Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,112 times

Advertisements

Me and my roommate just signed and began to rent a place on Jaques St. right off of Broadway. The other day I was cleaning when I hear a knock on the door. I thought it was the landlord so I opened up and it was a Latino young man who asked who i was and then asked if he could talk to me. I was surprised and a bit nervous so I handled it all diplomatically. He wasnt threatening, maybe a bit sketchy but other than that, no signs of hostility. The only bizarre thing was that he asked me when I moved in and also if I was a cop. I definitely am not a cop and if I was I could afford a better place in a better neighborhood. He saw my chain, which is a ball chain, similar to the badges cops wear and must have assumed so, but all that hangs on there is my Star of David and a Chamse protection amulet. At first he didnt believe me and then I eventually said I was not a cop and there was no reason to believe so. So we talked and I told him where I was from and that I lived there with my roommate. We are both students at Suffolk. He asked if he could use the bathroom. Mind you guys the apartment is entirely empty because there is nothing in there. Eventually he left and after just sitting around thinking about everything I hear another knock. He also introduced me to the neighbors, who he knows. 20 mins had passed and he asked me again if he could talk to me. He asked me "who I work for" and I said nobody and Im just a student. We talked a bit he asked for some water but I didnt have any cups so he was out of luck. He was ready to leave and I said I was leaving too and he helped me take my trash out and then made his way down the street. His name is Roberto and he said he lived down the street. Now my question is, how worried do I have to be. I have no prejudices against ethnic minority, as Jews are minorities too. I grew up in Berlin, Germany also known as Little Istanbul. This is my first apartment and I dont want to have to worry about my safety. I asked the landlord why the previous tenants werent living there anymore and he said he evicted them. I am assuming due to illegal activities or something. It would explain why he was so shocked when the other people werent living there and I was the one answering the door. I didnt notice anything else sketchy about the neighborhood. Its not pretty but its not Dorchester or Roxbury. I also heard there is a presence of the MS 13 in that area which bothers me because I dont want to have to worry about them. I know most gangmembers tend to not worry about everyone else, but I just want to feel safe. What say you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM

123 posts, read 176,783 times
This is an old thread but it came up on a google search. I have gotten into the habit of google searching this area to know what is going on, etc.
You arent far from me. I hope that you are safe after this incident. Please dont open the door though! By the way he was interogating you, wants to check out your place, asking if you were a cop....he sounds like he is in some sort of gang. Even an average drug dealer is not as bold as this i think.
I actually had a scary experience tonight )ut it was from a white man (sex predator).
MS13 has a history here. But supposedly the area is clean from them. I really dont believe this. Maybe gang related crime is down, but I still believe some are present here.
Just be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston