Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 57,561 times

Advertisements

My dog and I are moving from another state to the Boston area on June 1, and I am seeking neighborhood suggestions.

I am a visual artist, vegan, I love to cook, practice yoga, walk, hang out with my dog, watch movies, read, and live a pretty low-key life. Because I will not be bringing a car, I would like to live in an area that is walkable, accessible to shops, groceries (Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/food coop, and/or farmer's market would be ideal!), coffee shops, library, and is also close to a park/lake/nature. I am open to any areas that will be a short commute (30 minutes max) to my office via the T train.

Because I will be working with a non-profit agency, my monthly rental budget is $950 - $1,100 max.

Also, if you can suggest some great realtors to help me find my pet-friendly place, I would really appreciate that too...thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
You didn't mention where your office is, so thats hard to gauge, but I'm afraid that if you want to live in a "city" neighborhood, walking distance to everything, a short commute AND dog friendly for $1100.00 your gonna have some problems. Your best bet would be would of the outer suburbs and take the commuter rail in, it's going to be more than 30min and more money the than the trolley or subway but finding an apt for $1100 is hard enough adding the dog to the equation makes it even harder. Let us know where your office is so we can help you a little better. As far as the quick commute to downtown, walkable to shops like TJ's, Whole foods, pretty much Allston/Brighton, Brookline would be your places.Keep in Mind A/B is a lot of college kids and Brookline is expensive, forget about lakes and nature for almost anywhere in the city.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Thank you, snatale1, for responding. My office is on Washington street, in the downtown/financial district, and is on the Blue line.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

324 posts, read 1,089,770 times
Central Square/Cambridgeport might work, though you might have to spend a bit more and/or be ok with a studio. FYI, Cambridgeport is the area of Cambridge that is south of Mass Ave from the Central Square T stop. For example, you can google map Perry St. in Cambridge to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I drive through there a lot, and there's a house that has a rooster wandering around the yard, so I'd imagine you might find pet friendly landlords in that area!

You mention your office is in the financial district and on the blue line. But I'm guessing it'd be a short walk to either the red or orange lines at either Park St. or Downtown Crossing? Central Square is on the red line and it'd be a short (10 minute) ride on the T to Park Street.\

edited to add: as for nature, walks/bike rides along Memorial Drive and the Charles river are wonderful!

Last edited by NotAPrincess; 04-10-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: thought of something else!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Thank you, NotAPrincess - I will look into this area!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 41,942 times
Definitely look into JP. It has a lot of what you are looking for and your budget is do-able. You can take the orange line into the city and get off at State St. Look in the Stonybrook T area and the Green St. T area. Both will offer you walk distance to cafes, yoga, food co-op and the new Whole Foods they are building.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,877 times
I know you're looking for something in one of the neighborhoods of Boston. As previously discussed, it's going to be hard with that budget of yours and your dog to boot. I know you'd love Southie, you would love their beach for walking your dog! There's a lot of rentals, but I don't know about pets being welcome there. Another place that you should consider is Winthrop. They have an awesome beach there to walk your dog and I think if you check out the beach area there might be considerations for dogs. You would love this hidden gem of a community to live, it's SO close to Boston you can see the Boston skyline from there! Logan International Airport is only a few minutes away. It's a great place to live by the way I'm not a realtor, just some one that has friends living all over the greater Boston area and THIS community is quite popular for some of my budget minded pals, trust me on that!

I suppose with all of them you just have to talk to the landlords to see how they feel about pets in their apartments.

Like I said, check Winthrop out, either the Beach or the Highlands (up on the hill, they have some beautiful places up thru there).

If you pick Winthrop to live, you'll have to go to my all time favorite little Italian restaurant, it's Cafe Rossetti's along Winthrop Shore Drive!

Winthrop's Chamber has a really good website describing their community to a "T" for visitors & people like you wondering which town to live in, here it is:

Winthrop Chamber of Commerce - Home

Good luck wherever you choose to live and whoever chooses to have you live in their apartment, that'll be the real key now won't it!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM

158 posts, read 545,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindacy View Post
Thank you, snatale1, for responding. My office is on Washington street, in the downtown/financial district, and is on the Blue line.
As others have noted, you are on the Blue, Orange, Red and Green lines. I think you must be referring to the state street stop which is Blue and Orange, but Park Street T is about a five minute walk from State Street T and you can get the Red and Green there. You can also walk from Park Street to Downtown Crossing T via underground tunnel in bad weather. Downtonn crossing is also on Washington Street. You can walk from Government Center to Washignton Street. That area is also ground zero for buses. Lot of options. Dont worry about public transport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston