Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM

157 posts, read 228,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
Yelp is a helpful tool I think, but you really have to be cautious with how you use it.
Don't forget they just came clean with giving businesses the option to pay and doctor their reviews and rating. I hope the review culture migrates to a more legitimate service like Urban Spoon.

As far as the weather argument goes, I've been on this forum a few months, and it seems people either learn to or inherently know how to content with the snow. I can see myself getting used to it, but then again, I've never lived been in New England during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanBoston View Post
So, so true. What is hilarious is that so many local chefs and foodies are in complete denial about this.

Also I would wager that there are more Asian restaurants in the 617 area code then there are in any three big city Chinatowns combined. I have nothing against Asian food but it's really getting silly lately. It really seems that everytime a restaurant closes some variation on Asian replaces it. Enough is enough...
Asian food is the only food done right in Boston. Everything else tastes like a Denny's Special doctored with condiments from whole foods.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
I'm being transferred to Boston by my company (with family so 4 of us) - can you please give me the low down and do's/don'ts and what I should look for, anything especially schools, living, commutes and salary expectations, thanks

Old 08-06-2015, 05:58 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
We'd need to know exactly where you'd be working (not just "Boston") because traffic is terrible. I doubt you'd want to live in the city, anyway. Not with kids.

Metro Boston is very expensive compared with other areas of the country. What you need to live here depends on what your expectations are. We'd need to know your budget.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybc View Post
I'm being transferred to Boston by my company (with family so 4 of us) - can you please give me the low down and do's/don'ts and what I should look for, anything especially schools, living, commutes and salary expectations, thanks
Make a new thread with little more info. People will help you.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
The food scene in Boston is actually considered to be pretty pedestrian. There are some exceptions obviouisly to this.

One positive from a negative... The weather obviously sucks (I hate the winter), but at least it does afford the natives the ability to take advantage of near by new england ski and other snow sports just a short drive away.

The Ocean is also a huge asset to Massachusetts and Boston.

Another positive is living close to a major airport hub to Europe, and being so close to western europe in comparison to other parts of teh country.

Another major positive is the extremly solid economy and job market in the region. Obviouisly the past few years have been tough for everyone, but I sure am glad I am living in Massachusetts and not say... Wisconsin or some other woebegotten state with an unemployment rate in the 10s.

HealthCare: Boston is home to the best hospitals in teh WORLD, much less country.

Add those to your list!
Skiing and traveling to Europe? Jesus who has the money for that, trying to pay rent in Greater Boston? Then someone will bring up the hiking or the the history. Honestly for me history really only matters on the neighborhood/town level not for a whole region really. Hiking and other daytime leisure activities, most people really dont have time for unless its sunday, and then being in the rat race of Boston by then you just wanna relax. Boston is good if you want to advance and further your self career wis eor academically, or are well off looking to send your kids to a good school. Its obviously not a good city for your average joe shmoe. ...Its also a good city to be in if your poor.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,193 times
No actually the music scene is terrible unless you're from French Lick Indiana or something then it might seem really awesome...the food is terrible...the people are terrible....the weather is terrible except for June to August....the sports teams are good which means the fans are terrible...you have to practically jump through a taxi cab's windshield for it to take you home late nights and i only need a cab because the subway closes at 12:30 WTF?..and they can't figure out how to make good pizza ( they think ketchup is acceptable for sauce). Dunkin donuts is from NE and has good coffee but they're everywhere now...do you like bros? Do you like bros with NE accents? If so then boston is right up your alley bro!

I lived in Boston for 4 years and regret it except I met my now wife there....I guess Im a little pissed that I spent 4 years in Boston...feels like a waste but I did learn what I don't like...

People, just move to NYC instead.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OinkoBoingo View Post
No actually the music scene is terrible unless you're from French Lick Indiana or something then it might seem really awesome...the food is terrible...the people are terrible....the weather is terrible except for June to August....the sports teams are good which means the fans are terrible...you have to practically jump through a taxi cab's windshield for it to take you home late nights and i only need a cab because the subway closes at 12:30 WTF?..and they can't figure out how to make good pizza ( they think ketchup is acceptable for sauce). Dunkin donuts is from NE and has good coffee but they're everywhere now...do you like bros? Do you like bros with NE accents? If so then boston is right up your alley bro!

I lived in Boston for 4 years and regret it except I met my now wife there....I guess Im a little pissed that I spent 4 years in Boston...feels like a waste but I did learn what I don't like...

People, just move to NYC instead.
I don't disagree that Boston isn't the greatest with respect to dining or weather. That said, I don't think life is much better here in NYC than in Boston. I just made the Cambridge-to-NYC move two months ago. Taxes, while high in Mass, are noticeably higher here in NYS, especially NYC. The COL is also higher. NYC does have better dining (though it's way overprices and not always as good as one might think). That said, the subway system here is far better than the T, so a car is not needed at all. In Boston, I felt it was possible to live without a car, but not terribly convenient as the T is limited and most of the Boston area is outside of Boston.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,130 times
Default Pro and Cons of Living in Boston

Pro s

1. Lack of diversity, if that is what suits you.

2. The Red Sox and the Pats if they are your teams.

3. Harvard, if you actually got in.

4. Small town atmosphere.

5. Close to Salem Massachusetts, fun at Halloween

Con s

1. Homogeneous locals
2. Sports - only if you support the local team
3. Culture - limited, compared to other cities.
4. Terrible coffee
5. Terrible grocery stores
6. Pedestrian restaurant scene
7. BAD Italian food, e.g.. meatballs as big as baseballs literally

Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,130 times
I wouldn't say the ocean is a big asset to the Boston - its the Atlantic, and it is gray, cold and dirty.
The ocean is an ASSET to San Francisco and San Diego. Blue, warm and beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston