U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,956 times

Advertisements

So I'm from Australia, never visited Boston before, and I'll start attending the Harvard Longwood campus this year. I'm interested in living near that area(Fenway, Milton etc) but am also considering a place in Cambridge close to public transport.

I'm in my early 20s and would like to stay near the club/bar scene.I may be wrong but I heard that most of the best nightlife action takes place in Cambridge, though it may not be a breeze making friends with people u're not attending class with...Also, I suppose Boston must have an exciting bar scene as well...Does anyone have any advice about that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,945 times
As a general rule niglife in Boston blows, period. I've lived in new york and Chicago and it's nothing compared to here. basically both cambridge and boston suck similarly in that regard

Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 PM

4,865 posts, read 13,034,981 times
Harvard sponsors a free shuttle-bus service between its medical and Cambridge campuses, so there's really no reason to live in one city or the other based on accessibility. There's better night life close by the Cambridge campus than near the medical school, where it's mainly bars and some neighborhood-type eating places. In Cambridge there's a wealth of options for dining as well as entertainment - within a mile in either direction there are quite a few nightspots featuring live music (local, as a rule, to be sure) as well as a seemingly endless variety of restaurants from fast-food to top-drawer. From either campus it's a short ride via MBTA to the principal Boston night-life area encompassed by the Back Bay, downtown, and the South End. The campuses are also equidistant from the student-heavy Allston/Brighton section.
There are also venues for live theater in Cambridge, not far from Harvard Square, whereas in Boston the nearest stages are at the Huntington Theater Co on the other side of Northeastern University and the Boston Center for the Arts complex not far beyond there in the South End. For films there's a chain cineplex situated in the heart of Harvard Square as well as the Brattle Theater for repertory flicks, while from the medical campus you wouldn't be far from the big Fenway 'plex.
"Night life" to me generally translates into "movie or concert, and/or dinner and drinks." Elaborate if there's something else you have in mind that would help determine where you set up housekeeping.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM

324 posts, read 1,041,816 times
I was a student at the longwood campus too. The Fenway area is great and I had several friends who lived there and really liked it (on Queensberry st. to be precise). I lived in Coolidge Corner (Brookline) but that might not suit you (it's quieter....I was married and not very much into the nightlife scene, so different situation). It's a very quick walk from the Fenway area to Longwood.

You would probably enjoy living in Cambridge. Especially in the Central Square area, there are lots of bars, restaurants, and places to see live music. And, as goyguy said, there is a free shuttle between Harvard Square and Longwood that is very convenient. Here's the link to the schedule:

MASCO - Parking and Transportation Services

Traveling from Cambridge to longwood via public transport is a good back-up option, but the shuttle will be much faster and easier since it is direct.

A couple of other areas to consider would be Jamaica Plain and Mission Hill. Both are convenient to Longwood and also offer something in the way of nightlife. But, as another poster said, nightlife in Boston is not nearly as "lively" as in some other cities.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 AM

7,227 posts, read 6,625,284 times
It absolutely depends what you think of as good nightlife. The universal complaint (and one I agree with) is that everything closes way too early. Other complaints are a lot more subjective. I for one am never going to wish for more Vegas-style clubs or celebrity DJ joints (that kind of scene makes me want to slit my wrists), but obviously, your mileage varies on what constitutes a good night out.

Cambridge is much better than Boston for live music but not for dance clubs.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,507,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneygirl2 View Post
So I'm from Australia, never visited Boston before, and I'll start attending the Harvard Longwood campus this year. I'm interested in living near that area(Fenway, Milton etc) but am also considering a place in Cambridge close to public transport.

I'm in my early 20s and would like to stay near the club/bar scene.I may be wrong but I heard that most of the best nightlife action takes place in Cambridge, though it may not be a breeze making friends with people u're not attending class with...Also, I suppose Boston must have an exciting bar scene as well...Does anyone have any advice about that?
New York is only 200 miles away! But seriously, Cantabridgienne captures the state of things quite nicely. Bars close at 2:00 AM here and that somewhat puts a damper on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston