Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,152 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone...

Well, I'm planning on moving to Boston by the Fall of 2008. I'm trying to get as much research and planning done as early as possible so I'm not too stressed out last minute.

I'm 23, just graduated from CSU Chico in California, and I'm going to be working on a second bachelor's degree in Int'l Relations as soon as a school accepts me
So my options are BC, Amherst, Northeastern, and Stonehill...wish me luck!

Anyways, I used to live in Shirley Mass when I was little (i'm an army brat) and I havn't been back in years, so I'm looking for some advice on where the best areas are to find an affordable studio ($1200/mo max), relax in a cafe, grab a beer, and mostly meet new people.
I'm moving on my own, and I find myself to be pretty outgoing and adventurous, so I love meeting new people, I just need a good place to get started.

Also, how hard is it to pick up on using the "T"??

Any advice, fun suggestions, or thoughtful insights would really be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Allston or Brighton might be for you; check out craigs list. All the Best.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Central Sq/Cambridge area might be ok, especially if you're planning on using the T. Allston and Brighton are kind of student ghettos, I dunno if I'd live there if I was 23ish. If you're taking the T, living there won't be an option unless you end up going to BU, or bike to school or something.

Though, I happen to be of the mindset that the Cambridge area has cooler bars/coffeeshops than Boston.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM

142 posts, read 660,680 times
Good advice given for BC & Northeastern lodging.

Stonehill is in Easton, a good hike from BC & Northeastern. The T does not go that far out of town. In comparision, you may feel isolated.
Amherst is in the middle of an area with five colleges. The main UMass campus is next door, and Smith, Mount Holyoke & Hampshire are close by. If you like the college town scene, you'll be happy there.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 AM

69 posts, read 292,278 times
Alot will depend on where you get accepted to school, Amherst and Boston are two different animals. The $1200 budget for a studio is realistic for Boston, you can find studios for $900-$1200 and possibly even a 1 bed. If you go to BU, look into renting in Brookline or in the Back Bay/Fenway area.
In Amherst there are plenty of off campus housing, lots of apartment complexes that graduate students rent. When I was there,(UMASS) there was also a separate graduate student dorm, not sure if they still have that.
Rentals in Boston usually run from Sept-August or June-May, with some exceptions. Apartment complexes will have more available throughout the year as they do revolving or scattered leases. Smaller landlords tend to run on the above cycles I said. It is possible though to get an apartment anytime of year, the choices just may not be many. Best time to look for an apartment is in the late Spring or Summer. Best apartments get rented early. Rental market in Boston appears to be tightening- that is there is more demand for the supply.
The T is very easy to use. It is color coded so you have a green, blue, red and orange line and there are maps to show you the stops they make. Hope that answers your questions. Alot of your plans though will be determined by which school you will end up in.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 AM

69 posts, read 292,278 times
sorry on a closer look I saw you said BC and not Bu. If you go to BC look around the Cleveland Circle area which runs between Beacon Street and Commonwealth Ave. It is in Brighton. You could still rent in Brookline but it would be on the upper end of Beacon Street, Washington Square area and past that. The T runs up Beacon and Commonwealth Ave. and I believe past BC. It would be the green line. Nix the central square, cambridge suggestion that the op mentioned. It would not be convenient for you and it is a little sketchy. Upper Comm Ave area is fine also.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 34,137 times
Stay in California...I just moved back to the midwest from Boston and I had a horrible experience. Very expensive and the salaries don't keep up with the cost of living. Very rude people and terrible drivers. I thought things would get better so I stuck it out for three years, but they didn't, so I moved back home.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeo2626 View Post
Stay in California...I just moved back to the midwest from Boston and I had a horrible experience. Very expensive and the salaries don't keep up with the cost of living. Very rude people and terrible drivers. I thought things would get better so I stuck it out for three years, but they didn't, so I moved back home.
Have you lived in California? Are you saying it is less expensive to live in CA? Please check housing prices!!

He/she is coming to school here. Willing to pay $1200 for a studio apartment and probably another $30K for tuition. It may be expensive to you... but not to him or her. If Harvard wants to double its tuition, I'm sure they will have just as many applicants.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM

80 posts, read 477,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeo2626 View Post
I have had a very different experience. I moved here three years ago from the South, have found people to be quick and sometimes sarcastic, but not rude. Also, the cost of living is higher, but so is the median income. You do have to make adjustments, like maybe living in a smaller house or apartment than many other parts of the country, but the IMO the payoff is great in terms of overall quality of life (parks, culture, quality of education, public transit, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston