Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 AM

277 posts, read 883,867 times

Advertisements

If you have been to San Francisco or lived there, please share why you think the cities are similar or dissimilar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
I've lived in both cities:

Similarities:

1. Both small and walkable
2. Both liberal (SF in a different way than Boston)
3. Both have questionable politics when it comes to leadership/those in power
4. Highly educated population
5. Outrageously expensive to live
6. Relatively clean
7. Good public transit
8. Relatively safe
9. I enjoyed living in both places when I was younger (college student in MA, early 20's in CA), then disliked it more when I came back for my 2nd tour (early 30's in CA, 40 to present day in MA)
Differences

1. Quality of public school education
2. Weather
3. Geography/topography
4. Suburbs sprawl more in CA than in MA

I'm sure there are more differences (and similarities) but that's just off the top of my head for now.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:53 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,497 times
Default comparing SF and Boston

I've lived in both cities

Both are organized around neighborhoods
Both cities are small, compact and walkable
Both cities have the same approximate population of 750,000 (city only not including the greater metropolitan area)
Both cities are have other cities nearby that have at least one first-rate university (Harvard and MIT in Cambridge, U.Cal Berkeley)
Both have a large population of well educated people.
Both are expensive although SF, particularly housing, is more expensive
Both have public transit systems although Boston's
(MBTA affectionately called the T) is better because unlike SF, it is a unified system which goes out to the suburbs whereas SF relies on multiple transit systems to travel between the city and suburbs (AC Transit, Westcat, BART, Muni)
Both are considered safe especially compared to other cities
Both are near the ocean
Both have good seafood
SF has milder weather than Boston
In general, the quality of the public schools is better in Boston than in SF
SF is located in a more politically conservative state than Boston. For example, CA has the death penalty whereas MA does not. California is culturally liberal, but politically conservative. Massachusetts, on the other hand, is culturally conservative but politically liberal.
The sales tax is higher in SF and is levied on clothes whereas the sales tax in Boston is lower and is not levied on clothes unless they are considered luxury items.
Boston has a larger percentage of African Americans than SF
Boston drivers are more aggressive than SF drivers making it more of a challenge to drive in Boston.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Boston did NOT have the Fillmore East. That honor went to NYC.

Boston is very segregated. San Francisco is not.

Chinatown in San Francisco is very large and fun to visit. It is not (and used to be quite dangerous) in Boston.

Both cities had elevated freeways that came down. Mother Nature helped in San Francisco (the 1989 quake damaged the Embarcadero Freeway and it had to come down but it was an eyesore anyway) and the Central Artery finally came down.

Only tourists do Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf whereas locals and tourists alike will do the North End, Haymarket and Fanueil Hall.

Boston's Italian neighborhood is called the North End.

San Francisco's Italian neighborhood is called North Beach.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Chinatown in San Francisco is very large and fun to visit. It is not (and used to be quite dangerous) in Boston.
Boston's may not be fun to visit, but it's the only place around to get some decent (authentic) Chinese food.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Boston's may not be fun to visit, but it's the only place around to get some decent (authentic) Chinese food.
That's true. And hence, another difference. It is NOT true in SF. There is great Chinese (Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.) to be found city-wide and in the 'burbs.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
They are both expensive. The vibe was completely different in San Francisco than Boston...not in a bad way or anything, but the cities have two different feelings to them.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM

223 posts, read 1,173,149 times
As a native New Englander, I've visited Boston dozens of times. I've also visited San Francisco. I have to say that I don't find much similarity between the cities. Granted, they're both great places to spend time in, but they have very different atmospheres and their suburbs bear nothing in common.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
As a native New Englander, I've visited Boston dozens of times. I've also visited San Francisco. I have to say that I don't find much similarity between the cities. Granted, they're both great places to spend time in, but they have very different atmospheres and their suburbs bear nothing in common.
I agree and why would you want two cities to be very similar. I think every city should have a different "personality" to it.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:03 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,610 times
I love SF, but the historical significance of Boston is second to none. Maybe the title of the thread shoud have been "Is San Francisco the Boston of the West Coast?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston