Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 PM

30 posts, read 113,347 times

Advertisements

I would be working close to South Station. Within walking distance of it. House budget would be 20% down up to 100k and then finance the rest. Would love to have to pay no more than $2000/mnth on house payments/taxes. Doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 PM

33 posts, read 101,381 times
Think about West Roxbury or Roslindale on the Needham commuter rail line. (West Roxbury feels less urban.)

Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farans View Post
Boston on $140k salary and family of four?
Many families in the Boston area are able to raise a family of four with a combined income of less than $140K a year. So theoretically, the answer is yes to your question.

A lot depends on how sensible and frugal a lifestyle you live, and some on luck in finding the right house for the right price. You should start by keeping a detailed diary of your family's expenses, then analyzing what expenditures are absolutely necessary to your quality of life and what expenses you can trim.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
I would be working close to South Station. Within walking distance of it. House budget would be 20% down up to 100k and then finance the rest. Would love to have to pay no more than $2000/mnth on house payments/taxes. Doable?
I think it's doable if you look for real estate south or southwest of Boston. You can find a house for $400,00. It may not be as nice as what you could get in the Chicago suburbs, but you could certainly find a solid town with decent schools.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,302 times
Quote:
I would look at Canton - I think that would be a good place. Natick would be second on my list. Both are on commuter rail lines and a 30-45 min ride in. Plus, they have very easy driving access to Boston and other amenities in the area.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM

505 posts, read 765,060 times
I've lived in both the Chicago and Boston areas. Which area of Chicago/suburbs are you coming from? Depending on what area you are used to, you may not find Boston to be that much more expensive.

Since you are willing to consider up to an hour train ride, you will definitely be able to find houses in your price range. Are you considering townhouses or just single family houses? If you are looking at townhouses you will have more options closer to the city or possibly be able to get something newer/nicer than a single family for the same price.

With $100k down on a $400k house, it's going to be tough to get your mortgage, taxes and insurance below $2000/mo although you may get close. It can be a challenge to find a decent rental house for under $2000 around Boston.

On $140k you should be able to spend more than that if you choose, especially with only one car. You might look at places priced a little higher just to get a feel of what your options are.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
100k down, 300k mortgage - 30 yr. fixed, @4.5% and 6k a year in property taxes totals to roughly $2020/month

So, basically it looks like you are staring at a housing price-range of around 400k depending upon interest rates and specific property taxes.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 57,597 times
Have you looked at zillow to see what the house prices are like? They almost always list the past year's property taxes too so you know roughly what it would be in the future. I suggest looking at the mbta web site to see what towns the commuter rail stops in and how long the commute is, then search zillow for the right size house and lot you want and see what the prices are.

Btw, I saw Natick mentioned a couple of times here. Just be advised the place is like one giant and ridiculous shopping plaza. There are multiple malls all right near each other as well as other shopping complexes mixed in. If you're going to live in Natick, make sure you're away from all that craziness.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 AM

234 posts, read 628,795 times
Quote:
Completely doable. Your situation is somewhat similar to ours. I would take a look at the south shore and commuting in on the red line if you're working at south station. Look at Milton, Quincy, Weymouth, Braintree, Scituate even, though it is farther out, the commuter rail is there now. A friend of mine just bought a gorgeous house for her family of four at just over $400k. My husband takes the bus to the red line. He used to work near south station but even now that he doesn't work directly off of the red line it's not a bad commute. And there's also the commuter rail from the south shore which comes in to south station.

Many of the posts on this website steer people toward the suburbs that are the "best of the best", but not everyone can afford Newton, Brookline and the like. There are many nice towns that are a manageable commute from outside of the city that are more affordable, family focused and have decent schools, so don't let other posters make you feel like sending your kids to Braintree schools vs. Newton is horrible- the Braintree schools are good schools- MA schools are some of the best in the country. And this is coming from a private school teacher.

Good luck with your search. I have no doubt that you will find something that works for you.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
I strongly suggest you checking out all the areas mentioned in this thread in person, BUT... renting first for at least a year. All of these places will have houses available to rent. Why rush into a home purchase? If you find that you like another area better, it will not be easy to quickly sell the first home in order to switch locations. It's still more of a buyers market than a sellers in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston