Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

43 posts, read 214,313 times

Advertisements

Pros:
-lots of museums, cultural events, artsy things to do if you are into it. Tons of really cool events that happen, esp during the Summer months!
-fantastic public transportation. I know we all complain about it, but the MBTA is great compared to the transit in many states. Once you learn your way around, you can get around fairly easily.
-FANTASTIC food- I've never been anywhere with a better restaurant scene. When I move myself in a few months, I'll probably miss the food the most. I'd probably have to say the food here is my number one "pro"
-very diverse (if you live in the right areas of town)
-great schools/higher education opportunities
-very liberal....if you're a liberal person and open-minded, you will love our attitude of acceptance towards square pegs. :-)
-our sports teams ROCK and if you are passionate about pro-sports, there's no better place to live than Boston. We are so into it to the point where my friends who don't live in a city like Boston or NY think we are crazy

Cons:
-The biggie: OUTRAGEOUS cost of living. Next to impossible to find an affordable place to live...you need to either have a really decent paying job, live with roommates, or live in less than desirable areas to afford city living. everything here is way overpriced- gas, going out, etc. 7.00 for a draft beer in a downtown bar? Ridiculous.
-the next biggie: awful climate. Winters that never end. Hot and humid summers. Mays and Junes where all it does is rain. Unless you are the type of person who does not enjoy the beach and sunshine, you will probably hate it here (I do)
-Unfriendly people. Difficult to make new friends. I'm a very friendly, down to earth person and most people are intimidated or annoyed by that. If you are the type of person who talks to your local grocery clerk, then you will probably be turned off by the Boston attitude.
-attitude that boston is the "end all be all" of the world. I was born and raised here, have been back and forth since graduating college. For some reason, there seems to be this heir among people thinking that there is not a world outside of Boston...and if you're not from here, they are better than you.
-nightlife scene: if you are a real partier (Think South Beach Miami), you will be bored here. Clubs all close at 2am at the latest. Drinks are way overpriced (unless you are hanging out in dive bars on the outskirts of town)

Just my opinion.....for me, the high cost of living combined with the fact that I *HATE* bad weather is driving me out. But lots of people love it here. I guess it's just not for everyone! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM

157 posts, read 570,370 times
The food scene in Boston is actually considered to be pretty pedestrian. There are some exceptions obviouisly to this.

One positive from a negative... The weather obviously sucks (I hate the winter), but at least it does afford the natives the ability to take advantage of near by new england ski and other snow sports just a short drive away.

The Ocean is also a huge asset to Massachusetts and Boston.

Another positive is living close to a major airport hub to Europe, and being so close to western europe in comparison to other parts of teh country.

Another major positive is the extremly solid economy and job market in the region. Obviouisly the past few years have been tough for everyone, but I sure am glad I am living in Massachusetts and not say... Wisconsin or some other woebegotten state with an unemployment rate in the 10s.

HealthCare: Boston is home to the best hospitals in teh WORLD, much less country.

Add those to your list!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM

83 posts, read 343,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
The food scene in Boston is actually considered to be pretty pedestrian. There are some exceptions obviouisly to this.
So, so true. What is hilarious is that so many local chefs and foodies are in complete denial about this.

Also I would wager that there are more Asian restaurants in the 617 area code then there are in any three big city Chinatowns combined. I have nothing against Asian food but it's really getting silly lately. It really seems that everytime a restaurant closes some variation on Asian replaces it. Enough is enough...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM

65 posts, read 180,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
Pros:
-lots of museums, cultural events, artsy things to do if you are into it. Tons of really cool events that happen, esp during the Summer months!
-fantastic public transportation. I know we all complain about it, but the MBTA is great compared to the transit in many states. Once you learn your way around, you can get around fairly easily.
-FANTASTIC food- I've never been anywhere with a better restaurant scene. When I move myself in a few months, I'll probably miss the food the most. I'd probably have to say the food here is my number one "pro"
-very diverse (if you live in the right areas of town)
-great schools/higher education opportunities
-very liberal....if you're a liberal person and open-minded, you will love our attitude of acceptance towards square pegs. :-)
-our sports teams ROCK and if you are passionate about pro-sports, there's no better place to live than Boston. We are so into it to the point where my friends who don't live in a city like Boston or NY think we are crazy

Cons:
-The biggie: OUTRAGEOUS cost of living. Next to impossible to find an affordable place to live...you need to either have a really decent paying job, live with roommates, or live in less than desirable areas to afford city living. everything here is way overpriced- gas, going out, etc. 7.00 for a draft beer in a downtown bar? Ridiculous.
-the next biggie: awful climate. Winters that never end. Hot and humid summers. Mays and Junes where all it does is rain. Unless you are the type of person who does not enjoy the beach and sunshine, you will probably hate it here (I do)
-Unfriendly people. Difficult to make new friends. I'm a very friendly, down to earth person and most people are intimidated or annoyed by that. If you are the type of person who talks to your local grocery clerk, then you will probably be turned off by the Boston attitude.
-attitude that boston is the "end all be all" of the world. I was born and raised here, have been back and forth since graduating college. For some reason, there seems to be this heir among people thinking that there is not a world outside of Boston...and if you're not from here, they are better than you.
-nightlife scene: if you are a real partier (Think South Beach Miami), you will be bored here. Clubs all close at 2am at the latest. Drinks are way overpriced (unless you are hanging out in dive bars on the outskirts of town)

Just my opinion.....for me, the high cost of living combined with the fact that I *HATE* bad weather is driving me out. But lots of people love it here. I guess it's just not for everyone! :-)
Great post, so where did you end up moving to?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post
Not entirely true. Rise stays open until 6 or 7, and books major talent weekly. Also, there's always a loft party somewhere (Allston, Chinatown or Charlestown). I've seen both local and national DJs at there parties, and they always go 'til day break.

As far as bars go, every neighborhood has it's afterhours watering hole. Some even have live music.

I don't think anyone will argue Boston is a true 24hr city, but it dosen't exactly sleep at 2am either. You just have to know who to ask.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM

132 posts, read 495,752 times
Very good synopsis, but I agree with everyone that food here isn't great. It depends on your tastebuds however. Most food is geared towards the Irish / UK population. Shepard's Pie, Fish & Chips, Corned Beef are huge here.

Career oppurtunities & salaries are really great here if you can avoid the extreme office politics.

Also, be prepared to sit in a lot of bumper to bumper traffic if you do drive.

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...t-country.html

Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
gilwood, I almost want to take you by the hand and show you some good places to eat, or at least direct you to Yelp or Chowhound--you mentioned hitting some real clunkers before. Do you live in the city? How did you end up at awful tourist traps like the Barking Crab? My SO is from Ireland and I can't remember the last time he had a crazing for shephard's pie corned beef.

Pros:

-Depending where you work, you don't need a car, either very much or at all. I haven't had one on a few years and get around just fine with the T, cabs and Zipcar. Oh, and walking! It amazes me how people just don't. walk. in a lot of other places. I mentioned to some visiting relatives once that a restaurant was about a 15 minute walk away and they looked at me like I had lost my mind.

-A good live music scene. No, it's not Austin. But you can still see local bands of all sorts of genres every night of the week.

A good craft cocktail scene. I tried ordering a Negroni in Miami a few weeks ago. Yeah, not so much.

It's a pretty city. Not all of it, but some of it is really lovely. It's not a city masquerading as a strip mall.

There's a good indie, DIY, local spirit, particularly across the river.

Cons:

-Cost of living is high. Honestly though, I've lived in a few different cities, both in the US and in Europe, and they were all high so I'm immune to this. Boston is actually one of the least expensive places I've lived. However, a higher cost of living does create a lot of social problems and a lack of affordable housing.

-Things close way too early.

-The Us against Them attitude is almost comical at this point. "Them" being anyone who wasn't born here or in some cases, aren't white. People have a very singular view of what a "local" is (and it's usually something they define by looking in the mirror), and it's totally innacurate. Or at least, only one small part of the pie.

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 06-24-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM

132 posts, read 495,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
gilwood, I almost want to take you by the hand and show you some good places to eat.
Any recommendations on places & specific menu items? I did have lunch at La Luna cafe on Mass ave the other day and it was pretty good! Then I went again, but got something else and it was terrible. It seems to be very hit or miss on restaurants and exactly what to order there.

Edit: I haven't been eating out much lately since I'm pretty afraid to try new things since I've been burned so much lately. A recommendation might get me back in the groove again!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Well, hard to say since I don't know how much you like to spend or what kind of food you like or what area you are in. And obviously, people have different tastes. I mean SOMEONE is keeping the Cheesecake Factory in business and it sure as hell ain't me. But here's a quick list from my perspective.

1. Highland Kitchen in Somerville--great place for snack, meal or for just drinks. Friendly crowd/knowlegable bartenders. I like their fish specials best and their apps/sandwiches, like the smoked bluefish cakes and Cuban reuban. (entrees are okay, but I think they shine in the former categories). Don't like their pulled pork; too much vinegar. Decent beer selection, good cocktails (both on the menu and off--the bartenders know their stuff).

2. Gran Gusto in North Cambridge. Good, traditional Neopolitan pizza. I'm from NYC. It's not New York pizza. But it's still good. Don't get too much on it; thin crusts can handle an abundance of toppings.

3. Craigie on Main (expensive, but they have a bar menu, if you can squeeze in) in Central Square. Awesome burger. Love the pig's tails at the bar too. Excellent cocktail program.

4. Coppa in the South End. Italian food but more in the style of Mario Batali than someone's meatball-making Italian-American grandmother. They make their charcuterie in-house. Lots of nose-to-tail cooking here like pig's ear terrine and brain ravioli. Also some awesome pastas and pizza

5. Peach Farm in Chinatown. No-frills, no ambience just fresh Cantonese-style seafood. I like the ginger oysters and clams in black bean sauce .

6. Casa Portugal on Cambridge Street in East Cambridge: Homestyle Portuguese food. I almost always go for any of the pork-and-clam dishes, classic Portuguese flavors.

7. Chacarero in Downtown Crossing. They make it easy; there's only three things to order: the Chiliean sandwich with chicken, or beef, or both. I usually go for chicken.

8 . Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore Square. It's not cheap but the food is wonderful and worth it. The service is excellent and you can make a meal out of a few apps and not break the bank.Beautiful space, too.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
^ Keeping in mind I'm no foodie, I do like Peach Farm. I stop in for lunch quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston