Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,225 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be in Ware,Ma next week and will be staying with family,watching their house while they are awhile. For two of those days we would like to go into Boston. So my question is,what is the best way to get to Boston? Neither of us are horrible comfortable with driving in Boston so we were looking into getting on the commuter rail on Worcester,but is that the best option? Someone else suggested going to Newton and getting on the Green Line,would traffic be pretty heavy in Newton? We would be going around 7:30 ish which is probably a bad time.
This is our first time to Boston and I am a little nervous about how to get there as we have been told several different things.

Also if we were to get a Week Link Pass for $15 it is just for Zone 1A,but I cannot figure out what Zone 1A is, would it be advantageous for me to get a Pass if I plan on visiting all of the tourist sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,320 times
The Riverside T Station in Newton is basically right off the exit, so I don't think traffic will be that much of a problem. It's a quick ride if you get on the pike in Palmer, it's less than an hour.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:11 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Just drive in and park at the Boston Common garage. That will give you the most flexibility and you won't waste time on the train, etc.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Whether you parked at Riverside or in the Common garage, leaving at 7:30 you'd encounter some heavy traffic heading into Boston (assuming this was a weekday). I don't know Worcester very well, so I don't know how the parking is at the train station there, but here's some info to start with:

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/r...s/?stopId=237;

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/r...route=WORCSTER.

(The first link above is supposed to go to the page about the Worcester train station, including some info on parking, but it's malfunctioning and going to the wrong page. If you click on "Worcester/Union Station" to the lefthand side of the page in the second link, that should take you to the info on that train station.)

Considering the traffic you'd encounter if leaving at 7:30 on a weekday, you'd be better off getting info on how easy it is to find parking near the Worcester train station, and taking the train from there if the parking situation works, or going to Riverside, but leaving by 6:00, or else waiting until 8:30 or 9:00 to leave Ware.

According to the transit service website, the one-week pass is good for the subway and busses, and commuter rail out to zone 1A. 1A is right in the city, so you'd have to pay an additional fare for the train from Worcester, which is zone 8:

http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/; (broken link)

http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/.

Last edited by ogre; 05-14-2011 at 11:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Leave a little earlier, go west on the pike until you get to I-95N (128) travel up to Rte 2 east and park at the Alewife T station in Cambridge. Jump on the Red Line T and you can start exploring the city in Harvard Square.

Make sure you have a map!

Also, It would be ashame for you to miss places on the North Shore like Marblehead, Salem, Gloucester, and Rockport. Or on the South Shore places like Cohasset, New Bedford, and Plymouth. Massachusetts has one of the most beautiful and historically important 100 mile sections of coastline in the country if not the world.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Driving in is much faster but for reduced stress the train makes sense. From Ware I'd guess about 1 hour along Route 9 into Worcester but ask people locally how much traffic to expect. There aren't that many trains so plan accordingly.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Leave a little earlier, go west on the pike until you get to I-95N (128) travel up to Rte 2 east and park at the Alewife T station in Cambridge. Jump on the Red Line T and you can start exploring the city in Harvard Square.

Make sure you have a map!

Also, It would be ashame for you to miss places on the North Shore like Marblehead, Salem, Gloucester, and Rockport. Or on the South Shore places like Cohasset, New Bedford, and Plymouth. Massachusetts has one of the most beautiful and historically important 100 mile sections of coastline in the country if not the world.
The route suggested here doesn't work for the OP's trip from Ware. You don't go west to rt. 128 from Ware. Ware is out west of Worcester. You have to go EAST almost all the way to Boston before you hit 128. Even if you did take a hop north to rt. 2 at some point on the drive east from Ware, you're not going to escape traffic during rush hours. Rt. 2 inbound toward Boston is rough during the morning commute.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
The route suggested here doesn't work for the OP's trip from Ware. You don't go west to rt. 128 from Ware. Ware is out west of Worcester. You have to go EAST almost all the way to Boston before you hit 128. Even if you did take a hop north to rt. 2 at some point on the drive east from Ware, you're not going to escape traffic during rush hours. Rt. 2 inbound toward Boston is rough during the morning commute.
Thanks. Hopefully the OP realized that I meant East. Apparently you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston