Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,511 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone,

I was recently accepted into Boston University for graduate school. I'm trying to figure out what the best living arrangement would be, given that I've never lived in a large city before. I grew up in seacoast New Hampshire, but I've spent most of my adult life at a university in an ultra-rural area of New Hampshire. Any advice on a relatively safe place to live would be fantastic. I don't mind a reasonable commute, but I don't want to go more than 15 miles away from Boston University, for the purpose of logistics.

My budget is a max of $600 for rent, plus a little bit more for utilities. I currently rent a whole house for that price, but I realize that I'm going to have to downsize to a studio to stay within that price range. I've found some studios for that price in Lynn, but I have no idea what life in Lynn is like. I've read bad things so far on this forum. Its also extremely important to me that I avoid a roommate situation.

Anywho, help or advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,292,882 times
a budget of $600 isn't going to get you much at all, even in a questionable location like Lynn. A quick search on Craigslist shows me tons of misplaced rooms for rent ads, but not even a single, legit ad fr a studio. You may need to bump up that budget to at least $800 (preferably $1K) in order to get a studio in a somewhat decent area, IMHO

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Yah, I'm worried about that. My stipend only allows $700 for rent and utilities, so I don't really have any flexibility. Lynn is questionable for sure, though? Just so I'm aware, what does questionable mean? I grew up in a poor area, so I'm not too concerned about socioeconomic status, I just don't want to live in a gang infested area.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM

55 posts, read 203,027 times
Which graduate program? If it's the medical campus your option is more limited. Nevertheless, $600 is too low a price even when I went to school here 15 years ago. You're gonna need to boost it up to $1000.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM

My grad program is in the school of education. Think $600 is enough if I find a roommate? I don't really want to, only because of bad past experiences, but it seems like I'm going to have to.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,292,882 times
$600 is fine if you go for a room rental

Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM

234 posts, read 626,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiguringStuffOut View Post
My grad program is in the school of education. Think $600 is enough if I find a roommate? I don't really want to, only because of bad past experiences, but it seems like I'm going to have to.
I would say you'd have to look at a roommate situation or other alternatives. I had a friend who rented the "apartment"- basically a finished attic- in a Brookline home that was right next to the BU campus, which was really reasonably priced. Since you're not horribly far I'd venture to BU and take a look at postings you might find on campus and contact the housing resources people.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,852,537 times
Great suggestion by ProudestMonkey about checking with B.U.'s housing office for advice, and to see whether they have any off-campus listings. I second and third that advice. I don't know about B.U. in particular, but many college housing offices can give you good info on what's available off campus, and how to deal with the local housing scene.

I'll add my voice to those suggesting that you're going to need to think in terms of either a rented room or a roommate. With a roommate you still may find your options somewhat limited, but at least you should have some options, while you're going to find little or nothing beyond a rented room on your budget if you don't pool your resources with someone.

I don't know Lynn well at all, so I can't suggest neighborhoods, but word of mouth has it that the quality of the area varies from neighborhood to neighborhood in Lynn. Based on anything I've heard, I would not categorically dismiss Lynn as a possibility, but you would want to get some good info on the neighborhood where any property you might be considering was located, because that city is said to have some bad areas.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM

234 posts, read 626,456 times
I don't remember exactly at what point they have it, but when I was at B.U. they'd have a big off campus housing fair every year sometime in the spring- that might be something to ask about as well when you talk to the housing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston