U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM

7,441 posts, read 11,822,251 times

Advertisements

If your from out of state with no college degree, how hard would it be to find a job in the Boston area? I'm not looking for retail jobs or anything. Just hospitality and fast food restaurants. I was originally going back to FL but FL has no jobs and isn't hiring. I was considering Boston over Chicago (where I've lived and have family) and New Jersey. I have family in Boston too but none that I've ever met. I was just wondering if Boston had a better job market than the other choices for non-graduates?

I guess I should put down my plan and backstory. I'm going to graduate later this year. I'm planning on getting a roommate to slip the rent and high cost of living. I wanted to go up north because of the job availability and public transportation. I have family (that I know) mainly in Brooklyn, New York that I can stay with if I move anywhere up north. But I don't like the hustle and bustle of the big apple. I don't like anything about New York. Chicago and Boston are more my style. But I don't know about the job prospect. I don't know if they are hiring kids fresh out of HS. Need info on that. Thanks!

Last edited by allenk893; 05-07-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 AM

5,817 posts, read 15,252,116 times
I don't know how easy it is to find a job in those fields in Boston, but another issue you need to consider--possibly the more significant issue--is that Boston has a high cost of living. You'd find it difficult, or perhaps impossible, to live in Boston on a job in a fast food place. Whether you could live on a job in the hospitality industry might depend in part on what specific job(s) you have in mind.

People certainly do live in Boston with non-professional and unskilled or semi-skilled employment, but it's a struggle. Unless there is some compelling reason that you really need to be in this area, I'd recommend being very cautious about the idea of moving here just because you think Boston would be a nice place to live, unless you'd be employed in a field that would pay some solid money. At the very least, you would need some really, really careful planning before it would be wise for you to even think about such a move.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 PM

348 posts, read 821,542 times
I have heard that Florida is doing terribly in this economy. MA is better, but, there is a lot of competition (in my opinion) and, as the previous poster commented, it is expensive to live here. Unless you have a chunck of change in the bank to live off of, you will need more than one roommate in order to afford rent, food, and transporation costs. I think if you are looking for a job in the service industry you'll probably find one somewhat easily, but it's the cost of living that you need to consider.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM

2,681 posts, read 4,663,291 times
Panera Bread cafe has opened many stores in the area this year, and often seem to qhave hiring fairs...but I doubt they pay more than $9 hourly.

Check Craigslist, of course, under restaurant/hospitality jobs on the Boston board. If you don't mind working in a pizza parlor or delivering food for Dining In, you may be able to survive but not thrive here. Plus, you'll have your degree soon, but so do so many others here.

At least you won't need the expenses of a car if living here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: