Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

Just though I would clear the air, many sullys as I call them were delighted the Celtics lost in round 2 because their bruins got the center stage (forgetting Boston will take the Sox 6 of 7 days, with the 7th day being the Pats and the 8th being the Celtics).

Just thought I would remind there are so many annoying bandwagoners to go with utterly classless sullys who have such an inferiority complex about the Celtics...I haven't forgotten this:

1) Game 3 of the 2008 1st round v Montreal, 60% of the fans were Habs fans because Boston did not care....
2) Game 3 and 4 of the 2003 1st round v NJ...4000 empty seats for a playoff game, because Boston did not care....
3) 2005/2006/2007....14,000 nightly, if that, with 50% being Rangers/Habs/Leafs fans....because Boston did not care.....

I will never forget this next time some pinhead like Morris Wanchuk tells me Boston is a great, loyal hockeytown.
Great loyal hockeytowns are NY where a Ranger team missing the playoffs 7 straight years still gets 18K or more a night.

Remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Bump for Morris Wanchuk

Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
I also remember the years right before Garnett & Allen came to Boston and the Celtics were practically giving tickets away. You could sit like 20 rows from the court for about $20 a ticket. The Harp across the street was dead during game days and nobody cared. The celtics aren't immune either to having bandwagon fans when they are doing well.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Just though I would clear the air, many sullys as I call them were delighted the Celtics lost in round 2 because their bruins got the center stage (forgetting Boston will take the Sox 6 of 7 days, with the 7th day being the Pats and the 8th being the Celtics).

Just thought I would remind there are so many annoying bandwagoners to go with utterly classless sullys who have such an inferiority complex about the Celtics...I haven't forgotten this:

1) Game 3 of the 2008 1st round v Montreal, 60% of the fans were Habs fans because Boston did not care....
2) Game 3 and 4 of the 2003 1st round v NJ...4000 empty seats for a playoff game, because Boston did not care....
3) 2005/2006/2007....14,000 nightly, if that, with 50% being Rangers/Habs/Leafs fans....because Boston did not care.....

I will never forget this next time some pinhead like Morris Wanchuk tells me Boston is a great, loyal hockeytown.
Great loyal hockeytowns are NY where a Ranger team missing the playoffs 7 straight years still gets 18K or more a night.

Remember that.
OK, dude. We had this conversation last year. Go troll somewhere else.

But remember that a great hockey town and a great Bruins town are not the same thing. The Boston area's a college and youth hockey mecca. Ever heard of Hockey East? The 1980 Olympic team? I lived in and around NYC for YEARS and there's no comparison. People here build rinks in the yard and live and breathe hockey. People there...go to a Ranger game.

Plenty of NHL players from the Boston area. Where do you think Tony Amonte's from? Chris Nilan? Brian Boyle? Chris Drury played at BU, Brian Leetch at BC. Brian Leetch!

And NYC metro has 15 million people, Boston has under 3.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 AM

158 posts, read 545,601 times
People purposely revolted over Jacobs. There were die-hards fans who refused to support the $$$$$ ownership, which in a way makes them better fans. Any ignorant, tool fan can show up regardless of how much they are getting ripped off. The silent protest of true Boston hockey fans was real.

And, yes, sucking does matter. True fans wont permanently bolt, but long term fans will question. I wonder what Islander and Ranger ticket sales were all year? Sold out every game at ownership's optimal prices, right? For every game. Just like the Detoit Lions over the last ten years, and the Sixers over the last ten years. Never a single seat open....

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM

Boston is an overrated, bandwagon, fickle hockeytown.
Hockey is a distant fourth and the Bruins fans ARE very disloyal and fairweather.

Proof?
1) After Orr was let go in the 70s, the Bruins fell off in popularity greatly...playoff games were not sold out...until Don Cherry...then once he left..
2) Again they could not draw until Bourque and Neely, once they left, once more NOBODY cared...
3) 2003 Opening night, a season which Boston finished 1 in the conference...they had 13K
4) 2003 playoffs, did not sell out the playoff games and had 4K empty seats at game 4
5) 2007, had fewer season TH than Atlanta!!!

Bottom line, Bruins fans are VERY fairweather and like to act like they are this great hockeytown when in actuality, they are EXTREMELY fickle and fairweather and do not have the right to call themselves a top market.

Comparison?

NY...Rangers miss playoffs 98-2004, but average 18k per game, in other words, while the Bruins won 2 division titles from 98-2004 (and the Rangers won only 4 in their history), the Bruins had more empty seats at playoff games and opening night than the Rangers EVER did.
You guys are a shell of a hockeytown compared to NY.
Yes, NY has more people, but they also have THREE NHL teams and 9 pro teams and many other entertainment options.
PLUS, well NY is a melting pot, while Boston is very...eh...white..much more slanted demo wise to liking hockey...and yet basically a medicore Ranger team is 10X more supported than a good Bruins team...as 98-2004 proved.

You have a long history, mainly of white washing your fickle nature and embellishing so called great fan.
It is too bad the rest of the NHL and media continues to not call you out for your poor support:
-Post Orr
-Post Cherry
-93-2008

TRUE hockeytowns support their team irregardless, like NY did.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
TRUE hockeytowns support their team irregardless, like NY did.
Is this your annual go-off-on-the-Boston-forum-about-the-New-York-Rangers (a team about which none of us care) week? Or does it just stink that your crappy team still has only four division titles in its history or whatever?

"Irregardless" is not even a word.

Bye.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
33.3 local rating last night

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM

1) Celtics rated higher last year
2) Celtics had more Red Sox games to compete with to
3) Celtics started at 9 PM, Bruins 8 PM, hurt ratings

Boston is a fairweather hockeytown, did you go the playoffs in 2003 or where you too busy to be at games in 2006, that is the Boston I always will recall.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
1) Celtics rated higher last year
2) Celtics had more Red Sox games to compete with to
3) Celtics started at 9 PM, Bruins 8 PM, hurt ratings

Boston is a fairweather hockeytown, did you go the playoffs in 2003 or where you too busy to be at games in 2006, that is the Boston I always will recall.
How can you compare Celtics vs Lakers to Bruins vs Canucks?? That's ridiculous. And yes, personally I'd rather be getting ready for a C's vs Mavs game 7 tonight, but I'm going to enjoy this none the less. We all are. This will be Boston's 7th championship in 10 years. How many other cities can say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: