Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,234 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

(sorry I accidently double posted)

My wife and I have an opportunity to move to Boston for 3yrs from the UK due to a work opportunity. We have only just started looking into Boston and what it has to offer etc. So much to figure out! Our research only started today and we've got around 2 months to decide if we should do it or not. So you might see me posting alot of questions (chuckle). At some point later this month we will take trip out there naturally too.

The good news my wife and I have moved internationally before so have a good idea of what we are letting ourselves into allready. The challenge really lies in finding about Boston as we've never been!

1st up is to consider my children

We have two children to think about... a boy 3 yrs and a girl of 4yrs... can anyone guide me to some good links to research and look into nursery / kindergarden schooling? what the standards are like, areas to consider or avoid, costs etc.

I would love to hear peoples personal view & thoughts so I can get a better perspective on our options

Cheers

Jam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 PM

30 posts, read 129,007 times
We're in a similar situation. Moving from the UK to Boston in six months time. My wife is actually over there this weekend looking at some towns we have shortlisted. Our kids will be 4 and 7 when we move. If all works out, we expect the move to be permanent.

Like you, our first consideration is for our children. However, there are so many factors to consider other than just schooling. You really need to provide more information about your requirements before anyone can help you, and I have found that the guys on here are pretty helpful if you give them enough to work with.

For starters, where will you be working? what do you consider an acceptable commute time? What facilities will you look for in the place you live? Presumably you will be renting a house/apartment, so what are your requirements and how much can you afford to pay per month?

The answers to these questions will help narrow down the options. We have been looking at this for two months already, and we still have a list of five possible towns for our relocation - although one is just starting emerge as a favourite (and that is a town we dismissed six weeks ago).

Good luck.

Andy

Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,243,408 times
I live in Arlington and I highly recommend it. It is a suburb right next to Cambridge: extremely safe and family-oriented, and convenient to Cambridge and Boston. The Brackett Elementary School in Arlingotn has been the top-performing elementary school in the state of MA for the past three years. The middle school and high school are not the best--Brookline and Newton and Wellesley might be better for those levels--but with young kids, Arlington cannot be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston