Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM

43 posts, read 123,114 times

Advertisements

Well you're right in that Boston will definitely be more Asperger's friendly. What's the position you're looking at in Boston, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM

758 posts, read 590,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenjudkins View Post
Well you're right in that Boston will definitely be more Asperger's friendly. What's the position you're looking at in Boston, if you don't mind me asking?
There are two. One is habitat for humanity. It's a community building job, and the other is environmental. I'm assuming I won't be doing either of these jobs alone. Like I said before, I don't mind getting wet or dirty, nor does cold weather bother me. What does get to me is nasty people and whatnot. I mean New Englanders with that East Coast superiority complex and street urchins with no respect for anything. I grew up around gangs in Houston, and I have no desire to relive that. One would think the locals would be grateful that we're helping to improve their quality of life.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:47 PM

43 posts, read 123,114 times
Well, I don't necessarily think New Englanders are necessarily more likely to be outwardly rude. I see it as more people who are less likely to reach out and be friendly and more likely to become defensive if they become even the slightest bit uncomfortable. I have a feeling that for the most part you will be spending time with fellow AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps at it's core (no pun intended) is going to have people who are kind, friendly, and sensitive to your Asperger's.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
Like I said before, I don't mind getting wet or dirty, nor does cold weather bother me. What does get to me is nasty people and whatnot.
Having lived in both New England and the South I'll give you my two cents on hospitality in both areas and hope you keep it in mind. There are a lot of places in this country where people are more apt to strike up conversation in line at the grocery store, will smile and say hi as they pass you on the street, will throw around endearing nicknames like "sugar" and "honey" and mind their "pleases", "thank you's" and "yes, ma'am's" more than New Englanders do, but if I were to get a flat tire, be lost, need help moving or sitting alone at a bar there is ABSOLUTELY no place I would rather be than Boston. People may not be outwardly friendly and perky, but they are genuine, helpful and sincere. If you do end up here I hope you keep this in mind.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenjudkins View Post
I was just accepted into an AmeriCorps program in Minneapolis and will share this with you, as someone who has spent the last few years living in Boston.

Make sure you budget well. AmeriCorps pays very, very little and Boston is an expensive area. Expect to be paying at least $500 a month in rent (or $600 if you want to make sure the area you're living in is safe) with utilities sometimes being expensive in the winter. Living barebones like anyone has to in AmeriCorps, I'd say consider $200 going towards food and $60 for a monthly T pass. Then consider your other expenses. It can absolutely be done, but it won't be easy. But when I sought AmeriCorps programs out I immediately crossed NYC, DC, SF, Chicago, LA and Boston off my list because they are pretty expensive.

Other than that... Boston is awesome. It might not be the easiest place to make friends and no, New Englanders aren't as friendly as people from other parts of the country, but it isn't a HUGE deal and friends can still be made. And of course the area is so rockin' you will never be at a loss of things to do.

Oh and one more thing... Chelsea isn't easily accessible from the city. If you were relying on public transportation it would be challenging to find a place to live that made it both easy to get to your position and easy to get to Boston.
There is some good info in the post quoted here, but one point that needs to be made is that 500-600 sounds very low for rent in Boston. You'd almost certainly have to have roommates to pay that low a rent, unless, maybe, just maybe, you might find a rented room in someone's house for that price. You'd probably have to double or triple that 500 number for even a basic 1br. apartment if you lived alone. That's something to keep in mind when you think about what kind of living arrangements you'd want to have, and what they would cost, as you make plans and try to determine whether you could afford an area.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
At the risk of offending you, you seem very picky about where you'd like best to carry out this mission:

The AmeriCorps Pledge

I will get things done for America - to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy, I will take action.

Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity, I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member, and I will get things done.

Are you sure you're making the right career decision? It seems to me that "creepy" places like Baltimore and "hostile" places like Philadelphia are precisely the kinds of places that need people from an organization like Americorps.

The way you're positioning yourself, it's kind of like a Peace Corps person insisting on being placed in Rome, Paris or London, if you get my drift. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your intention.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
At the risk of offending you, you seem very picky about where you'd like best to carry out this mission:

The AmeriCorps Pledge

I will get things done for America - to make our people safer, smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy, I will take action.

Faced with conflict, I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity, I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member, and I will get things done.

Are you sure you're making the right career decision? It seems to me that "creepy" places like Baltimore and "hostile" places like Philadelphia are precisely the kinds of places that need people from an organization like Americorps.

The way you're positioning yourself, it's kind of like a Peace Corps person insisting on being placed in Rome, Paris or London, if you get my drift. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your intention.
I said in my initial statement that I didn't expect to be sent to Beverly Hills and some affluent area. The Peace Corps sends people to areas that are impoverished, but they don't send them to red zones where their safety will be jeopardized. If that's too much for you to swallow, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to a red zone, though.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
I suppose everyone's view of safe is different.

Peace Corps Volunteers Speak Out About Rape, Violence

I think Boston is a great place to live and I think if you come here with an open mind you have a great chance of enjoying it as well. That being said, it seems a bit like you are looking for a reason not to come here so why not go someplace else? You've been to a bunch of places on the east coast and are admittedly not a fan. It's a big country, why not try something entirely different?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
I said in my initial statement that I didn't expect to be sent to Beverly Hills and some affluent area. The Peace Corps sends people to areas that are impoverished, but they don't send them to red zones where their safety will be jeopardized. If that's too much for you to swallow, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to a red zone, though.
Sorry; my point still stands. Stable, affluent places don't need Americorps. With any luck, someone from the Boston Office is reading this.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Sorry; my point still stands. Stable, affluent places don't need Americorps. With any luck, someone from the Boston Office is reading this.

So what are you saying? I don't deserve to work in Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston