Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 7,843 times

Advertisements

Moved to Boston forum!

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

I need help choosing a T-servcied (bus or subway) and affordable (max. rent $850 w/a roommate) place to live in.

I'm from Providence, RI. In terms of "neighborhood feel," I'd like to live in an area that approximates the East Side/Fox Point areas of Providence. Also, I've lived in Harvard Square, Porter Square, the South End, and Beacon Hill. Of the four, I enjoyed living in the South End the most.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-14-2011 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
What about Fenway (Jersey St, Peterborough, Park Dr.)? The Fenway has really developed around the Landmark Center area and while there are definitely a lot of students around, plenty of young professionals live there too. Or, try Brookline - my neighborhood, Coolidge Corner, or up the road in Washington Sq. $850 x 2 = $1700. I think you can find a 2 bed with a roommate for that. It only gets dicey in Brookline if you have a car since you can't park overnights on the street.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
A bit vague, eh?
Age? Budget? Interests?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks Shiver! I'll be sure to look at apartments in Washington Square, Coolidge Corner, and Fenway.

Ideally I'd like to live in a diverse and "neighborly" (people acknowledge each other on the street, not as many transient students, etc) neighborhood. Is Brookline diverse and "neighborly?"

To get an even better idea of what I'm looking for: I spend most of my free time in Central Square, the South End, and JP. Any other parts of Boston or nearby towns like these places?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
So why not try to find a place in Central Sq, the South End or JP? Depending on the exact location, none of them would be too horrible a commute via the T. The South End might be trickiest; depends on which bus routes you lived near.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM

@ Brightdoglover: I'm 24. No snarkiness intended... My main interest is living within my means and making the most of living in Boston. If the area is "crunchy granola" and diverse I'm sure I'll be fine.

@Cantabridgienne: I have thought about those three areas. I'd like to learn about others before I make a decision. I like to visit Central and JP but don't think I'd want to live in either place. I always get harassed in Central. (Got followed a couple of times.) I love love love some parts of JP. Other parts seem spooky (ex. Jackson Square ...and I quickly learned why.) Also, I'm very hesitant about moving there because of all the recent shootings.

Most recent one:
Officials: Woman found in Jamaica Plain had been shot in head

And lastly, the rent is just too damn high in the South End.

What are my options???

Last edited by daturanoir; 02-14-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,765 times
Quote:
Is Brookline diverse and "neighborly?"
Define diverse? I live in Coolidge Corner and it has some students, but because it's pricier than neighboring Allston/Brighton, there's some undergrads, but more grad students. Lots of young professionals and young families (Brookline public schools are some of the best) and people who have lived there for 50 years.

But, you probably won't find it funky enough if you're looking for a JP, Central Sq. and South End vibe. Lots of restaurants, shops, some cool bars (Publik House), the Coolidge Theater (arthouse cinema) and independent bookstore (Brookline Booksmith).

Parts of JP are perfectly fine. There have been a few threads about the area so use the search function on here and look up "Jamaica Plain."

I want to say to try somewhere in Cambridge - Inman Sq. (no T) or Porter, but I feel it's going to complicate your commute. Check out mbta.com for bus schedules?

What I like about Fenway or Brookline for you is easy commute - you can walk from Fenway and Coolidge Corner/Wash. Sq. are on the Green C line right into Kenmore. I forgot to mention Brookline Village - it's on the Green D line right into Kenmore and JP is right across the way.

So even if you aren't living right in the heart of your favorite areas, it's convenient enough to get to those places while still living in a safe area close to work.

I was going to suggest Oak Sq. or Brighton Center both in Brighton. No train, but they are on a bus line that goes right into Kenmore, but it's a bit removed and more of a trip to get to places. More affordable though.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Ethnic diversity. Diverse like Central Square (Harvard/MIT students or recent grads from all over the world), South End (neighbors were from Ethiopia, Somalia, Albania), or JP.

Coolidge Corner feels old and Russian. Profession-wise, I'd fit right in. Everyone there seems to be in healthcare.

Thanks for suggesting Inman. Hadn't considered it. It seems "crunchy" haha.

You're right about the commute though...Fenway or Brookline would be much better for me.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Brighton's a good suggestion. Inman's not that horrible of a commute. You can walk to Central for the 47 bus, which gets to near Kenmore in about 15 mins, or take another bus to Central and transfer to the 47 there.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Perhaps you should just consider a different section of Cambridge other than Central--try Porter, or Kendall, or even Davis Square in Somerville; they're all accessable to the Red Line..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston