the Financial District meaning most bars there are either closed or VERY quiet on the weekends.

In addition to Elephant and Castle (big chain, by the way), I'd check out Kennedy's or the Hub Pub on Province Street. It's a quiet street; and it's got sort of a "so close yet so far" vibe to it as it's downtown but feels off the beaten path. Of the two, I like Kennedy's much better. The owner is Irish and it has a real Boston vibe to it. The bartenders will sass you in a good natured way (I got free drinks for a night for drinking out of a Martini glass that had been sitting on a table for a while... not standard practice for me) and the drinks are good and reasonably priced. Hub Pub is more "blah" but it's laid back. Right across the street is Marliave. An excellent place for dinner or just appetizers and drinks (great non-traditional clam chowder). They used to have a raw bar but I think it's a cheese shop now.

On Beacon Street, Emmet's isn't bad. Never too rowdy. Same with The Red Hat at Bowdoin. Both small, relaxed pubs.

I like the Intermission Tavern in the Theatre District (Tremont at Stuart). Not because it's a great bar (it's not bad) but because architecturally it's so funny looking (check it out on streetview in google). The bar itself isn't bad. Theatre crowd on weekends. I also like the TAM right next door. Very much a dive but you can grab pizza from the pizzeria next door and bring it in (New York in "style" but not in taste... still, it's food). Pitchers are reasonable too. Remington's is about a block away and is very laid back as well. They have a decent beer selection (they have Sam Adams Brick Red which I love) and board games for everyone to play. Downstairs is Dick Doherty's Comedy Vault which is a local institution and very unique (old bank vault and you can feel the Green Line rumbling beneath the floor). If there's a show, it'd be worth going.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
All good suggestions above. I'm just going to add my go-to downtown bar JJ Foley's to the list. It's on Kingston St, and an easy walk from where you'll be staying.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
I second JJ Foleys and the Red Hat. The latter especially feels like a real throwback; a lot of bad 80s music and cheap pitchers of lite beer. But I mean that in a good way! Foleys is a great spot to meet people of all kinds; it can be a real microcosm in there.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Remington's is about a block away and is very laid back as well. They have a decent beer selection (they have Sam Adams Brick Red which I love) and board games for everyone to play.

You sold me on Remington's, I'll def stop in for a pint or 6 of Boston Brick. I had that at the brewery and couldn't find it in a bar, love that stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The nice thing about the financial district in Boston vs. NYC is in boston its still close to things in Manhattan its far away from most things and its a huge ghost town on a Saturday. In boston just walk 6 blocks west and your in civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston